Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,228 times

Advertisements

and again Police arrest man in ATM robbery, kidnapping | WCNC.com Charlotte

Cash is NOT the way. Checks work but if everyone used checks, the banks would soon get fed up with that and start charging for writing and processing a check. They are already doing this in the UK so it is not a new or original idea.

Last edited by krokus; 09-30-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,871 times
We used to have checking accounts when we lived in FL, not sure what banks, everyone belongs to everyone else now, but we were charged after we wrote so many checks per month, and it wasn't many.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,228 times
I wonder what the bank feel about Near Field Communication (NFC). This is technology built into newer cell phones that allows you to pay for stuff by waving your phone "near" a payment device.

The banks have spent considerable money to implement this.

Here's a Wikipedia page that explains the technology Near field communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM

116 posts, read 255,725 times
Looks like the BoA webpage is Temporarily Unavailable, wonder if their recent fee increase announcement had anything to do with it

As I said, bone head move, we want to promote green technology (less checks, printed money) and then this move comes along pulling us couple of years back...

Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
And as much as I now detest BofA, in this case I can't blame them! This fee is a direct result of over Federal regulation. I was appalled when I heard the Feds were regulating the amount a bank can charge a merchant for processing a debit card transaction. Why do we need or want the Feds setting a price? Let the merchants charge consumers for using their debit cards. Let the consumer decide if he wants to use his debit card, but regulating the fee, well that will simply force the banks to turn around and charge the consumer... which is exactly what they are doing, so what does the new federal regulation actually accomplish?
I agree. Glad to see that there are folks seeing through the chatter and seeing this for what this is - the federal government sticking their noses where they don't belong.

Check out this article in today's Atlantic: Did Congress Kill the Debit Card? - Daniel Indiviglio - Business - The Atlantic

Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Would this still apply if you use your debit card but select the "credit" option? I'm assuming yes but it could be a loophole

Old 09-30-2011, 02:17 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Would this still apply if you use your debit card but select the "credit" option?
Yes.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 PM

378 posts, read 704,684 times
Well looks like BofA may have an ulterior reason for these fees: People start using their BofA credit cards + credit card fees/interest = cha ching.

Bank of America fee to benefit bank, despite angry customers - Sep. 30, 2011

Thankfully I don't HAVE a BofA credit card, but I do have other bank carrds, but I'm pretty sure I'll be switching anyway, or just cashing at the ATM every two weeks.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
"Premium" accounts would not be affected, so perhaps this is one way for banks to weed out low-profit customers. After all - How much revenue can a bank generate from a basic checking account that has a small balance?

As others have said above, why use a debit card? Use a rewards credit card instead. Credit cards tend to have higher rewards for so-called everyday purchases like groceries and gasoline.
But that just brings up other past bad behavior. Like Discover raising my APR because they didn't like how high my balance was on OTHER cards. I don't think it's legal to do that now.

Or my mom who had her rate increase 25% because she has a business card and they needed to make up profit somewhere. She has perfect credit.

Or Citibank raising me from 8% to 29% for a $1 shortage in a monthly payment.

I'm not perfect and I don't like the idea of the banks holding all the cards. There are stricter rules now but the bottom line is banks have a habit of betting against their customers in order to make a profit. I swear the reason online bill pay is free is that you're more likely to bounce a check.

I got hit by the overdraft stacking too and should be getting a check from the class action lawsuit.

So yes, ideally get a rewards card and don't keep a balance but don't be surprised if everyone did that they don't come up with annual fees for the less than rich.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
I agree, this is a rip off. Why are they doing this? Here's why. Bank of America to charge debit card use fee

The crux of the matter is this (from the link above)

"The Dodd-Frank Act's Durbin amendment, due to go into effect on October 1, caps fees banks can charge merchants for processing debit card transactions at 21 cents per transaction from an average of 44 cents, potentially costing banks billions of dollars."

Wells Fargo are "trialing" a $3 per month charge in some states. Here's another extract from the relevant link.

"Wells Fargo's $3 debit card fee test will be limited to accounts opened in Georgia, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington."

Here's the link Wells Fargo to test $3 debit card fee - Yahoo! Finance

I too shall be looking to a Credit Union for my day to day banking. I will do this just to avoid paying the $36 (3 * 12) that Welss Fargo will certainly impose once their "trial" has finished.

I shall vote with my feet.
I hope the credit unions can hold in there. USAA as a bank most certainly is. But even though the credit unions are not for profit, they are going to hurt with the cut in fees too. If the fees aren't necessary to run a credit union, what were they doing with the "extra" before the fee structure changed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte