Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

I REALLY like these in Dilworth:

Apartments.com - Community Glance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 02:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
If I had a choice to move out of one of Charlotte suburbs I would lean on Dilworth. I find it is place I like hanging out in. Cool restaurants, mix of different coffee houses and I feel safe in that area day or night.

I like the type of people in this area.

It is relative close to Charlotte Uptown and South End district.

Bus lines that serve that area are 19, 6, 18. On the outer edge also 12 and 24 and future light rail.

Freedom Park a very large Park in Diloworth is great for jogging, walking or playing volleyball or tennis.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:30 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,752 times
I'm not well versed in the numbers but near Prebyterian, the Elizabeth, Dilworth, Queens University Area are very nice to me. You'd probably be in heaven after living in a 1 bedroom in NYC.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentingcouple View Post

Have navigated the NYC apartment market without having to use a realtor or broker, instead going no-fee/by owner
Not knowing exactly how the NC market works for rentals, but in my home town the landlord pays the agent if they bring a renter to them. NC agents could probably tell you better how they work on the fees end.

I would suggest putting together a renters wish list of both your needs for your new "home". Then contacting the agent if you choose, with your wishes. Narrow down your search to the apartment, condo or home that best meets both your needs by utilizing a rating program.

Best of luck in your search,
Duane

Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 AM

628 posts, read 2,078,779 times
I too am from NYC..not exactly knowing what you are looking for I can tell you that Charlotte is not even close to NYC in terms of nightlife, museums,art resteraunts, etc. My wife and I love it down here but, it's sooooooooooo different. If you are looking for the village or union sq. you will not find anything close. Public transportation? there's not much. You really need to come down here for a long visit because Charlotte may not meet your expectatons for a big city.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 PM

19 posts, read 77,694 times
Default dilworth/myers park

Hi! I also lived in Myers Park and rented a condo. It is a great area to live in. And since you are coming from NYC it's really close to uptown. We still had the city feel, but a little cheaper.

Are you moving down here for work or just to get out of NY? I am also from NY and have been living here for 2 years with my new husband. We love it here!!! If you need any more suggestions on nightlife, restaurants, etc. just ask. I'm also in my late 20's.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM

34 posts, read 150,387 times
If you want anything remotely similar to NYC you will want to live uptown. Dilworth is also very nice but is a few miles outside of uptown. BRKLYN2CLT is right that you will not find the same nightlife/art/restaurants but there are about 20 to 30 bars in and around uptown. The nightlife is enough for me personally and there are many different venues within 10 minutes from one another. As for living, you should keep your eye on Craigslist and type in Uptown in the search bar to eliminate the items too far away. If you live uptown but work outside of uptown you should be against traffic as well. Some great places would include Fifth & Poplar (now condos but someone may be renting their's out), Post Gateway is OK, the new highrises (Trademark & The Vue) are coming available soon. There is also a condo next to the Bobcats arena which is in a good location. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 PM

33 posts, read 282,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNC View Post
Are you moving down here for work or just to get out of NY? I am also from NY and have been living here for 2 years with my new husband. We love it here!!! If you need any more suggestions on nightlife, restaurants, etc. just ask. I'm also in my late 20's.
Thanks to everyone for keeping this going -- the more ideas, the better! We're just in the beginning planning stages now, so the more we narrow it down, the more effective my research will be from home.

We are not moving for jobs; we are wanting to get out of NY to save some money, and to get away from the rat race. We're both in artistic professions, so we are having some (perhaps idealistic?) thoughts about living somewhere where the quality of living is a little higher and we can have more money, less stress and more time to be creative -- maybe even work freelance or part-time (IMPOSSIBLE to do in NYC and still make ends meet). My family is also in Atlanta, so it is closer to them, which is great. (His is in NJ -- still not too terribly far.)

I will definitely be having more questions about everything...so thanks to all for the great advice, and keep it comin'!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte