Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,663,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That 08 team was stacked with talent... great speech but c'mon, look at 2009 when Harvin and half the D left. Where was the speech then?

I like what Tebow stands for, I like his message but something about it rubs me the wrong way. It just seems like his prayer, his drive and his belief trumps other in the NFL or college. They said there would never be another QB like Tebow in the SEC and the next year Cam destroys the SEC.

It's football not war or famine... I get it, he is the good guy but his drive isn't any better then the next guy. He may be better or make a better play on a drive but his drive is no different then the guy from the slums who makes it out or the guy with no talent who works hard to beat out better talent like a Wes Welker or Hines Ward.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,283,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Olsen is really good. Martz system at Chicago did not need a receiving TE. Thus, he was tradeable. Here is a nice article when the trade happened...
Panthers got a steal in veteran TE Olsen - CBSSports.com

Olsen to date has caught over half the balls targeted in his direction. His numbers would be pushing real well if he didn't split time with Shockey.

Next you got the Top 5 Steve Smith. He has two great runningbacks, Williams and Stewart, to dump balls as well.

Now lets look at Ponder...
You have Peterson, underachieving this year. Still though a good weapon. Then what... Harvin? Alright, on any other team pushed to kick returns. Who else is there... Shiancoe... Jenkins... Camerillo... come on dude. These cats aren't even anywhere close to people that Panthers have at the skill positions. Heck, even Naanee with those butter fingers are better than those guys.

Fun Fact: All 3 of Carolina's runningbacks average more yards per carry (each) than Minnesota's main weapon Peterson.

We will see how Newton handles Houston's top defense in 2 weeks. Cincy gets them this upcoming weekend.
It doesn't matter how he performs against Houston, he will always be considered a running back to some folks, dismissing his QB ability, it's pointless.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,663,797 times
Quote:
Olsen is really good. Martz system at Chicago did not need a receiving TE. Thus, he was tradeable. Here is a nice article when the trade happened...
Panthers got a steal in veteran TE Olsen - CBSSports.com

Olsen to date has caught over half the balls targeted in his direction. His numbers would be pushing real well if he didn't split time with Shockey.

Next you got the Top 5 Steve Smith. He has two great runningbacks, Williams and Stewart, to dump balls as well.

Now lets look at Ponder...
You have Peterson, underachieving this year. Still though a good weapon. Then what... Harvin? Alright, on any other team pushed to kick returns. Who else is there... Shiancoe... Jenkins... Camerillo... come on dude. These cats aren't even anywhere close to people that Panthers have at the skill positions. Heck, even Naanee with those butter fingers are better than those guys.

Fun Fact: All 3 of Carolina's runningbacks average more yards per carry (each) than Minnesota's main weapon Peterson.

We will see how Newton handles Houston's top defense in 2 weeks. Cincy gets them this upcoming weekend.
Peterson averages 4.7 and Stewart and Williams are 4.8 and 4.9.. LOL

Fun Fact: Peterson has 70 more touches then each of those guys so .1 yards is nothing to brag about.

After Smith and Harvin it's a wash at WR... Lafell and NeNone aren't any better then Jenkins and whoever they have. Carolina has better tight ends but it's not that much better. At the end of the day, the Vikes play in a dome for 8 games which is a huge advantage.

It doesn't matter how each QB does against Houston... Cincy and Carolina are 2 different teams. Cincy is better than Carolina at stopping the run and Dalton was crushed by 2 guys in the 3rd quarter of the Steeler game last week.

Fun Fact 2: You are THE WORST when it comes to pulling up stats to prove a point.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:55 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,455,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Peterson averages 4.7 and Stewart and Williams are 4.8 and 4.9.. LOL

Fun Fact: Peterson has 70 more touches then each of those guys so .1 yards is nothing to brag about.
I guess you forgot they split carries not only with each other but also with Mr. Newton. Newton averages 5.2 yards/carry on 100 "touches".

Fun Fact: Average Receiving Yards after Catch... Stewart (12.0), Williams (9.2), Peterson (7).

Quote:
After Smith and Harvin it's a wash at WR...
I hope you realize how much better Smith is than Harvin is...

Quote:
Carolina has better tight ends but it's not that much better.
You got to be kidding. They are way better from a receiving TE perspective.
Olsen - 41 catches, 472 yards, 136 yards after catch, 80 targets
Shockey - 28 catches, 378 yards, 119 yards after catch, 46 targets
Shiancoe - 33 catches, 376 yards, 113 yards after catch, 61 targets

Quote:
At the end of the day, the Vikes play in a dome for 8 games which is a huge advantage.
Carolina plays NO (dome) and ATL (dome) every year (2 games). They play teams that reside in the south i.e. warm and for the most part sunny i.e. TB, J'Ville, etc. This isn't Chicago or NY so wind isn't a super factor. Grass is better than artifical turf for planting/cutting/etc i.e. injuries down (see 2010 Mark Clayton torn tendon in his knee - it happened in Detroit i.e. a dome). Huge Advantage? Not really, especially since weather really isn't a huge factor.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I guess you forgot they split carries not only with each other but also with Mr. Newton. Newton averages 5.2 yards/carry on 100 "touches".

Fun Fact: Average Receiving Yards after Catch... Stewart (12.0), Williams (9.2), Peterson (7).

Carolina plays NO (dome) and ATL (dome) every year (2 games). They play teams that reside in the south i.e. warm and for the most part sunny i.e. TB, J'Ville, etc. This isn't Chicago or NY so wind isn't a super factor. Grass is better than artifical turf for planting/cutting/etc i.e. injuries down (see 2010 Mark Clayton torn tendon in his knee - it happened in Detroit i.e. a dome). Huge Advantage? Not really, especially since weather really isn't a huge factor.
I know Smith is better than Harvin but that is the Vikes best playmaker.

Peterson is a top 5 RB.. I would take him over those 2 in a heartbeat.

Playing in a dome is a huge advantage. Crowd noise is unbelievable in a dome. Playing in a dome at home is much different then playing in a dome on the road you know.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:

An important part of the receiver's success this year is Cam Newton, someone who can "just throw me the damn ball"----the great KeyShawn Johnson. After all, the offense function as a unit.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 AM

I know many players are involved in community outreach events, etc. but it's good to see Cam participating:

Cam uses his arm to help needy | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

It's unfortunate that a lot of people will never see the good in folk and will undoubtedly stay lazer-focused on the past/bad...sigh.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:

uhh.... Carolina playing in a dome on the road isn't a good thing. Dome teams have an advantage because the noise level is ear piercing. I'm pretty sure the Vikings D gets more sacks at home because the other team has to go silent count.

The stats definitely favor the Panthers but that isn't saying much since McNabb was the QB most of the year in Minnesota.

Ponders first game as a starter vs GB Peterson had 175 on the ground and Jenkins had 111 as WR.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,455,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I know many players are involved in community outreach events, etc. but it's good to see Cam participating:

Cam uses his arm to help needy | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

It's unfortunate that a lot of people will never see the good in folk and will undoubtedly stay lazer-focused on the past/bad...sigh.
That is good to see him participating and focusing just on the community service while there. It is the time to be giving. +1 to Newton.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 AM

763 posts, read 822,944 times
Default Opinion of Cam Newton

I know that Cam Newton is enjoying fame and fortune during this first year with the Panthers. But between the press, anouncers, and Newton himself, I am tired of him. I wil not deny that he is doing an excellent job with the team, but I do not respect him as I think he is a total jerk and cares about nobody but himself. He has slammed his team in public and has begun his photo ops while supposedly serving a meal to the poor. The other volunteers that worked all day, not just an hour for publicity, did not get recognition.

He has forgotten that the only reason he didn't go to court for being a thief at Auburn University for was because he was the Heisman Trophey winner and thus protected.

He needs to be more humble and know that someday he will likely fall and nobody will be there to pick him up. This is just my opinion while still hoping that the Panthers continue on their winning streak if you can actually call it that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte