Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times

Advertisements

The Charlotte City Council has officially started an investigation on whether the management of the Epicenter in uptown Charlotte uses its dress code to illegally discriminate against Black people. This was in response to a Mr. Phillip Agnew going the city council and stating they are using the dress code to keep out members of the Black race. This is the 2nd time the Epicenter has been accused of this in two years.

Councilman Patrick Cannon said the Charlotte City council asked the CRC, Community Relations Committee to investigate. The head of the CRC, a Mr. Ledger Morrisette had this to say about the Epicenter..
"It (Epicenter) is on our radar now. People are.... are suspecting that the Epicenter or establishments at the Epicenter are illegally discriminating against them."
This is a follow-up to thorough discussion already made here, when the CMPD tossed Mr. Agnew in jail. //www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/1301344-cmpd-arresting-people-wearing-hat-backwards.html.

Apparently Mr. Agnew asked for an official response from the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, but they won't touch this at all. Simply stating it would be in appropriate for us to get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 AM

I was curious about the CRC, if it might be tax funded (of course it is) and what it is supposed to do. On the Mecklengburg county website I found this:
Community Harmony Matters to All of Us
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Community Relations Committee (CRC) is a statutory human relations agency of the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
Our mission
We advocate for an inclusive community where trust, acceptance, fairness and equity are the community norms.
Our vision

A Charlotte-Mecklenburg where people's differences are acknowledged, understood and appreciated.

They claim they have the power to enforce "local human relations" and fair housing. This organization also is responsible for all official Martin Luther King day celebrations for the city of Charlotte.

---------------------------

I call out BS on this organization doing this investigation. It doesn't sound as if they might be exactly neutral in the matter. I said in the other topic that I thought the CMPD getting involved in the manner in which they did was a mistake, and now we see the results of it. This is an overreach of the city government into the matters of a private business.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Sorry folks, but wearing hats on backwards has nothing to do with race. If you are black, or white, turn your hat around, or, pretend you have some upbringing and don't wear a hat indoors.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Yantosh - the stuff you quoted in post # 1 - what is the source on that? You have a quote but no source.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yantosh - the stuff you quoted in post# 1 - what is the source on that? You have a quote but no source.
If you are referring to the quote from Mr. Morrisette, I typed it as he spoke it on TV. WSOC is repeating the clip over and over on its morning newscast. I started to look up the taxpayer funded salaries of the people running the stealthy CRC, then thought, "the hell with it". I've already concluded you could cut taxes in 1/2 by getting rid of nonsense such as this. (different topic I guess)

This is what the Epicenter brought down on itself by involving the city when they called in the cops. As I said in the other topic, when government gets involved with enforcing dress codes, then it all of a sudden becomes a civil rights issue, and here we are with just that. Sucks to be them I guess.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:26 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Sorry folks, but wearing hats on backwards has nothing to do with race. If you are black, or white, turn your hat around, or, pretend you have some upbringing and don't wear a hat indoors.
The issue isn't the dress code, it's the perceived targeted enforcement of the dress code. If only African-Americans are told to turn their caps around, while pretty white frat boys are not, it's discrimination.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Way to advertise your own thread. I'd like to know what was left out in the quote from Councilman Patrick Cannon above.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Here is a source for some of this discussion:

Committee Investigates Claim Of Racial Discrimination At EpiCentre - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
How about this. Don't patronize the Epicenter if you think it's racist. Dollars speak louder than words. If people don't go there then the Epicenter and it's tenants will lose money. Then maybe the owner of the Epicenter will change the rules or someone new will take over and change the rules.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
How about this. Don't patronize the Epicenter if you think it's racist. Dollars speak louder than words. If people don't go there then the Epicenter and it's tenants will lose money. Then maybe the owner of the Epicenter will change the rules or someone new will take over and change the rules.
I don't want to go to a place that doesn't want me. There's no fun in that. So if wearing my hat sideways was such a critical part of my life, I just wouldn't go there any more. If the Epicenter doesn't want black people there, either passively or aggressively, then why would I (if I were black) want to go there anyway?

OTOH I don't understand the point of forcing a private business to not discriminate. It's their business, and if they lose customers and revenue because they discriminate, then it's their loss only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte