Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,663,278 times

Advertisements

Well, now that I've moved from the 'burbs back into Charlotte proper, I'm trying to spend more time walking instead of driving whenever I can. However, I've go to admit I'm a bit baffled by pedestrian crossing signals.

Last night, I was crossing the intersection at the crosswalk. I'm walking across multiple lanes with the oncoming traffic to my left. I get the walk signal, so I step off the curb and head across the road. I hear the sounds of screeching brakes to my left, and I look up to see that the right-hand turn lane gets a green arrow at the same time I get the WALK signal.

Am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Well, now that I've moved from the 'burbs back into Charlotte proper, I'm trying to spend more time walking instead of driving whenever I can. However, I've go to admit I'm a bit baffled by pedestrian crossing signals.

Last night, I was crossing the intersection at the crosswalk. I'm walking across multiple lanes with the oncoming traffic to my left. I get the walk signal, so I step off the curb and head across the road. I hear the sounds of screeching brakes to my left, and I look up to see that the right-hand turn lane gets a green arrow at the same time I get the WALK signal.

Am I missing something here?
Stay on the curb until the drivers finishes their text message or cell phone call. Americans don't comprehend signs or signals. If you want to see something funny, go watch drivers at roundabouts. Even though there is normally a sigh saying that the drivers in the roundabout have the right of way, most people are confused. I remember in Clearwater, Fl. Beach when they spend millions on a roundabout that had to finally be removed because of the accidents. Don't trust Americans behind the wheel. They are too often not aware of what they are doing.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,663,278 times
As a driver, I am of course always wary of pedestrians. But I don't think I'd normally be yielding the right-of-way to a pedestrian at a crosswalk when I have a green arrow, especially since I have no way of seeing the crosswalk signals from across the street from my position in the vehicle.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:20 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,631,678 times
My understanding is that the Walk signal and the right arrow signal should not be on at the same time. Otherwise the exact scenario you described would always happen.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 AM

124 posts, read 440,735 times
It's a confusing situation with 2 lights being green at the same time, but maybe this will help, from the NC Driver's Handbook, page 47:

Quote:
• When crossing with a green signal,
pedestrians have the right of way over all
vehicles, including those turning across
the paths of the pedestrians;

Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,631,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
It's a confusing situation with 2 lights being green at the same time, but maybe this will help, from the NC Driver's Handbook, page 47:
Ya, but the lights going straight ahead should not have been green. Usually, the right green arrow is only illuminated when the other intersections have a green left turn signal.

Example:

You are going East on Independence and are making a left onto Sam Newell. You get a left green arrow to turn onto Sam Newell. At the same time, traffic turning West onto Independence from Sam Newell get a right green arrow.

There shouldn't be a situation where the green right arrow and the Walk signal are on at the same time because the other traffic probably has a green left arrow.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:06 AM

129 posts, read 339,271 times
you had the right of way, the car had the right of mass.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,025,045 times
Sounds like a faulty light. What intersection was this? I would call DOT or the city to find out who is in charge of that. Then again, some of the intersections have only arrows as lights, which is confusing. Even uptown on regular signals, drivers think they have the right of way making turns. You just have to be careful. Sometimes its safer to cross in the middle of the street where you have a clear sightline, especially if there is a median. Can't tell you how many close calls I've had. Or how many times someone has kept inching into the crosswalk trying to get me to walk faster.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,560,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Sounds like a faulty light.
Agreed. Pedestrians always have the right of way, but traffic lights should not encourage accidents.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 AM

416 posts, read 928,656 times
Its not a faulty light. The driver needs to pay better attention to pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte