Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:55 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,847,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Thanks for the help all.

This is what makes me hesitate. I'm aware that housing is much cheaper but those words are what scare me.

NoVA/DC wasn't hit hard at all from the recession. The general unemployment rate in the Washington Metro Area is 6.1% as of January 2011 vs 11.1% for the Charlotte metro area according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. But of course you guys have the in-depth knowledge past the numbers.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

What I'm afraid of is getting laid off and being unable to find work without moving. I know of several cases where people had to move to the DC area for work and were stuck with a house in another area.

So here's a follow up question: If I were to get laid off in the Charlotte area, how long would you estimate it would take me to find work again?

In the NoVA/DC area, I feel like it would take me less than a month or weeks even. A friend of mine to reiterate got several job offers within weeks when he got laid off here. In fact, it only took me three weeks to secure a job offer in DC while I was still in upstate NY.

I have a year of internship experience and 2.5 years of full time experience. For the SErs that are helping me out, I've dabbled in several languages but the vast majority of my experience is in Java.

Thanks again for the help all.
I'd advise sitting tight where you are for a while before making up your mind. There are data centers coming outside of Charlotte. There are other businesses coming outside of Charlotte. I would suggest watching posts here, & using the search this forum feature to see the various job announcements that have been posted. You can also check out Greenville/Spartanburg, Greensboro (The Triad) & Raleigh/Durham (The Triangle)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 PM

110 posts, read 317,044 times
When the two banks were imploding in Charlotte, one selling at $3/share and the other selling for 2 billion on a flea market, I was scared for my job here in IT. Those are big employers in Charlotte and I thought the world was crashing down. But now, I hear the market in Charlotte is hot for Java developers. Go figure.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM

748 posts, read 1,776,368 times
One of our guys just got a job at MicroSoft in Charlotte and loves it.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM

531 posts, read 1,082,985 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help all.

This is what makes me hesitate. I'm aware that housing is much cheaper but those words are what scare me.

NoVA/DC wasn't hit hard at all from the recession. The general unemployment rate in the Washington Metro Area is 6.1% as of January 2011 vs 11.1% for the Charlotte metro area according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. But of course you guys have the in-depth knowledge past the numbers.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

What I'm afraid of is getting laid off and being unable to find work without moving. I know of several cases where people had to move to the DC area for work and were stuck with a house in another area.

So here's a follow up question: If I were to get laid off in the Charlotte area, how long would you estimate it would take me to find work again?

In the NoVA/DC area, I feel like it would take me less than a month or weeks even. A friend of mine to reiterate got several job offers within weeks when he got laid off here. In fact, it only took me three weeks to secure a job offer in DC while I was still in upstate NY.

I have a year of internship experience and 2.5 years of full time experience. For the SErs that are helping me out, I've dabbled in several languages but the vast majority of my experience is in Java.

Thanks again for the help all.
You might have an option - If you lose job, then take up consulting; travelling mon-thu. Charlotte airport is well connected.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 AM

248 posts, read 703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Just for reference, I don't think 62k is much for a SE. But judging by your age, you might be right out of school.
2.5 years out, but if this is true then every single one of my peers is getting #@$^ed over.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM

150 posts, read 325,860 times
are you competitive? There are plenty of jobs available as Software Engineers.

software engineer Jobs in Charlotte, North Carolina | Monster.com

Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM

531 posts, read 1,082,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
are you competitive? There are plenty of jobs available as Software Engineers.

software engineer Jobs in Charlotte, North Carolina | Monster.com
Plenty available on the paper - however lot of things come into play. Skills and networking help a lot.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,300,550 times
Quote:

NoVA/DC wasn't hit hard at all from the recession. The general unemployment rate in the Washington Metro Area is 6.1% as of January 2011 vs 11.1% for the Charlotte metro area according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Of course it wasn't hit by the recession. 99.9% of the employment there is completely dependent upon vast and now obscene federal government spending. If people don't directly work for the federal government they work for a business that depends upon it, tries to influence it, and wants a piece of the spending. DC and the places where they pump oil & gas out of the round, will always be recession proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte