Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

416 posts, read 931,179 times

Advertisements

[quote=CouponJack;18391275]Your existing cable price is somewhat high...(i can get the triple play (cable/internet/phone) for $100/month (even less w/o the internet) I do also require a landline. Did you include that in your cost?

I don't have a landline. Got MagicJack, but that was a waste of money. Its fine for what it is, but I don't need a landline. Have a $60/month cell phone plan for my wife and me. Who needs a landline nowadays?

Triple Play doesn't include DVR. Since I can already get all the stations regular cable offered, the only advantage to TWC was the additional HD channels and DVR. Not enough to justify the $140/month cost.

As for streaming digital cable channels, I really don't stream shows. They are all on hulu. Go to hulu.com on your computer and check it out. Tons of free stuff. For sports, I do have to search for someone broadcasting the game over the internet. Then I just send the feed from the computer to the TV. Its not HD, but I'm not going to pay $140/month just for the advantage of watching a game in HD. I can go to a sports bar and grab dinner and a couple of beers and watch all the games 5-6 times a month for the cost of cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,783,241 times
[quote=Gumbo;18406995]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Your existing cable price is somewhat high...(i can get the triple play (cable/internet/phone) for $100/month (even less w/o the internet) I do also require a landline. Did you include that in your cost?

I don't have a landline. Got MagicJack, but that was a waste of money. Its fine for what it is, but I don't need a landline. Have a $60/month cell phone plan for my wife and me. Who needs a landline nowadays?

Triple Play doesn't include DVR. Since I can already get all the stations regular cable offered, the only advantage to TWC was the additional HD channels and DVR. Not enough to justify the $140/month cost.

As for streaming digital cable channels, I really don't stream shows. They are all on hulu. Go to hulu.com on your computer and check it out. Tons of free stuff. For sports, I do have to search for someone broadcasting the game over the internet. Then I just send the feed from the computer to the TV. Its not HD, but I'm not going to pay $140/month just for the advantage of watching a game in HD. I can go to a sports bar and grab dinner and a couple of beers and watch all the games 5-6 times a month for the cost of cable.
I don't doubt the alternatives, but just so we're straight on the stories, if someone is looking for TWC and internet they can pay less than $100/month for it...(not 140/month just for cable like you state.)

Also, I just looked on hulu and picked 2 of my favorite shows (ultimate pawn & bizarre foods w/Andrew Zimmern) are not listed as available. So unless I'm looking at something wrong, you don't get all the stations that a digital cable package will offer, correct?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,050,781 times
Here's something to think about.

Look at how much you are paying for Cable/ Dish / Direct etc.

Now for an entire month write down every program you watch and I mean actually watch tv, as in sit down and watch (live or DVR'ed does not matter), on in background is not watching.

Now from that list remove everything that's on a broadcast channel.

Look at what you have left, allow $1 for every program.

If your total is significantly less than your bill, you should cut the cord.

If you are close to your bill keep an eye on it, look at different times of the year.

If the total is way more than your bill then you are right to keep paying for the service.

Every household will be different the above quick guide will tell you if you are over paying for what you actually watch.

I did this which was finally persuaded me to cut the cord, I really expected to resign fairly quickly, still have no intentions to go back at the moment.

Last edited by flyingscotsman; 03-23-2011 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Changed details

Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 AM

[quote=CouponJack;18408457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post

I don't doubt the alternatives, but just so we're straight on the stories, if someone is looking for TWC and internet they can pay less than $100/month for it...(not 140/month just for cable like you state.)

Also, I just looked on hulu and picked 2 of my favorite shows (ultimate pawn & bizarre foods w/Andrew Zimmern) are not listed as available. So unless I'm looking at something wrong, you don't get all the stations that a digital cable package will offer, correct?
Not sure if either is on Hulu. I couldn't find anything online about a show called "Ultimate Pawn". You sure you have the name right? Doesn't look like Bizarre foods streams their shows. Bizarre Foods in on Netflix though, so my $7.99 covers that. I'm sure there are torrents out there for Ultimate Pawn, so I could download and watch it if I was dying to see it.It is true that you can get cable cheaper than $140/month. I listed my prior cable setup. Digital Cable with 2 HD DVR boxes. $100 is a package deal and I think its only good for a year (although they would probably renew if you threatened to leave). Does not provide a DVR box, so you'd have to use a VCR to record shows. The phone option is just internet phone which can be had much cheaper with Magic Jack.Again, the setup I use isn't for everyone. It takes a little research and a little tech know-how to get everything working. But everything (and I mean everything) is out on the internet (either streaming or downloading).

Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 AM

847 posts, read 1,356,286 times
[quote=Gumbo;18418481]
Quote:

Not sure if either is on Hulu. I couldn't find anything online about a show called "Ultimate Pawn". You sure you have the name right? Doesn't look like Bizarre foods streams their shows. Bizarre Foods in on Netflix though, so my $7.99 covers that. I'm sure there are torrents out there for Ultimate Pawn, so I could download and watch it if I was dying to see it.It is true that you can get cable cheaper than $140/month. I listed my prior cable setup. Digital Cable with 2 HD DVR boxes. $100 is a package deal and I think its only good for a year (although they would probably renew if you threatened to leave). Does not provide a DVR box, so you'd have to use a VCR to record shows. The phone option is just internet phone which can be had much cheaper with Magic Jack.Again, the setup I use isn't for everyone. It takes a little research and a little tech know-how to get everything working. But everything (and I mean everything) is out on the internet (either streaming or downloading).

You can find absolutely any TV show you would want to want on torrent sites. SD or HD, so if someone ones to go that route, all you have to do is wait most of the time no more than 20 minutes after it has aired, and download it and watch it.

That is also the same way with movies, PPVs, or anything else you could think of but downloading the movies and a lot of the other stuff is piracy so when downloading anything other than TV shows, do so at your own risk.

Last edited by wevie; 03-24-2011 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: movies

Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,467,033 times
[quote=wevie;18418738]
Quote:

You can find absolutely any TV show you would want to want on torrent sites. SD or HD, so if someone ones to go that route, all you have to do is wait most of the time no more than 20 minutes after it has aired, and download it and watch it.

That is also the same way with movies, PPVs, or anything else you could think of but downloading the movies and a lot of the other stuff is piracy so when downloading anything other than TV shows, do so at your own risk.
Companies produce and sell TV shows. It is still piracy like movies, music, (paid) software, etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the arse. I'm just very comfortable w/the setup I have, and to make the monumental change from Cable/Satellite is huge. Like everything else I do, I want to be sure of all the good, all the bad, how difficult, what shows, whats the true cost, etc..........Less surprises the better w/a TRUE apples to apples comparison.

Nothing is perfect but, It sounds better and better the more I find out...I'm not saying I'll go out tomorrow and jump ship, however I think the next step is to spend some time seriously investigating. much appreciated. And I'm sure many here are appreciative....

Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the arse. I'm just very comfortable w/the setup I have, and to make the monumental change from Cable/Satellite is huge. Like everything else I do, I want to be sure of all the good, all the bad, how difficult, what shows, whats the true cost, etc..........Less surprises the better w/a TRUE apples to apples comparison.

Nothing is perfect but, It sounds better and better the more I find out...I'm not saying I'll go out tomorrow and jump ship, however I think the next step is to spend some time seriously investigating. much appreciated. And I'm sure many here are appreciative....

The ugly truth is that whether you go with TWC, Dish, or Direct TV, you will eventually grow to hate them. They give you a teaser rate, then up your rates a year later. Just make sure you play the game every year when the increase comes. They are all up to negotiating.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The ugly truth is that whether you go with TWC, Dish, or Direct TV, you will eventually grow to hate them. They give you a teaser rate, then up your rates a year later. Just make sure you play the game every year when the increase comes. They are all up to negotiating.
Yes, for those who don't know, TWC has what's called a "retention department"....get to know them if you want to keep your rates from being jacked up.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,310,506 times
Quote:
Yes, for those who don't know, TWC has what's called a "retention department"....get to know them if you want to keep your rates from being jacked up.
Pretty much every service provider that isn't a monopoly has a retention department. I call TWC every year so my internet doesn't go up. I call Dish as well, but they've been less generous. For that and other reasons I'm looking for another TV option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte