Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM

32 posts, read 59,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well. . .jobs are tight now, just like everywhere else. What kind of job would you be looking for? Also what's your housing budget, & would you be looking to rent or buy?

West of Charlotte, within your time frame, look at Belmont & Cramerton. Just outside your time frame look at Kings Mountain. However, although Kings Mountain is in both Gaston & Cleveland counties, look on the Cleveland County side because of schools.

West of Charlotte you will see empty buildings because of the collapse of the textile industry & the fallout from that, as well as the recession. Officials are trying to get businesses in to rectify the situation.

Question 1 about a job.I currently work in the machining industry. CNC Machining. I have pulled up google and typed in machine shops Charlotte NC and plenty of shops show up, so I know in that aspect there are plenty of places to work. Weather they are currently hiring is yet to be determined.
Question 2. We would deffenetly be renting something. We could afford $800-1000 a month. I will be the only one providing for my family until we can get settled and get my wife to work. I dont want to jump in to buying something and be stuck there. I want to get to know the area/surrounding areas before we make a commitment.

As I did mention we have an 11 month old boy. School is out a couple of years for us, but deffenity on the back of our minds.

I do have several years working in the automotive field. I would hate to have to go back to that but if thats what it takes to get us up there then I will sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,317 times
Check out Clover, SC. Very small town. Excellent schools. 30-45 minutes to Charlotte. Low taxes. Nearby supermarkets, mom & pop shops, restaurants, etc. Close to Gastonia malls (~20mins.)

Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagdtaco View Post
Question 1 about a job.I currently work in the machining industry. CNC Machining. I have pulled up google and typed in machine shops Charlotte NC and plenty of shops show up, so I know in that aspect there are plenty of places to work. Weather they are currently hiring is yet to be determined.
Question 2. We would deffenetly be renting something. We could afford $800-1000 a month. I will be the only one providing for my family until we can get settled and get my wife to work. I dont want to jump in to buying something and be stuck there. I want to get to know the area/surrounding areas before we make a commitment.

As I did mention we have an 11 month old boy. School is out a couple of years for us, but deffenity on the back of our minds.

I do have several years working in the automotive field. I would hate to have to go back to that but if thats what it takes to get us up there then I will sacrifice.
I'd suggest Kings Mountain or Clover depending on where you found a job. Both have good schools. Kings Mountain is reinventing itself. In both Clover & kings Mountain you'll do a lot of your shopping in Gastonia. There are some businesses in Kings Mountain that hire machinists. Freightliner has a plant in Gastonia & another in Mt Holly. I read a while back that they are reopening a plant in Gaffney, SC (Cherokee County, SC). Unemployment is bad on the NC side, but, to use an expression that my grandmothers used to use, jobs in Cherokee County are "scarcer than hen's teeth". However, if you have a skill that's needed & there isn't a local, you'd get the job.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
Check out Clover, SC. Very small town. Excellent schools. 30-45 minutes to Charlotte. Low taxes. Nearby supermarkets, mom & pop shops, restaurants, etc. Close to Gastonia malls (~20mins.)

Yea Ive been getting comments about Clover SC

Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I'd suggest Kings Mountain or Clover depending on where you found a job. Both have good schools. Kings Mountain is reinventing itself. In both Clover & kings Mountain you'll do a lot of your shopping in Gastonia. There are some businesses in Kings Mountain that hire machinists. Freightliner has a plant in Gastonia & another in Mt Holly. I read a while back that they are reopening a plant in Gaffney, SC (Cherokee County, SC). Unemployment is bad on the NC side, but, to use an expression that my grandmothers used to use, jobs in Cherokee County are "scarcer than hen's teeth". However, if you have a skill that's needed & there isn't a local, you'd get the job.
Ive got in-laws that have house/property in Forest City NC (Rutherford County) So Im somewhat familiar with that area. I thought about Gaffney and Spartenburgh area for employment and possibly live in Forest City, but to me that town was a bit on the old side. To throw another wrench into my situation, I had mentioned that I was from Indiana, well my wife is from New York so we are trying to put ourselves kinda in the middle between the two (time wise).

Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagdtaco View Post
Ive got in-laws that have house/property in Forest City NC (Rutherford County) So Im somewhat familiar with that area. I thought about Gaffney and Spartenburgh area for employment and possibly live in Forest City, but to me that town was a bit on the old side. To throw another wrench into my situation, I had mentioned that I was from Indiana, well my wife is from New York so we are trying to put ourselves kinda in the middle between the two (time wise).
City of Kings Mountain is in both Gaston & Cleveland Counties. Forest City is slightly further west of Kings Mountain than Charlotte is east. 74 & I 85 both go through town. Gaffney is 20 miles south on I 85. You'd probably be closer to Spartanburg from western Cleveland County or eastern Rutherford County.

You could go on the Greenville board & ask questions. They tend to be better for manufacturing jobs because of the BMW plant in Greer.

I just tossed Kings Mountain out as a place to look because there are some places for machinists to get work, plus it's a flexible location 30 miles from Charlotte, 40 miles from Spartanburg, & 40 miles from Hickory, plus all points inbetween. Just a place to consider.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
City of Kings Mountain is in both Gaston & Cleveland Counties. Forest City is slightly further west of Kings Mountain than Charlotte is east. 74 & I 85 both go through town. Gaffney is 20 miles south on I 85. You'd probably be closer to Spartanburg from western Cleveland County or eastern Rutherford County.

You could go on the Greenville board & ask questions. They tend to be better for manufacturing jobs because of the BMW plant in Greer.

I just tossed Kings Mountain out as a place to look because there are some places for machinists to get work, plus it's a flexible location 30 miles from Charlotte, 40 miles from Spartanburg, & 40 miles from Hickory, plus all points inbetween. Just a place to consider.
Thank you, I appriciate that info and time spent giving me some ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte