Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM

96 posts, read 147,118 times

Advertisements

at least we don't have @BronxZoosCobra! Bronx Zoo's Cobra (BronxZoosCobra) on Twitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM

58 posts, read 145,645 times
Thumbs up Creepies

Katreese,

Some great humorous replies above...

The fact is, Charlotte's moderate weather attracts bugs and wildlife as effectively as it does New Yorkers.

You'll want a termite service and bonding. Insurance really.
Silverfish and the occasional spider happen. No house is so tight as to eliminate them.
Japanese Beetles arrive every summer like clockwork and swarm for 3-4 weeks
Wasps and wood bees happen.
On the more exotic front, we have had a possum vs dog midnight melee, an 8 ft black snake in the garage (via open garage door), a family of flying squirrels in the attic and a big grey squirrel who played a two hour game of catch me if you can.

After all of that, i'll say this... Our beautiful wooded city is worth it. We are in Phoenix right now and there we have 3-4" flying roaches, scorpions (potentially even in bed), and wasps the size of hummingbirds. I will take my NC pests ANY day!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 AM

361 posts, read 1,946,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeach99 View Post
We are in Phoenix right now and there we have 3-4" flying roaches, scorpions (potentially even in bed), and wasps the size of hummingbirds. I will take my NC pests ANY day!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM

873 posts, read 1,803,647 times
No such thing as a termite "bond"! And of all the things you mentioned, the only thing that we don't have in the Charlotte area would be scorpions. (They are in other parts of the state, just not in this area.)

You'd be better off concerning yourself with 2-legged vermin in the Charlotte area. They're much more likely to cause you imminent danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeach99 View Post
Katreese,

Some great humorous replies above...

The fact is, Charlotte's moderate weather attracts bugs and wildlife as effectively as it does New Yorkers.

You'll want a termite service and bonding. Insurance really.
Silverfish and the occasional spider happen. No house is so tight as to eliminate them.
Japanese Beetles arrive every summer like clockwork and swarm for 3-4 weeks
Wasps and wood bees happen.
On the more exotic front, we have had a possum vs dog midnight melee, an 8 ft black snake in the garage (via open garage door), a family of flying squirrels in the attic and a big grey squirrel who played a two hour game of catch me if you can.

After all of that, i'll say this... Our beautiful wooded city is worth it. We are in Phoenix right now and there we have 3-4" flying roaches, scorpions (potentially even in bed), and wasps the size of hummingbirds. I will take my NC pests ANY day!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
Creepy crawlies in Charlotte?-gianthornet1.jpg

(Just kidding. That's an Asian Giant Hornet.)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,971 times
ive been in my home for 2 years and havent seen any of the above. you have nothing to worry about. charlotte is a very clean city.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
...squirrels,... honey bees, ...caterpillars, inch worms, moths, butterflies, birds, deer,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchambers View Post
ive been in my home for 2 years and havent seen any of the above. you have nothing to worry about. charlotte is a very clean city.
dang, too bad. you must live in ballantyne

Old 04-01-2011, 05:59 AM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
No such thing as a termite "bond"! And of all the things you mentioned, the only thing that we don't have in the Charlotte area would be scorpions. (They are in other parts of the state, just not in this area.)
I live in Waxhaw and my neighbor had one fall from a ceiling light fixture right in front of them. I was miffed. I have lived in NC all my life and that was the first one I had ever seen. We could not figure out how it would have gotten there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
You'd be better off concerning yourself with 2-legged vermin in the Charlotte area. They're much more likely to cause you imminent danger.
AMEN

Old 04-01-2011, 06:58 AM

24 posts, read 41,784 times
You forgot the wild pigs & cow killers (velvet ants) !!

seriously, while all those creatures are here, many only show up when you become a slob or do things that attract them. Some properties will attract a higher % of them. Lake properties or properties near/around water will have more mosquitos, that sort of thing.

Copperheads are poisonous and can be found. They look like they have Hershey kisses running down their side. I've seen a few in the 10 years I've been here. I've seen more black snakes (which are safe but still creep me out) and brown worm like snakes (ewww!). I see a snake once, maybe twice a year.

silverfish- it seems you either have 'em or you don't, but I've never seen more than one or two at a time and you can easily squish them with a tissue.

From time to time I see earwigs-I haven't figured out if there is a 'season' or if something in my yard is attracting them.

FIRE ANTS- are probably the ones that are the biggest PIA. They will start a nest in your yard that just looks like fluffy dirt and you accidentally step on it in flip flops and then they are stinging all over your foot, and those suckers HURT.

Flies/spiders- just the fact they exist bothers me, lol. Hate them both. They aren't any more prevalent here than they are any other place I've lived (Pittsburgh & Minneapolis).

Mosquito's- not near as many or painful as the ones in Minneapolis. If you have standing water, you have them, otherwise just the usual dusk/dawn nippers.

Roaches-housekeeping will keep these away, I haven't seen the big palmetto bugs (knock on wood)

velvet ants- stay far, far away from these suckers. nicknamed "cow killers". I've only seen 2-3 in the time I've been here, but I've heard they are nasty and will scream when you try to kill them!! They aren't really ants, I think they actually belong to some sort of wasp family. They look like giant ants though. Super bright red and black. And you usually only see one, maybe two (male & female) at a time.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 AM

24 posts, read 41,784 times
on scorpions....there were a few at the neighborhood pool last year, was kinda fun watching the lifeguard try to beat it with a broom.....the scorpion was winning for quite a long time, lol.

I know alot of people that go barefoot here....but I wouldn't, and certainly won't let my kids, not unless its on pavement where you can see if you are going to step on something.

too many painful stingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte