Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,927 times

Advertisements

I was Cornelius today and didn't come to a complete stop as a pedestrian crossed. The crosswalk had one of those stop signs in the middle of it...I slowed to a rolling stop and when they had almost fully crossed I rolled through the crosswalk. I was NO WHERE near them the whole time. Out of no where, blue lights. The officer said that was his job today--stopping people who didn't completely stop.

My question is this...how serious of an offence is this? Is it points on my license, insurance going up, etc? The fine is $35...do I pay that and not worry about it? The officer and lady at the station were no help in answering these questions.

The citation reads...unlawfully and willfully within a (business district) by failing to yield the right of way to a pedestrian crossing such highway within a (clearly marked crosswalk) (g.s. 20-155(c))

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 04:28 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
According to http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/sessions...df/h1046v6.pdf, Failure to yield is a 4 point violation. This will most certainly cause your insurance rates to go up- quite probably considerably. If it were me, I would certainly retain an attorney- the few hundred dollars you spend now may come back to you as insurance savings later.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
In before people chastising you for refusing to follow driving laws, and implying this must be how you live the rest of your life.

Because you know it's coming.

That said, despite the fact that you did technically having a traffic infraction, I like how the officer was pointing out that he was collecting revenue today, instead of protecting and serving.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:23 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I'd go to the court date, state my case to the DA, and see if they'd be willing to drop the citation.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
According to http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/sessions...df/h1046v6.pdf, Failure to yield is a 4 point violation. This will most certainly cause your insurance rates to go up- quite probably considerably. If it were me, I would certainly retain an attorney- the few hundred dollars you spend now may come back to you as insurance savings later.
That's while operating a commercial vehicle. OP may not be, so it's "only" three points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips&Dip View Post
I was Cornelius today and didn't come to a complete stop as a pedestrian crossed. The crosswalk had one of those stop signs in the middle of it...I slowed to a rolling stop and when they had almost fully crossed I rolled through the crosswalk. I was NO WHERE near them the whole time. Out of no where, blue lights. The officer said that was his job today--stopping people who didn't completely stop.

My question is this...how serious of an offence is this? Is it points on my license, insurance going up, etc? The fine is $35...do I pay that and not worry about it? The officer and lady at the station were no help in answering these questions.

The citation reads...unlawfully and willfully within a (business district) by failing to yield the right of way to a pedestrian crossing such highway within a (clearly marked crosswalk) (g.s. 20-155(c))

Thanks
I would ask on a few legal forums to see what the overall view is. You may also consult a local attorney who specializes in traffic violations. From past experience many of these things go away or are reduced because of who knows who and how quickly an attorney can dispose of it rather than a layman fumbling his way through the court system.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
i know if you go to court in UC and pay fine they reduce or drop charge so no pts are charged. I went thru stop sign and officer wrote ticket and told me if I showed for court it would get reduced. I paid my $50 fine and sure enough he was right.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
In before people chastising you for refusing to follow driving laws, and implying this must be how you live the rest of your life.

Because you know it's coming.

That said, despite the fact that you did technically having a traffic infraction, I like how the officer was pointing out that he was collecting revenue today, instead of protecting and serving.
Yeah I admit that I didn't wait till they were fully across the street...they were out of harm's way. The officer said, but "they could have changed their minds and darted back across." I'm fine with the ticket I just don't like how after he pulled me he made his way back to his spot to wait for the next lawbreaker.

The court cost is $141 so I'm thinking I'll go on my date and ask that it be reduced or thrown out so my insurance won't go up

Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Thanks for at least letting us know how they play the game in CORNONEIOUS

Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips&Dip View Post
I'm fine with the ticket I just don't like how after he pulled me he made his way back to his spot to wait for the next lawbreaker.
Well if people did not break the law they would not need to do that.

Everybody forgets driving is a privilege not a right.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM

299 posts, read 589,758 times
Just get a lawyer, at least try and save yourself from the points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: