Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:24 PM

148 posts, read 562,760 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to put in an inground pool in your yard in Union County? While looking at homes we are amazed how now one has one. Is is allowed??? Or, do people just not want to bother with one b/c of the subdivision pools? We really would like a home with a pool in the yard. Also, what are the fence height code there for having a pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
Well, I know you can. I have seen several. It is just not as common as some areas of the country because the time frame for swimming is limited by weather.

Not sure about the fencing codes though.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
Is it possible to put in an inground pool in your yard in Union County? While looking at homes we are amazed how now one has one. Is is allowed??? Or, do people just not want to bother with one b/c of the subdivision pools? We really would like a home with a pool in the yard. Also, what are the fence height code there for having a pool?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
It's not about the county guidelines so much as the HOA guidelines in particular neigborhoods. In general, there are not a lot of pools in the metro, probably as you stated because of neighborhood pools.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM

295 posts, read 1,297,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
There is absolutely no law in Union County preventing you from putting in an inground pool. The only thing that might prevent you is a development's HOA, if they have one. Otherwise, its your property.

I'm in Union County. My neighbor just put in a pool a month ago and I'll be following suit next spring.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
And ROI is not as good for inground pools in NC as they are in places like FL and out west.

If you are doing it for your own use and do not plan on selling any time in the near future, that's fine but be aware, it's not that great a selling point. Liz

Old 08-30-2007, 06:57 AM

348 posts, read 430,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
And ROI is not as good for inground pools in NC as they are in places like FL and out west.

If you are doing it for your own use and do not plan on selling any time in the near future, that's fine but be aware, it's not that great a selling point. Liz

I think this statement is a little overdramatized--in fact we bought our house in union county specifically because it had a pool. It's something we'd always wanted--and we purchased the home the very first day it hit the market (and two other offers came in the same day after mine).

We've enjoyed our pool immensely all summer, and I think people from the northeast are coming south hoping for a pool, and those coming from FL will expect one outright. That said, there are people that will want one and those that don't, but ot say that it will take a while to sell a house with one is not correct. Maybe if it eats up your whole yard and there's no place for kids to play, or if you have very young kids and are afraid (we have 2 young boys and we simply invested in a pool cover to protect them). I think it all depends on each individual buyer.

You do have to put a fence around the area with the pool if you plan on getting insurance for your house for sure.

But ROI depends on where you live. Someone in the northeast might not want a pool because the swimming season is short. Here's in Charlotte you can go from May-October with no problem (even April and November if you don't mind a little nip in the water). And for those thinking that taking care of a pool is a lot of work, that's not the case at all. We'd never had a pool and my hubby picked up the basics after one month flat. It just takes minutes a week really.

Just offering another opinion.

Moderator cut: Signature violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-04-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
Quote:
I think this statement is a little overdramatized--in fact we bought our house in union county specifically because it had a pool. It's something we'd always wanted--and we purchased the home the very first day it hit the market (and two other offers came in the same day after mine).
Yes, some people do want a pool and look for properties that have it. But the industry does not lie.

MOST people do not want the hassle unless they are use to it already. Especially with young kids. And it does raise their insurance costs due to liability issues.

Home Improvements - Will They Pay You Back What They Cost?
Quote:
In-ground pools end up being notoriously bad investments, averaging a payback of less than 10%.
Page Title
Quote:
The National Association of Realtors says that adding a pool can increase your home value by about 7 percent (and that number might be higher in locations that are warm year around.) But 7 percent might not begin to cover the cost of a $30,000 in-ground pool. You might find it harder to sell your home, especially to parents of small children.
Tamborine Mountain - Seller's Information This one lists ROI as a bit higher than 7%.
Quote:
Inground pool: 16%
Liz

Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 AM

57 posts, read 221,023 times
What's better than having your own pool?

Having a neighbor that has one!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM

476 posts, read 1,575,698 times
We too were hoping to find a property that already had one. They are few and far between in our price range but we will put one in when we arrive. We are looking forward to having our own and do plan to stay in the house for a while so ROI isn't a consideration at this point. Thanks for the question. Anyone know about the fence, or is that community by community?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,094 times
Back to the ROI thing. I think its more of a matter of preference more than anything. If your planning to put your home on the market understand that probably 25% of the potential buyers will not be interested if it has a pool.

On the other end of things... I know appraisers that will make positive adjustments for pools if they have had extensive hardscaping and such.

The only thing keeping you from putting in a pool would be a HOA restriction OR some type of problem with the parcel like an utility easment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte