Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 PM

207 posts, read 446,783 times

Advertisements

Hi My husband just got a job in Harrisburg, so we will be relocating from RI. We want to rent at first and have been looking at harrisburg, concord, Kannapolis and university area of charlotte. We want to rent a house as we have a dog and too much stuff!! Any areas we should avoid?? Any feedback on these towns would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much
Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,881,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
Hi My husband just got a job in Harrisburg, so we will be relocating from RI. We want to rent at first and have been looking at harrisburg, concord, Kannapolis and university area of charlotte. We want to rent a house as we have a dog and too much stuff!! Any areas we should avoid?? Any feedback on these towns would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much
Dee

The areas you mention are fine. With the University area, stay NORTH of WT Harris Blvd! You can see why when you drive one block south. Have you checked into Union County? Another good area. Good luck on the job and welcome to Charlotte.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,750,233 times
Here's a link to a (long!) post I wrote about Kannapolis. If you have any specific questions about Kannapolis/Concord I may be able to help!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...charlotte.html

I'm not very familiar with Harrisburg, but driving home from the dog park at Reedy Creek the other day I noticed there are some really nice houses/neighborhoods along Rocky River Rd. in Charlotte/Harrisburg. May want to ask around/check it out!

If you give more details regarding budget/size of house, people here may be able to offer more specific advice.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 PM

445 posts, read 1,169,044 times
Harrisburg is a great place to live. I don't know why you would want to consider Union County - as one poster suggested. The areas you mentioned are all fine and much closer.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 AM

207 posts, read 446,783 times
We pay 1000 for rent here, so would like to keep it about the same if possible. We would be open to apartments if necessary as there is only 2 of us and we could put some things in storage. But if we would only pay a little more we would rather rent a house. We are both gardeners and like to be able to do that (even if it's only pots on porchs and decks) and I have a dog (she's very quiet at our house, but I think if she could hear people coming and going at an apartment building she might bark). Plus, we have alot of family (some who are retired) who may come visit, so we would like the space.
Thanks everyone for the input, it's very appreciated

Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,750,233 times
Not sure about the other towns, but with that budget you could find a nice home with a decent size (.25 acre) lot in Kannapolis. There are plenty of rentals in the $900-$1100 range for 3-4 bed/1-2 bath homes that are updated inside. They won't be updated with the finest quality fixtures, but I'd imagine at least as good as apartment quality.

For $800-$900 you can get a house of equal size, but not as nice on the inside.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,873,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Not sure about the other towns, but with that budget you could find a nice home with a decent size (.25 acre) lot in Kannapolis. There are plenty of rentals in the $900-$1100 range for 3-4 bed/1-2 bath homes that are updated inside. They won't be updated with the finest quality fixtures, but I'd imagine at least as good as apartment quality.

For $800-$900 you can get a house of equal size, but not as nice on the inside.
Not that Kannapolis isnt a great little town, but wouldnt that be a 20-30 minute commute to Harisburg?

Harrisburg is a GREAT town. Has a small town feel, with all the conveniences of being minutes from Uptown Charlotte. I'm sure you'll be thrilled to live there!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,612 times
If you have children you may want to make sure you are in Cabbarrus county (Concord. Kannapolis) as opposed to Mecklenburg county (Charlotte). Otherwise, try renting a house off of Harris Houston Rd. HH is in Charlotte and spitting distance from Harrisburg. Decent enough houses and affordable. Harrisburg is fine. Harrisburg is close to all kinds of things, but still in Cabbarrus county.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 PM

99 posts, read 286,628 times
search Concord 28027...you will be able to find a rental close to what you desribed and real near Harrisburg.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:25 AM

77 posts, read 149,548 times
I'd try to live in Harrisburg if possible. There's no way I'd rent off Harris Houston Rd, that area has gone really downhill. There are some nicer complexes in Concord as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte