Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times

Advertisements

The Next Big Boom Towns In The U.S. - Joel Kotkin - New Geographer - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 PM

958 posts, read 1,725,228 times
I think we need to continue to bring green energy companies here to Charlotte.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Nice find.

No. 8 Charlotte, N.C.
Charlotte's low housing prices and short commute times makes it an attractive city for families looking to raise children. At the same time, it is building the infrastructure -- roads, cultural institutions, etc. -- critical to future growth. Charlotte's bustling airport may never be as big as Atlanta's Hartsfield, but it is increasingly plugged into both major national and international routes.

1 Austin
2 Raleigh
3 Nashville
4 San Antonio
5 Houston
6 Washington, D.C.
7 Dallas
8 Charlotte
9 Phoenix
10 Orlando

Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
I think we need to continue to bring green energy companies here to Charlotte.
Agreed! I think green energy jobs are what's going to help fuel the next wave of growth for the Charlotte region in the coming years, along with investing in its infrastructure, such as road improvements; when I mean road improvements, I mean building urban roads & freeways throughout the metro region, and not infrastructure you would see in Greensboro or Winston-Salem; our state DOT needs to get its act together, and continuing to build mass transit!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 PM

119 posts, read 247,424 times
It's always nice to see our city near the top of a list, but those Forbes lists always seem contradictory. Next week, Charlotte might be ranked by Forbes as the #8 city most likely to end up like Detroit. It's tough for me to hold any value in what they say. Seems like they pull city names out of a hat for their top 10 lists sometimes.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
Forbes only writes opinion articles so there isn't anything you can plan on based on this article. While nice, they completely avoid the fact the Charlotte workforce has been shrinking for the last 4 years. It's impossible to make the bold prediction of this being the next boom town without considering what has caused the workforce to keep falling despite population growth, and what it's going to take to fix it.

My prediction. No booms unless the workforce starts to rise again.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Forbes only writes opinion articles so there isn't anything you can plan on based on this article. While nice, they completely avoid the fact the Charlotte workforce has been shrinking for the last 4 years. It's impossible to make the bold prediction of this being the next boom town without considering what has caused the workforce to keep falling despite population growth, and what it's going to take to fix it.

First, as has been said a million times on this board, you assume that Charlotte is the only city that has gone through a recession. That couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s all relative. Second, you’re making up stats you can’t say they used. Our labor force has actually grown over the past four months. How do you know they didn’t simply look at the last Quarter? Link: Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC Economy at a Glance

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:

if the shrink is smaller than other cities then it's still a desirable place to live.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:

Well isn't that why it's a prediction? I would assume predicting a boom is predicting an increase in the workforce, no?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Second, you’re making up stats you can’t say they used.
Sir, it's already been done by me and the numbers come directly from the people who know. That would be the BIS for North Carolina. These are the official stats, directly from the government. Given that you give this as the link as well, then I figured you might have actually looked at their numbers. I posted this on July 1st. when the numbers for May were made available.

Quote:
Number of employed in Charlotte: (source)

May of
  • 2008 - 339,546
  • 2009 - 317,870
  • 2010 - 318,278 <-- Census
  • 2011 - 317,573
Number of jobs has been going down for 4 years,
Forbes does not address this and I thus, I consider their predictions to be opinions. Amazing too. The numbers are there for anyone to look at but our media in general doesn't want to go there.

Last edited by yantosh22; 07-14-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte