Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 AM

218 posts, read 522,906 times

Advertisements

We did it last year and thought it was just OK. Sure the kids would enjoy it but overall I was unimpressed after all the hype I had heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:18 AM

58 posts, read 131,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What direction of 90 minutes are you coming from we can suggest light displays closer to where you are at?

We would be comming from Columbia SC. How far is McAdenville from Charlotte? We had thought of making a day of it so it would not be a trip just for the lights. Besides we love Charlotte and can easily find many things to take up the day and then conclude with the lights. Is there an commercial area of McAdenville such as a downtown where a few shops and cafes would be. BTW thank you guys for all of the input.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If you want to feel the spirit of the season, have folks stand outside wishing you a Merry Christmas, and want to hear the bells playing Christmas carols, McAdenville is the spot.

Having seen both last year, I preferred McAdenville over the track and it had nothing to do with cost over free. To me it wasn't even close. I just preferred the feel of what McAdenville does over the high tech sterility of what CMS does.
Completely agree with this. I *love* McAdenville, seeing the houses (are they mill houses? They seem large for that) with the columns that go to the 2nd floor, walking around the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Yeah, I think that is my problem w/it too. It's neat, but I'd rather walk around and see lights instead of sitting in the car in traffic. I enjoy the display at Daniel Stowe each year. But lights really are cool, so if it's something the whole family would enjoy it is a worthwhile activity.
I don't mind creeping in traffic with all the pretty houses to look at! But there are places to park & walk - there was a thread about that last year. We usually drive, then park at the lake and walk a little bit. Everyone we've come across is super-friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie66 View Post
How far is McAdenville from Charlotte?
It's maybe 20, 25 minutes away. You could take 485 to 77 home.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 AM

564 posts, read 1,453,511 times
Along with McAdenville we always hit Tanglewood festival of lights outside Winston Salem on I40. Last year we rented a 15 passenger van and filled it with WHOLE family grandparents and all. We hit the speedway and then cruised up to Tanglewood. There is a neat barn/store and a large fire pit with people roasting marshmellows and drinking tons of hot cocoa. It was a fun time.

Festival of Lights

Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM

330 posts, read 1,035,928 times
This year there will be more of a reason to get out of your car. There are supposed to be some events (plays, choir) on weekends setup on a stage in a new park they are building off of Main St. I don't have the exact dates but would imagine they would go up on the McAdenville website when they are available.

Personally, as a resident ... I don't understand why anyone would want to drive through. The experience is much better when you get out and walk it. Then again, I don't have to look for parking ....

Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM

28 posts, read 84,491 times
It would be worth the trip if combined with at least one other destination in the Charlotte metro area - but 180 minutes round trip would be a bit much if this were the only destination, IMHO. Once you're actually inside McAdenville, you can inch your way through the whole town in just 30 minutes. Weather permitting, parking and walking is a great way to take it all in. I've even heard of people tailgating next to the pond and venturing out on foot. Beware of heavy traffic on Friday and Saturday nights, especially as Christmas draws nearer - and note that the lights turn off automatically at 9:30p Mon thru Fri and at 11:00p on Saturday and Sunday (lots of folks wait in traffic a long time only to experience the disappointment of seeing the lights turn off - so planning ahead is key).

One thing that surprises a lot of people is that, with the exception of one restaurant, you can't buy anything in McAdenville - no food vendors (though there's free hot chocolate & cookies), no Christmas market or festival, no merchandising, etc. It's just the lights, period. This is intentional. Since 1956, the folks behind Christmas Town have always intended it to remain focused on celebrating what Christmas is really about...the lights are intended to symbolize the light that Christ brought to the world. Over the last several decades, millions of dollars in potential revenue have been foregone in order to avoid straying away from the original purpose - and to this day, Christmas Town remains a completely free, non-commercial event...a gift from McAdenville. Christmas Town (or Christmastown) is a holdout from a bygone era.

If you want to see some great pics and video, check out their official Facebook Page: facebook.com/ChristmasTownUSA.

Last edited by thecandymancan; 11-15-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 08:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
We would be comming from Columbia SC. How far is McAdenville from Charlotte? We had thought of making a day of it so it would not be a trip just for the lights. Besides we love Charlotte and can easily find many things to take up the day and then conclude with the lights. Is there an commercial area of McAdenville such as a downtown where a few shops and cafes would be. BTW thank you guys for all of the input.
Ok sounds like you had plans to visit Charlotte beforehand which is good.
As someone else mention it will be hard to find parking but Im sure it can be done, thats the best way to view the lights as mention.
Check this forum for next months sticky of things going on for holidays in Charlotte area.

If all else fails you have River Banks Zoo light display.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
McAdenville is between Charlotte & Gastonia, maybe 20 minutes from Charlotte, depending on the route.

You could go two ways. You could spend time in Charlotte or west of Charlotte, then go to do the lights. For instance, the Kings Mountain Historical Museum will have their annual model train display up. Exhibits If you go on December 3rd, the Christmas parade will be at 3pm. There are some very nice restaurants to grab a meal while you're there. You'd have plenty of time to get back to McAdenville for when the lights come on.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecandymancan View Post
One thing that surprises a lot of people is that, with the exception of one restaurant, you can't buy anything in McAdenville - no food vendors (though there's free hot chocolate & cookies), no Christmas market or festival, no merchandising, etc. It's just the lights, period. This is intentional. Since 1956, the folks behind Christmas Town have always intended it to remain focused on celebrating what Christmas is really about...the lights are intended to symbolize the light that Christ brought to the world. Over the last several decades, millions of dollars in potential revenue have been foregone in order to avoid straying away from the original purpose - and to this day, Christmas Town remains a completely free, non-commercial event...a gift from McAdenville. It's a holdout from a bygone era.
You CAN buy stuff in McAdenville. There are actually a few pieces of merchandise that they do sell: a commemorative shirt, a hoodie, a long sleeve heavy shirt, and an ornament. They'll sell them outside of the lighting ceremony and they they'll have specific places at specific days where they'll sell them as well. They're all unique designs for each year. I know they sell well but I doubt they actually keep any of the profit from their merchandise.

They have pics of what they sell here: Official Web Site

I was looking through them at their table last year and the items are quality.

And it seems this year they're starting a festival as well. Again, I imagine it would be in the spirit of what McAdenville does and not for some big monetary gain.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 AM

58 posts, read 131,813 times
I really appreciate all of the excellent feedback. Everything I was curious about has been answered and more. I really need to take more trips to the Charlotte area. Being as close as I am Charlotte should be my second home. I happen to think CLT is quite the stunning town. Columbia just seems to suck the spirit out of people. Anyway thanks for all the info!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte