Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

I agree Mikey... other metals are much more attractive for the average investor and has a great return.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,967 times
The debt ceiling debate should never have been tied to the budget in the first place. Jobs is even more unrelated.

The easiest way to explain the debt ceiling debate is using the example of ordering a large meal from Subway. You start off ordering your sub with all the extras, add on a drink and a cookie. You even take a few bites of the sub and take some sips of your soda while waiting in line. Then you get up to the register (its time to pay) but realize you don't have enough cash. Oops!

Do you:

1. Pay with the cash you have and skip out on the rest of the bill (sorry, only have $3 in cash), or,

2. Pay with a credit card to cover all your debts and obligations?

What would you personally do? Do you think its fair to skip out on your bill? How would that impact your reputation? You might even get banned from Subway.

In my opinion we really did not have a choice. We had to pay our bills. Our entire economy is based on borrowing and spending more that we have (which is another argument). Even our founding fathers noted that the country's debt cannot be questioned (see the 14th amendment).

Spending is a separate issue. I am all for cutting wasteful government spending btw.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It would help if you understood macro economics... Every currency is trying to "devalue" itself against another. Look at what the Swiss did last night... Look at China... Look at the constant Japan central bank intervention. It's fiat, so it's "value" can only be measured in terms of what it can buy. A FRN on the "faith blah blah of the USA". Think net exports and the impact overall. Your entire treasury department is trying to keep the value of the dollar down globally.

Don't forget that USD is the world's reserve currency... We still got that going for us. If that changes we should pack it up. I think $1,900 for Au is conservative if things continue as they are. I've seen much higher estimates, but don't forget the other precious metals. Look at what Silver has done and it's much more reasonable prices for your average Joe. Also look at the commodities hitting limit ups days upon days in a row... Rice, Corn, Wheat... Do we even need to talk about Oil? All these have been exploding for a long while now, but the Charlotte Observer isn't reporting it so people completely miss it.

The old gold mines are an interesting thing... Would like to see what happens with that.

I know economics 101 and I know history.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If it doesn't bother you then why are you constantly bringing it up? I....
If you constantly don't believe my posts, why do you keep reading them?

None the less my little grasshopper, I don't mind sharing with others what I have discovered. Maybe one day you will understand so you too, can post something here of use to others.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Don't forget that USD is the world's reserve currency...
LOL.... Go read Putin's remarks on this from earlier in the week. I only bring up gold because it has something to do with Charlotte as in, it's in the ground here.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
mod note
As i figure it wouldnt take long for this thread to not discuss Charlotte
All of you know where to post this topic

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte