Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:55 PM

58 posts, read 131,988 times

Advertisements

I have heard and seen a lot in the local and national media about the Christmas lights in McAdenville. I live about 90 minutes from the Charlotte area and was wondering if the hike up to Chistmas Town USA is worth it. It does look beautiful but wanted some input from people who have seen it in person. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
It's a ritual here... But 90 minutes one way is a haul!

Combine it with another activity and give it a whirl though. I wouldn't make it a destination only trip though (having seen it more times in more years than I care to admit).

Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,137,971 times
It depends on what you're into. I wouldn't drive 90+ minutes to see a bunch of houses with Christmas lights, but some people really love that stuff. If you and your family would enjoy it, go for it.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM

575 posts, read 1,516,548 times
In my opinion it's best to enter from Wilkerson Blvd. We make sure that we are there at dusk when it officially begins, wait later and the lines get VERY long. We have been going on the 23rd, my birthday, for the last couple of years and then go out to dinner.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:51 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
If you're using a GPS that'll be Wilkinson Blvd.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,411,385 times
If you drive 90 minutes and you're expecting/wanting to see some bombastic display of lights, fork over the 20 and hightail it to Charlotte Motor Speedway for the display at the race track. I guarantee you'll be disappointed with McAdenville.

If you want to feel the spirit of the season, have folks stand outside wishing you a Merry Christmas, and want to hear the bells playing Christmas carols, McAdenville is the spot.

Having seen both last year, I preferred McAdenville over the track and it had nothing to do with cost over free. To me it wasn't even close. I just preferred the feel of what McAdenville does over the high tech sterility of what CMS does.

I blogged about each last year, and I understand that CMS is updating their display, so I guess it's pretty much what you're looking for in a display. The pictures are also mine.

McAdenville: Lighting up Christmas Town – McAdenville, North Carolina | Carolina Lifestyles

CMS: Lighting the track: Carolina Christmas at Charlotte Motor Speedway | Carolina Lifestyles

If you're taking that long of a drive and don't mind the cost, do both.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,735 times
I tried to get to see it last year but those long lines and slow to creeping traffic discourgaed me. I ended up turning around. To me nothing is worth me sitting in my car and wasting gas and time like that. Now if I had a helicopter and a helipad to land it on in the middle of town I would walk around and take in the sites. Otherwise... I'll be home this year. On top of that a 90min drive is too much IMO.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,137,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I tried to get to see it last year but those long lines and slow to creeping traffic discourgaed me. I ended up turning around. To me nothing is worth me sitting in my car and wasting gas and time like that. Now if I had a helicopter and a helipad to land it on in the middle of town I would walk around and take in the sites. Otherwise... I'll be home this year. On top of that a 90min drive is too much IMO.
Yeah, I think that is my problem w/it too. It's neat, but I'd rather walk around and see lights instead of sitting in the car in traffic. I enjoy the display at Daniel Stowe each year. But lights really are cool, so if it's something the whole family would enjoy it is a worthwhile activity.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
What direction of 90 minutes are you coming from we can suggest light displays closer to where you are at?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,367,806 times
I still think Jim and Tammy Faye had the best Christmas display at Heritage USA. But sounds like Charlotte Motor Speedway is doing a nice job now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte