Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 07:36 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,535,261 times

Advertisements

I've read many posts that judge an area by the quality of its nightlife. Well, I'm not into the club scene, nor am I interested in eating after midnight.

I like to do things in the daytime. Where are some great places to go in the Charlotte area (besides Carowinds, I have a season pass) where I can have a good time? I like to explore, I like history. Preferably something outdoors. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
Charlotte Museum of the New South. Latta Plantation. Jetton Park or Ramsey Creek Park. Reedy Creek Nature Museum.

Any of our neighbouring communities (Concord, Statesville) to see the historical old towns and the associated things...for example, Statesville has some old log cabins and a covered bridge.

There are also many state parks, historic battle grounds and mountains nearby.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM

128 posts, read 272,393 times
Try the US Whitewater Center: U.S. National Whitewater Center :: Whitewater Rafting, Biking, Climbing, Kayaking, Ziplines, Food, and Fun. - Come Play! . It has a lot of trails and fun outdoor activities in addition to the whitewater rafting, kayaking, zip lines, etc.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I've read many posts that judge an area by the quality of its nightlife. Well, I'm not into the club scene, nor am I interested in eating after midnight.
Me either, I am married with two kids and am way beyond that!
Although I would not rule out eating after midnight in my home - I made some amazing pulled pork yesterday and enjoyed a leftover BBQ sandwich around 1am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I like to do things in the daytime. Where are some great places to go in the Charlotte area (besides Carowinds, I have a season pass) where I can have a good time? I like to explore, I like history. Preferably something outdoors. Any help would be appreciated.
You mentioned Carowinds and we also always get season's passes.
Thursday we took the kids from 4-6PM. Might go later today say 5-8PM.

NC is rich in history and Charlotte is a stellar location for day trips with modest cost. We routinely day-trip the NC mountains a few times a month: Chimney Rock & Lake Lure, Mt Mitchell (highest point on the east coast), Asheville, Grandfather Mt, or just riding the Blue Ridge Parkway.

CLT museums have been mentioned and that is a great start along with the James K Polk homeplace. Unfortunately CLT has a way of not preserving her history very well. But small towns are close by that preserve old Americana such as Newton.
Old town square, a historic diner with blue plate specials, and close to one of the very few surviving covered bridges in NC.
You must visit Murray's Mill near Newton.

Mt Airy is also a great daytrip, this is Mayberry!

Gold Hill is interesting as well, part of the NC Gold boom.
Complete historic village that predates the California Gold Rush.

Lots of interesting stuff around to explore, but unfortunately little is in Charlotte proper.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:01 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,535,261 times
Thanks Mullman. You have pointed me in the right direction. I will do a search of some of the smaller towns in NW North Carolina and see what I an find.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
We have some interesting battlefields here too.
Cowpens National Battlefield - Areaparks.com
NC Historic Sites
Loyalist Institute: Hanging Rock Battlefield
How to Tour Revolutionary War Battlefields of South Carolina | eHow.com

Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Based on your other thread, I take it that you are west of Charlotte, to some degree.

There is Kings Mountain State Park About This Park - Kings Mountain State Park - South Carolina Parks & Kings Mountain National Battlefield Kings Mountain National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service) in SC. On the way down, you could make a minor detour to Inn of the Patriots. it's a bed & breakfast with a little museum. 704-937-2940 - The Presidential Culinary Museum at The Inn of the Patriots Bed & Breakfast Hotel, Grover, NC Apparently, there is something being developed there, that will straddle the state line, sort of a living history/resort type of thing, but the little museum seems to be all that's there now.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,004 times
Unless I've missed it, no one has mentioned the historic district in 4th Ward where you can (easily) walk the entire neighborhood and see the gorgoeus Victorian homes that have been lovingly restored (and many of them have been moved from other locations in Charlotte). I'm always surprised by how many people do not know that this incredibly beautiful neighborhood exists. It's very shady so it's great on the hottest days, and you can always pop into Alexander Michael's for a cold drink and some great pub food afterwards. The newspaper prints from the Observer's 1950's and 60's society pages in the ladies room are awesome! Watch out for that pole!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
All good suggestions so far. I'd add Reed Gold Mine (great to tour the cool mine on a hot summer day!), the Lazy 5 Ranch up in Mooresville, and Kings Mountain National Battleground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte