Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,911,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
My guess would be that it is because we're in the south.

I think you're reading WAY too far into that comment, FWIW.
Sorry that you don't see an insult when one is issued, especially if you are a southerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,030,862 times
Here is an interesting discussion on the observer's Web site about pedestrian-friendly ratings. Charlotte is one of the worst cities in this category. The rest of the worse are Southern cities:

The Naked City: Walking? Hazardous duty in Raleigh, Charlotte

I think there is definitely a different attitude toward pedestrians in the South than in the North -- even in smaller towns. Walking is something that people in the north are familiar with -- to some degree. And the police will actually file charges against drivers who hit pedestrians. That doesn't really happen here. Plus, I've noticed that disparaging jokes about killing pedestrians are more common in the South than in the North...at least among the people I know. Appalachian trail hikers will tell you that on the portions of road in the South, the locals enjoy playing games of chicken, drivers throwing stuff at hikers. Doesn't really happen in the North.

But really, lack of pedestrian safety is a nationwide thing. We've made roads SO inaccessible and dangerous for pedestrians that many people spend all of their time in suburban areas like University City or Ballantyne and NEVER see a pedestrian. Or aren't trained to think that pedestrians have the right of way, or even that they matter.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Here is an interesting discussion on the observer's Web site about pedestrian-friendly ratings. Charlotte is one of the worst cities in this category. The rest of the worse are Southern cities:

I think there is definitely a different attitude toward pedestrians in the South than in the North -- even in smaller towns. Walking is something that people in the north are familiar with -- to some degree. And the police will actually file charges against drivers who hit pedestrians. That doesn't really happen here. Plus, I've noticed that disparaging jokes about killing pedestrians are more common in the South than in the North...at least among the people I know. Appalachian trail hikers will tell you that on the portions of road in the South, the locals enjoy playing games of chicken, drivers throwing stuff at hikers. Doesn't really happen in the North.

But really, lack of pedestrian safety is a nationwide thing. We've made roads SO inaccessible and dangerous for pedestrians that many people spend all of their time in suburban areas like University City or Ballantyne and NEVER see a pedestrian. Or aren't trained to think that pedestrians have the right of way, or even that they matter.

So a driver is charged up north when he hits a pedestrian even when the pedestrian walks in front of a car while not at a pedestrian crossing?

You have found "disparaging jokes about killing pedestrians common in the south? Funny, I have never, ever heard such a joke. Where would you actually be to hear such idiotic jokes?

The only place I have found where a pedestrian is usually safe is in the U.K. where the zebra crossing dominates.

Just remember, percent of the people in Charlotte are from another state, so it is likely that that little piece of information has been overlooked and the majority of these dangerous drivers, which I am aware exist, are not all from the south.

Last edited by vindaloo; 11-11-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,573,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
So a driver is charged up north when he hits a pedestrian even when the pedestrian walks in front of a car while not at a pedestrian crissing?
Pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way, even if there is no crossing, from my understanding (could be wrong). People aren't arrested here if they hit someone? Is that even true.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,791,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Why "south"?
that's where Charlotte is

right?

Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way, even if there is no crossing, from my understanding (could be wrong). People aren't arrested here if they hit someone? Is that even true.
Not true. Pedestrians are to cross the street at designated crossings in the city of Charlotte. If they don't they are liable for jaywalking and will occasionally get a ticket. A pedestrian only has the right of way in designated pedestrian crossings including traffic signals.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
that's where Charlotte is

right?
You don't know?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 AM

23 posts, read 52,743 times
Default Being a pedestrian- what am I missing here?

Superk, I am glad you survived your near-miss; unfortunately, I have seen your scenario ( red forward light, green turn arrow, pedestrian walk sign) several times while driving aroung Charlotte. It is not that unusual here.

Even though right turners are supposed to come to a stop before proceeding with their turn ( C-D-ers, correct me if that is wrong), they seldom do; maybe a rolling stop at best. Even with pedestrian right-of way, I think you have to walk defensively around here, and assume that someone will come to a stop within the walk lane, run the light, or turn without stopping

A contest between a "right" pedestrian and a "wrong" vehicle will always be lost by the pedestrian, right or wrong. So walk accordingly. Good luck out there!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,673,277 times
Guess I'm not the only one with this issue:

Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
NCN

21,668 posts, read 25,680,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
culture clash.

you get an inexperienced driver from the small-town south, and they have no experience dealing with pedestrians.
A small town driver would have much more experience dealing with pedestrians than those people who move here and think the light is the law. Be careful when driving is the rule all the time.

When we lived in small town, USA one of the biggest things you had to watch was the people crossing the street when you wanted to make a right or left turn. Why would you say something like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte