Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Digressing from the heat topic to say: be careful with that b/c other things, such as gall bladder disease, can be confused for acid reflux.

Ok back to the heat: A/C may be unhealthy, but I have people/animals at home during the day, and we would not survive without it.
I know ...thanks. Well its very rare for me to get it and it ALWAYS happens when I eat late at night. Idiot me had a sandwich at midnight, then a bag of M& M's ..real smart huh.

As for no A/C...all I can say....NUTTY..no offense to prior posters..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinda94 View Post
I have been doing this for years and the savings per month is unbelievable!

You know its hot when...outside workers hang out under trees during breaks and neighborhood swimming pools are empty!
Which one have you been doing? Both? I was just curious.

The shower idea would save me a minimal amount of money. I usually shower at the gym and when I do shower at home it takes me all of 4 minutes. My wife works from home and doesn't shower every day.

I agree with the unplugging of everything to save money. Those things like alarm clocks in guest bedrooms and stuff slowly drain money.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 AM

214 posts, read 399,219 times
I have a buddy from California who first got out here a couple summers ago. It's very dry heat where he's from so he, like most others out that way, had to rub lotion in to keep from drying up. Well he got to Charlotte, got hot, and put on his lotion. Well instead of moisturizing his skin, the humidity just made the lotion seep out of his pores. He was the most uncomfortable, bitter human being that day. It was great.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I lucky have my kayak to go in deeper parts of the lake or near the channels, the water is cooler to swim than along the shore.

You know its hot when you hop in truck and cant touch the gear shift knob or you have to let a/c cool it off so you can shift.
I bought a chrome gear shift knob with the blinking lights last fall. This winter I had put a glove on it because it was too cold to touch, now its to hot to touch.

We have another month to go of summer.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 AM

716 posts, read 1,544,476 times
You know its hot out when you get into your car and your engine temp gauge already shows a reading.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM

You know it's hot when...you can't sit down on the wave runner 'cause the seat is too hot. You have to stand up and do 5 or 6 donuts til enough water splashes on the seat to cool it down.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
On the heat in the garage, I put an exhaust fan in mine years ago. It's on a clockwork timer wall switch that goes from 1 to 8 hours. It pulls in cool air into the garage from the crawlspace and exhausts it into the attic. It was definitely worth it. Not only does it get rid of the heat build up from the vehicles, it also helps to force the heat out of the attic. It was less than $50 worth of parts though I did install it myself.

The old Southern way to beat the heat was to eat some hot pepper which is in plentiful supply right now. You want the kind that makes you break out in a sweat. Hence you are cooled off. A long Slim Jim cayenne is a good choice for this. This is why you see many old folks around here having at least one with most meals.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Its going to be up near 100 for 3 straight days and we don't even have a heat advisory posted! Wow..... this goes on and on and ...at least up north there are breaks where you get a few cool days before the heat returns...this heat is unrelenting.
I'll tell you what I will miss weather-wise here. No not winter, i actually like cold and snow. Its March to May. There is NO PLACE in this country that has better weather during that 3 month period. March/April in New England is just plain lousy. you want winter to end but it won't let go. May is better but still unsettled. The other 9 months I'll take the north..but those 3 will be missed.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 AM

You know it's hot when...you hold the freezer door open at the grocery and take extra time to pick out your ice cream. But then you get the same kind as always, Malted Praline Fudge Swirl with Cheesecake Brownie Pieces.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:31 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
You know its hot out when: You try to go for a swim in the lake to cool down and the water is hotter than being on land.
We took the dog to a lake yesterday. The water was so hot near the shore, she kept jumping on the kayak so we could ferry her out to the cooler water. She's swim for a bit, go in to shore to rest, and then back on the boat for another trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte