Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
There is nothing wrong with Charlotte. Belmont and Charlotte both attract newcomers. Also, the east side of Gastonia is seeing some nice investments near Cox Road and East Franklin. The only issue with Belmont is the horrible commute home on I-85 and US 74. Hwy 27 through "Tank Town" (Paw Creek) isn't much better. Other than the commute, Belmont (or anywhere in East Gaston county) is probably the metro area's best kept secret.
Not sure where you are getting this traffic problem thing from. Traffic is not an issue from this side of the world..in fact compared to North and South Charlotte (NIGHTMARE) its a breeze getting into downtown from both Gastonia and Mount Holly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Great display last year,..seems to get better every year.

You should have seen McAdenville when the mill houses were still there, the lights were incredible!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Not sure where you are getting this traffic problem thing from. Traffic is not an issue from this side of the world..in fact compared to North and South Charlotte (NIGHTMARE) its a breeze getting into downtown from both Gastonia and Mount Holly.
Afternoon traffic into Gaston county from Charlotte backs up almost everyday. The lane drop on I-85, the weigh station near the river, and cars entering from I-485 are all responsible for the mess (and there is usually an accident or stalled vehicle everyday). I-485 often backs up to the airport (I-485 just south of the US 74 interchange) due to folks trying to enter I-85 south from I-485 north. I-485 also backs up northbound towards the Moores Chapel exit. Many folks try to "escape" the mess by taking US 74 or Hwy 27 west (these roads are just as bad, with Hwy 27 being the "lesser evil"). This is an area that I travel daily, so its not like I'm pulling this stuff out of thin air. I-85 in Gaston county (after the lane drop) starts to move again, but it is "brake tap-brake tap" usually until one passes New Hope (and sometimes the mess makes its way down to US 321).

Like I stated earlier, there is really nothing wrong with Belmont. It is IMO the best kept secret of the area. However, the commute home is a mess on most days.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Afternoon traffic into Gaston county from Charlotte backs up almost everyday. The lane drop on I-85, the weigh station near the river, and cars entering from I-485 are all responsible for the mess (and there is usually an accident or stalled vehicle everyday). I-485 often backs up to the airport (I-485 just south of the US 74 interchange) due to folks trying to enter I-85 south from I-485 north. I-485 also backs up northbound towards the Moores Chapel exit. Many folks try to "escape" the mess by taking US 74 or Hwy 27 west (these roads are just as bad, with Hwy 27 being the "lesser evil"). This is an area that I travel daily, so its not like I'm pulling this stuff out of thin air. I-85 in Gaston county (after the lane drop) starts to move again, but it is "brake tap-brake tap" usually until one passes New Hope (and sometimes the mess makes its way down to US 321).

Like I stated earlier, there is really nothing wrong with Belmont. It is IMO the best kept secret of the area. However, the commute home is a mess on most days.
....The route from Charlotte to Gaston is the easiest of all routes out of uptown. I cant believe you actually are complaining about that drive. Try going down route 51 to Matthews ...or down to Bal...or up to Huntersville ...THOSE are nightmares. Its so odd , my wife has been doing that ride for years and I never heard her say a word other than problems with the sun at times on 85 ....

Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,317 times
I take 85 everyday..it's my commute home from Charlotte - to exit 22 and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE taking 85! I used to take 49 to 77 - what a nightmare that was!! I never hit any kind of traffic in 85 except if there is an accident - and even with that...there are so many lanes and the lanes are pretty wide so it's not as bad. I do agree that sometimes it backs up a little when you lose the left lane after the weigh station (85 -southbound), but it's maybe 3-5 minutes of added time. Compared to other parts of Charlotte...85 is a breeze.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
....The route from Charlotte to Gaston is the easiest of all routes out of uptown. I cant believe you actually are complaining about that drive. Try going down route 51 to Matthews ...or down to Bal...or up to Huntersville ...THOSE are nightmares. Its so odd , my wife has been doing that ride for years and I never heard her say a word other than problems with the sun at times on 85 ....
I'm baffled too, jp. While I don't do it daily, I've yet to see a problem that would justify these complaints. Coming back on 85 during evening rush, you go under overpasses where people are bumper to bumper & barely crawling northbound. Traffic is heavy, but moving on 85. People peel off onto 485 & you then lose a lane. Traffic stays heavy, but it's no worse. It stays 3 lanes until exit 10 (The 1st of the Kings Mountain exits) People peel off at each exit. In case of a problem, you always have 74 as an alternative. Today, there was an accident on I 85 in Gastonia, so they announced to take Franklin Blvd. I know how to bypass downtown Gastonia, so it's a very viable alternative. From Belmont to Uptown, Gastonia isn't even a consideration.

From Belmont to Uptown in morning rush doesn't involve rush hour traffic until you are forced onto 277 for a few minutes.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraG211 View Post
Hello there! I am looking to relocate to the Charlotte area from Long Island, and am hoping to learn more about what life is like in Belmont, NC. (Not the neighborhood, but the suburb). Anyone know a bit about the schools, crime, demographics, etc.? I would really appreciate any feedback you may have!

Thanks!
Traffic issues/non issues aside, Belmont is a nice family oriented town. It has a really active parks and rec department that puts on several festivals and events each year. There is a big Christmas parade the first Tuesday in December each year. There is a drive in theater that shows current movies. There are local restaurants and fast food chains. Some unique shopping downtown, a Walmart and smaller stores. Most of your shopping will be in Gastonia and Charlotte.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
There are local restaurants....
Love the Old Stone Steakhouse. 'Specially the Cheerwine ribs.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Love the Old Stone Steakhouse. 'Specially the Cheerwine ribs.
Best!! and the wedge salad...great combo

Old 08-02-2011, 02:55 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Best!! and the wedge salad...great combo
Have you been to the spin-offs in Gastonia & Kings Mountain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte