Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times

Advertisements

"filing a complaint with the Charlotte Community Relations Committee" is not the same as a suit. "Suit" is not mentioned in the WSOC story yet somehow we've got multiple lawsuits mentioned on this thread when I don't think there are any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,010 times
Has anyone checked to see if this woman is working with Mr Agnew in his new venture. Seems when the news dies down, someone stirs it up again.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Has anyone checked to see if this woman is working with Mr Agnew in his new venture. Seems when the news dies down, someone stirs it up again.
maybe... but I know about 3 or 4 people who have had the same complaint as far as sneakers keeping them out while seeing other races with sneakers waltz in right after them.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 AM

123 posts, read 219,207 times
I wasn't there an have never been there so I can't speculate but I will say its probably one of 2 things.

1. Mez is practicing racism and is looking for any and every excuse to keep black people out of there establishment.
2. This couple saw an oppurtunity to make some money and get some attention at the cost of lying and making problems.

Wisdom tells me it can only be one of those 2 things, either way its sick and discraceful. I just hope #2 is right and its just a couple causing these problems and not #1, cause than it would be an entire team and establishment.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
I wasn't there an have never been there so I can't speculate but I will say its probably one of 2 things.

1. Mez is practicing racism and is looking for any and every excuse to keep black people out of there establishment.
2. This couple saw an oppurtunity to make some money and get some attention at the cost of lying and making problems.

Wisdom tells me it can only be one of those 2 things, either way its sick and discraceful. I just hope #2 is right and its just a couple causing these problems and not #1, cause than it would be an entire team and establishment.
I've been there... it's not blatant racism.. they let black people in if they meet the dress requirement, unless you have 5 black guys.. then they may not let them in but I can understand from a ratio standpoint. I don't want to go to any club with a bunch of dudes outnumbering chicks.

The problem though is any black man with sneakers on will get turned away... but most white men with sneakers make it past the door. This is why blacks are scratching their heads at Mez. I have no problem getting turned away for sneakers but you let the white guy right after me in with sneakers?

It's a little shady... add a movie theater into the equation and it's really interesting. I had no idea you had to dress up to watch movies, in the dark. LOL.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Why is this considered "a suit against the EpiCenter"? This individual was barred entry to Mez, not the EpiCenter itself.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM

763 posts, read 821,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post

You have never there yet "speculate" that it was racism?

Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM

368 posts, read 945,698 times
1) Anyone who says any business in the Epicenter discriminates against blacks has obviously never been to Epicenter.

2) There is a big difference between

and

Both are sneakers, but one would be acceptable in a quasi-upscale place like Mez, the other wouldnt.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM

763 posts, read 821,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
1) Anyone who says any business in the Epicenter discriminates against blacks has obviously never been to Epicenter.

2) There is a big difference between

and

Both are sneakers, but one would be acceptable in a quasi-upscale place like Mez, the other wouldnt.
Exactly!

Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM

123 posts, read 219,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I've been there... it's not blatant racism.. they let black people in if they meet the dress requirement, unless you have 5 black guys.. then they may not let them in but I can understand from a ratio standpoint. I don't want to go to any club with a bunch of dudes outnumbering chicks.

The problem though is any black man with sneakers on will get turned away... but most white men with sneakers make it past the door. This is why blacks are scratching their heads at Mez. I have no problem getting turned away for sneakers but you let the white guy right after me in with sneakers?

It's a little shady... add a movie theater into the equation and it's really interesting. I had no idea you had to dress up to watch movies, in the dark. LOL.
I'm not going 2 just believe you cause for all we know you could be than woman or a friend of hers. However I will say that is some bs if that's what's really going on there, also a dress code for a movie theater is pretty stupid imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte