Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Devaluled dollars helping debtors? Hmm. This bill removes gubment subsidies for school loans. This doesn't seem like an advantage to me as it's going to cost students billions of dollars. You can believe that debt is good, but I am the one enjoying the boat on the lake, gardening, and a hosts of other things, and not needing to work in the process. You pointed this out yourself. I posted more about this, but the post has been deleted. Shame really, because I think it would have been beneficial to peoples in Charlotte.

On your statements about nationa/local/metro matters, I am not free to discuss these topics as I like. The moderator has already warned me and deleted one of my posts out of this topic because he/she decided, IMO in an arbitrary matter, that it did not pertain to Charlotte. If you are confused by what I post this has part to do with it. You can't cross certain lines without them being censored. This is their choice, not mine, but I accept it since it's their forum and their rules. I am just a bystander.

Finally I do agree with you that your posts are a stretch. It's obvious they are intended as a hit job on me, rather than to discuss how this debt ceiling affects Charlotte.
Come on, we both know you reap what you sow... You don't take any responsibility for smiting me or even taking some pleasure in the dramatics of your posts? So flowery!

What I think is the most scary thing is that we agree ideologically on many things. You probably don't believe me, but I find these forums to be more fun debating. I'd rather choose being a devil's advocate then run around putting a next to some people's posts. Not saying I've never done that. I'd just rather argue the other side.

I will say it's confusing how you seem to draw on the government teet yourself and enjoy the entitlement lifestyle that many want to keep going... Yet seem to overlook that in taking non-stop stabs at the gubmint. You can't think that crazy woman Ann Coulter has it all figured out? Do you? Sometimes your posts reminds me of her rants.

I never said debt is good... debt is bad and I wasn't referring to college loan holders. I was stating that many economic policies look to either inflate debt away or in a global economy, it becomes a race to devalue your own currency against the others. That's how you can try to work debt to your advantage. These are not new concepts - it's basic Keynesian economics. Look at what's happening to commodities and precious metals. It's not a mystery. If it all goes to pot as you state it will, you're not going to escape the wrath because you have no debt because it's all debt. What do they say, you can't eat an iPad?

How the debt ceiling impacts Charlotte? Checks keep rolling through 2012. In the bigger picture municipal debt is strangling everyone... A small town in Rhode Island filed bankruptcy last week. Bankruptcy! A town! How's that for proving your points?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Yantosh, you make me smile. Not sure how you manage to get out of bed every morning (I'd be hiding beneath mine), but you always make me smile.
Thanks for the kind words and No need to hide under the bed. I have a magnet on my fridge that says this:
"Every Day is a Gift. This is why it's called the Present"
It's a reminder to me to enjoy the moment. When your last day comes, you might think that worries over the follies of man, when you were younger, was so stupid. The debt is nothing but some electrons in a computer. It's is amazing though the power it gives a few to control the many. Each time one of these bills gets passed, that control expands like an octopus grabbing it's prey. Amazing the people who will defend this system even to the point of doing hit jobs on someone who speaks out against it.

It doesn't bother me however as I checked out of this system long ago.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
For grad students but increases Pell loans
Not only that, as someone who actually read the 1000 plus pages of what is popularly called "Obamacare," I can assure you, there is all sorts of money available in that bill for anyone going into a field related to healthcare, especially if they are minorities, as an emphasis is placed on minority education, education for folks to serve in underserved (usually rural) areas, etc.

So no one needs to panic about education loans. In addition, many of us worked 3 jobs while getting our undergrad degrees, back in the "bad ole days" before these loans were even available. If a person wants an education, he/she can get one, with or without a loan. I know - I did it - and went to a private college where the tuition was very high. It wasn't easy but it is possible as my friends and I did it - no grants, no scholarships and no loans.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,152 times
The country we woke up to this morning is no more.....welcome to the days of the "super commitee"....

And a devalued dollar does not help a thing, very bad for this county and its people.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,138 times
It may be good for a re-invigorated gold mining industry in the Charlotte area. Gold shot up to $1672/ounce yesterday on news of this deal.

The rest of the world is buying up all the gold that it can find and dumping their $ reserves for fears of the $ becoming worthless. There are now predictions of gold hitting $1900/ounce by the end of the year. (oddly most Americans continue to sell their gold, I recommend buying some gold coins now) It's now risen more than 100% since Obama took office.

So old mines in the Charlotte area may now contain gold where it is economically viable to extract.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 AM

Gold finished at 1661.50 on the day yesterday up 40.00!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:52 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,018 times
Well , if anyone is in need of employment , there are some positions available , but get them fast , as they are rapidly being filled.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Well , if anyone is in need of employment , there are some positions available , but get them fast , as they are rapidly being filled.

REAL jobs? Where?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words and No need to hide under the bed. I have a magnet on my fridge that says this:
"Every Day is a Gift. This is why it's called the Present"
It's a reminder to me to enjoy the moment. When your last day comes, you might think that worries over the follies of man, when you were younger, was so stupid. The debt is nothing but some electrons in a computer. It's is amazing though the power it gives a few to control the many. Each time one of these bills gets passed, that control expands like an octopus grabbing it's prey. Amazing the people who will defend this system even to the point of doing hit jobs on someone who speaks out against it.

It doesn't bother me however as I checked out of this system long ago.
If it doesn't bother you then why are you constantly bringing it up? Is this some kind of transfer of energy tactic?

If you truly believed what you just typed you would bring more "gifts" to the forum.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The country we woke up to this morning is no more.....welcome to the days of the "super commitee"....

And a devalued dollar does not help a thing, very bad for this county and its people.
It would help if you understood macro economics... Every currency is trying to "devalue" itself against another. Look at what the Swiss did last night... Look at China... Look at the constant Japan central bank intervention. It's fiat, so it's "value" can only be measured in terms of what it can buy. A FRN on the "faith blah blah of the USA". Think net exports and the impact overall. Your entire treasury department is trying to keep the value of the dollar down globally.

Quote:
It may be good for a re-invigorated gold mining industry in the Charlotte area. Gold shot up to $1672/ounce yesterday on news of this deal.

The rest of the world is buying up all the gold that it can find and dumping their $ reserves for fears of the $ becoming worthless. There are now predictions of gold hitting $1900/ounce by the end of the year. (oddly most Americans continue to sell their gold, I recommend buying some gold coins now) It's now risen more than 100% since Obama took office.

So old mines in the Charlotte area may now contain gold where it is economically viable to extract.
Don't forget that USD is the world's reserve currency... We still got that going for us. If that changes we should pack it up. I think $1,900 for Au is conservative if things continue as they are. I've seen much higher estimates, but don't forget the other precious metals. Look at what Silver has done and it's much more reasonable prices for your average Joe. Also look at the commodities hitting limit ups days upon days in a row... Rice, Corn, Wheat... Do we even need to talk about Oil? All these have been exploding for a long while now, but the Charlotte Observer isn't reporting it so people completely miss it.

The old gold mines are an interesting thing... Would like to see what happens with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte