Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,212 times

Advertisements

Blythe itself is not a bad school. The issue (right now, at least) is that it feeds into North Mecklenburg HS, which after redistricting is not a good school. Unfortunately the gods at CMS decided to set up districts in such a way that that Huntersville students actually are split into 3 high schools - 1) Hough, considered the best, 2) Hopewell, considered not terrible but not great, and 3) North Meck, which right now ain't great.

But, a couple of things to keep in mind...

First, redistricting - as Huntersville continues to grow rapidly, the school districts are very likely to change again as it is quite likely that within 10 years there will be a new HS in the area, so the chances that Vermillion will stay zoned for N Meck are probably pretty low.

Second, while there is no guarantee, there is an excellent charter middle and high school (Lake Norman Charter) that is only about 1 mile from Vermillion. They do have a lottery to get in, but the school the best HS in the area.

As another poster pointed out, you can avoid some of the CMS shenanigans and uncertainty by living in Cabarrus County, if that location is convenient for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM

43 posts, read 90,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
Second, while there is no guarantee, there is an excellent charter middle and high school (Lake Norman Charter) that is only about 1 mile from Vermillion. They do have a lottery to get in, but the school the best HS in the area.
The only problem with LKN is that they only start at 5th grade. It is a 5-12 school. It is an outstanding school!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times
There is a new Charter school (K -6th now and then every year they will add a grade going up to 12th) going in off of Poplar Tent Road in Cabarrus County. It's free as it's publicly funded. It's called Cabarrus Charter Academy. You may want to check it out if you are concerned about the schools in your area. It might be a bit of a drive but worth looking into. They are having information sessions now. The school opens in August.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Hummmm good information Riley09swb. I just looked at the website and they are still accepting applications. I went ahead and did it. They didn't mention if it is a lottery system though.... Do you know?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 18,534 times
Thank you for your quick response.
Yes I did try to lottery of community school of davidson but I know thats a needle in a hay stack. I have heard mixed about the school very curious to go there this weekend.
As for the private schools I dont think we can afford it as of right now since my spouse wont have a job. It really stinks because we love the home in the vermillion but this school thing stinks wish it was zoned for Huntersville

Thank you for your feedback.

Michelle

Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM

9 posts, read 18,534 times
thank you all. This tough because we are leaving Long Island to come there and dont know much about these areas. So this helps.

I will also look into that charter school but i bet you do have to be a resident.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emferrari View Post
Hummmm good information Riley09swb. I just looked at the website and they are still accepting applications. I went ahead and did it. They didn't mention if it is a lottery system though.... Do you know?
I believe they are now just accepting applications so it's not on a lottery system yet. Once they get filled then it will go to a lottery system.

I'm not sure that you have to live in the county to attend. I actually don't think that you do. It's getting talked about quite a bit and a couple of people I know from Rowan County are interested as well.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,080 times
We are also relocating to the Huntersville area. My daughter will be starting Kindergarten, we will most likely be in the Torrence Creek Elem. district. This is some great information! Thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emferrari View Post
- South Lake Christian -- Private, tuition around $650/mo + $600 app fee
We paid the big bucks to go there one year, 8th grade. Two of four core courses for my daughter were taught by a "wrangler" from Colorado or somewhere. He was there a year, the year I paid a bunch of money, then he returned to range, where his limited skills could perhaps work out.

Certain people in authority, LIED, about some shortfalls. LIED, and I mean big ones! Did not seem all that Christian to be lied to in such a manner.

It was a grim education experience with the added disadvantage of being very costly.

Good Luck.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM

They were on lockdown today: Lockdown lifted at 3 Huntersville schools | www.wsoctv.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte