Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,183 times

Advertisements

I live in Mount Holly, NC that is close to that area in Gaston county. I know the areas pretty well, that is not the best area. Belmont and Mount Holly, VERY NICE area not much crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:49 PM

201 posts, read 1,283,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound View Post
Thanks to all. I'm using craigslist Charlotte in finding these properties. I wish I knew we were gonna rent when I visited a few weeks ago. I would of checked out these properties/areas. At the time I thought we we're buying in Tega Cay but are waiting to sell up here. My wife and I need a small home or ranch to rent since we have two labs. What areas are nice/normal to rent within 30 mins to airport in any direction preferably South of airport besides Fort Mill/Tega Cay ? But at this point I'll take any direction. Our budget is up tp $1,300/month. Thanks again.
Thats a big budget for NC.
$1,300 is not Wilkinson BLVD money... more like $550 a month.
I am not quite sure if I have been to where you are speaking of, but I have a friend who lives near the airport. Ive been there, where he lives is mos def the hood. Just to put it pretty plain, he carries a sawn off shotgun under his seat at all times, no joke.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 AM

19 posts, read 82,228 times
ATL,
We have moved to two different areas in the last five years, and one method I used to determine if an area was "OK" was to look at the profiles of the schools in an area. If a school has a VERY high number of students on free and/or reduced lunches, this generally means the surrounding area is a fairly low-income area (unless, of course, a large number of students travel from a distance to attend, for example, a magent school or a school for the arts.) Many citizens realize that, unfortunately, lower-income areas generally correlate with a greater percentage of crimes, and that's a sad fact. (I don't want to offend anyone or hurt anyone's feelings, but it is the truth.) Anyway, I have found that checking out the schools for info. concerning the lunches has been a fooproof way of knowing whether or not I should rent or buy in a certain area, especially if you're concerned about future resale values and overall safety. You just need to go to the county's school website, and from there, you should be able to check out individual schools. One thing to keep in mind is that some schools are so new that there may not be much data, and some areas are undergoing rapid change. The website for Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools is cms.k12.nc.us. Another site you can check out (if you are interested in the Charlotte area) that will really give you the lowdown is charmeck.org. In the top right hand corner of that homepage in the search bar, type in ''quality of life." ON the next page, click on #3 where it says "home." This will take you to the "Charlotte Neighborhood Quality of Life Study." You will be able to enter in an address and acquire very specific information regarding that locale. It's rather amazing. I hope this helps.

Last edited by ellbee; 08-24-2007 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 08-24-2007, 07:08 AM

108 posts, read 145,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
Thats a big budget for NC.
$1,300 is not Wilkinson BLVD money... more like $550 a month.
I am not quite sure if I have been to where you are speaking of, but I have a friend who lives near the airport. Ive been there, where he lives is mos def the hood. Just to put it pretty plain, he carries a sawn off shotgun under his seat at all times, no joke.

You're killin me man. Cracking me up. I'll keep that in mind not to live there. I think Belmont/Mt Holly may be the place for us.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 45,766 times
You people are really funny with your perceptions about the NW and West side of Charlotte - do any of you actually live in the area? Mt. Holly and Belmont are nice but $1,300 will get you a lot less house than further into Charlotte. Also, not all areas around the airport are gun toting places. I've lived on that side of town for over 15 years - it's fine. Just like other areas, you have your trouble spots - don't put down the whole area. We may not have a lot of shopping, but then we don't the horrible traffic either. Can get to I-85, 485 or I-77 in no time at all.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,917,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgund View Post
I live in Mount Holly, NC that is close to that area in Gaston county. I know the areas pretty well, that is not the best area. Belmont and Mount Holly, VERY NICE area not much crime.
Totally agree. Even if the neighborhood is nice, it is too close to the people who will knife you for your shoes.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks. I took your advice. Is this part of Mount Holly ok ? It has a Mount Holly address but it looks sorta South of Mount Holly. Thanks again

Steamboat DR
Mount Holly, NC 28120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgund View Post

Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 AM

My wife and I are serious about renting a property located near Mt. Holly in Charlotte in back of the Pine Island Country Club. Here is the location. It's a new development called Sonoma Village

Long Paw Ln at Sonoma Valley dr. Charlotte NC US

Is this an "OK" area ? These crime stats don't look too bad but just wanted to get your feedback. Thank you.

Specify an Address
Enter an address or intersection. For example, 601 E Trade Street, Hawthorne Lane & Kennon Street.
*Address or intersection required!

Select the Search Distance
This is the distance from the search location entered above.
1000 Ft 0.25 Mile 0.5 Mile

Select the Data Type
This is the type of data to be returned. Reported Incidents will return a summary of police reports taken by incident type. Calls for Service will return a summary of 911 calls where a police officer was dispatched by call type.
Reported Incidents Calls for Service

Enter a Date Range
Data is available from 1/1/2005 to 8/26/2007. Date From: *Invalid! *Date exceeds minimum or maximum value!
Date To: *Invalid! *Date exceeds minimum or maximum value!
*Date from must precede Date to.

Search Results:
Reported Incidents that occured within 1000 ft of long Paw Ln between 1/1/2007 and 8/26/2007.

Incident Type Count
Residential Burglary 8
Non-aggravated Assault 4
Larceny-Other 3
Other Non-criminal Incident 2
Vandalism 2
Commercial Burglary 1
Larceny from Building 1
Mfg./Sale of Marijuana 1
Other Criminal Charge 1
Residential Burglary-Storage Bldg 1

Last edited by ATLBound; 08-31-2007 at 10:43 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 9,893 times
Mt Holly is awesome. As a community, it seems to have a good growth plan, with plans for a greenway of trails and bike paths. The downtown is cute and has a few middle priced restaurants. We have rented in Mt Holly for a bit over a year and are now in the process of purchasing a home there. It is safe, but we do lock our car and our doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte