Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM

873 posts, read 1,806,149 times

Advertisements

Laws & regulations differ from state to state. Again, in NC, they relocate themselves. I don't hurt them - only keep them them from reinfesting the same location. I'm sure that they relocate very close to where the exclusion is performed. I've done 4 bat jobs in the same block before and there's no way to know for sure, at least from my standpoint, but I'd be willing to bet they were the same bats!

We have 6 species here. All have a life span of 20 - 25 years. They bear 1 or 2 "pups" per year. Since people that work within the law here don't harm them, the populations shouldn't decrease (at least because of our "efforts") and are probably increasing, but they're all protected and some are endangered. I have to recertify my Wildlife Damage Control Agent status every 3 years and the last time I was in Raleigh (last year) I specifically asked about how to attract bats to bat houses. I was told that it was hours of sunlight that determined where bats like to roost. (I don't know how they stand the heat of attics this time of year!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Sorry, I didn't know. In NJ, they will remove & relocate them. At least that's what they did the last time I checked. I was hoping for more bats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,248,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Can we split the group?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Not sure what you're asking. In NC, the only thing LEGAL to do is EXCLUDE the bats. I use a 1-way valve in the area where the bats are, bat-proof the rest of the building (house, commercial bldg, church, etc) and come back in a few days to remove the valve and bat-proof that area. I give a lifetime warranty (mine!). I love bats!
sb95 and I were both hoping you'd bring some bats to our yards. Oh well.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Laws & regulations differ from state to state. Again, in NC, they relocate themselves. I don't hurt them - only keep them them from reinfesting the same location. I'm sure that they relocate very close to where the exclusion is performed. I've done 4 bat jobs in the same block before and there's no way to know for sure, at least from my standpoint, but I'd be willing to bet they were the same bats!

We have 6 species here. All have a life span of 20 - 25 years. They bear 1 or 2 "pups" per year. Since people that work within the law here don't harm them, the populations shouldn't decrease (at least because of our "efforts") and are probably increasing, but they're all protected and some are endangered. I have to recertify my Wildlife Damage Control Agent status every 3 years and the last time I was in Raleigh (last year) I specifically asked about how to attract bats to bat houses. I was told that it was hours of sunlight that determined where bats like to roost. (I don't know how they stand the heat of attics this time of year!!!!)
That is mystifying. In South Jersey they get into attics in the winter, but they take their summer vacations in basements (when they can find one) or crawlspaces. Yes, I had a bat in my basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: