Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
I agree, this is a rip off. Why are they doing this? Here's why. Bank of America to charge debit card use fee

The crux of the matter is this (from the link above)

"The Dodd-Frank Act's Durbin amendment, due to go into effect on October 1, caps fees banks can charge merchants for processing debit card transactions at 21 cents per transaction from an average of 44 cents, potentially costing banks billions of dollars."

Wells Fargo are "trialing" a $3 per month charge in some states. Here's another extract from the relevant link.

"Wells Fargo's $3 debit card fee test will be limited to accounts opened in Georgia, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington."

Here's the link Wells Fargo to test $3 debit card fee - Yahoo! Finance

I too shall be looking to a Credit Union for my day to day banking. I will do this just to avoid paying the $36 (3 * 12) that Welss Fargo will certainly impose once their "trial" has finished.

I shall vote with my feet.
Yep let us place the blame where it belongs...Sandwich Dodd, Turbin Durbin, and Log Cabin Frank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 PM

359 posts, read 591,724 times
I am going to move all of my money into a non-profit bank

I am tired of being held responsible for the poor decisions of others

Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
10 highest-paid bank CEOs - Jamie Dimon: $20.8 million (1) - CNNMoney

If this doesn't make you angry about the fees and the banks crying that they "need" this additional income, I don't know what will.

BTW, #2 is gone. Kelly left Bank of NY earlier this year. Hence, our illustrious CEO of Wells Fargo is bumped up to #2.

Meanwhile...people are loosing their jobs...there is an active campaign to "cut costs"...seems like the greatest way to cut costs is to cut a paycheck from the top of the house!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 PM

55 posts, read 76,386 times
If you do decide to shop Credit Unions, make sure to 1) ask about debit card fees; 2) read the fine print and 3) flip one of their debit cards over and read the back...

Reson being that most community banks and credit unions cannot afford to operate a division like this on their own. They outsource it, usually to a big bank or another similar provider. If that provider demands a fee, you can bet it will be passed along to you. Credit unions cannot afford to eat it. They are too busy holding mortgage paper on 4% fixed loans, which is suicidal on the income statement over the long haul.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,377 times
My cash is in tin cans, in undisclosed locations. I have them spread out in three counties, buried wooded areas. When I need cash, I go to my nearest ATM(tin can) and make my withdrawal.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 AM

179 posts, read 399,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Whats wrong with going back to writing checks or stopping by the ATM and paying with Cash?

It safer without the worry about stolen identity.
Sorry, but i don't think walking around with cash is safer than carrying a debit card. If your debit card/credit card gets stolen and used somehow, you will get the money back from your bank. Can't do that with cash, you get robbed...you're SOL.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yep let us place the blame where it belongs...Sandwich Dodd, Turbin Durbin, and Log Cabin Frank.
It's really a no-brainer for the bank to levy this charge. They will be saying, "We are getting less revenue directly from purchases now so we shall regain it directly from our retail customers."

Previously the bank were seeing a 44 cent payment to them on each debit card transaction. Now this drops to 21 cents.

I guess that now the merchant will keep the 23 cent difference and we, the consumers and payers, will get stuffed with the $3 -5 (depending on the bank) monthly charge.

It would be too much to hope that the merchants drop each purchase by 23 cents. Yeah, dream on.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:18 PM

368 posts, read 945,698 times
Just open a Mad Money account with NCBT. Free checking and 4.25% interest on the first $25k, with a maximum of two accounts for a total of $50k getting the high interest rate.

The only drawback of this bank is their limited locations, but I hardly ever go to the bank or use an atm so this is irrelevant to me.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:47 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
We recently switched our savings/checking over to an online bank, ING Direct. They pay 1% on savings and .25% on checking with no sign of ATM fees coming. Great online interface and they even have paper checks as well. There are plenty of no fee ATM locations as well, generally those you'd find in a CVS, Wal-Greens or even a Cash Points.

In terms of locally, we also have an account with Piedmont Advantage Credit Union. They have 3 branches in the Iredell/Mecklenburg county area. While that doesn't sound like a lot, the key thing is that any Truliant, Allegacy, etc. credit union (not SECU however) can service our account which means give us cash, take deposits, loan payments, etc. so only a few branches is no big deal at all. We've moved our car loans as well as the HELOC we had over to them as well as their interest rates were substantially better than what we had, which I thought were pretty good!

Definitely some options out there for those looking to leave BoA or any of these other places charging the new fees.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,238 times
Quote:
Yep let us place the blame where it belongs...Sandwich Dodd, Turbin Durbin, and Log Cabin Frank
Oh Jesus. How old are you?

Yes it's the fault of the made up people you mention not BofA, who helped take dow our economy with their incompetence and greed.

Yeah, keep shovelin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte