Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I think what's new here is the audacity (or maybe that isn't really it) to presume the house brand is superior to national brands that have marketing and stuff to pay for that HT doesn't to raise their price per unit to higher than a national brand (or close to it).

I wonder how many people grab the house brand assuming it's the best but and if HT is counting on that while raising their per unit price.

Will Minute Maid follow suit? Why are they seemingly last at HT?

The other generic brand that isn't the house brand is $2.47 for 59oz but they don't offer a "some pulp" variety.

I'll pay a dime more for Minute Maid even if they shrink to 59oz just to spite HT on this one.

I've never seen before a house brand NOT be the cheapest unless there was some premium like HT's Traders brand.

The cheapest I've seen HT go on the house brand HT is 2 for $5.00 which is now 53 cents more per carton than the cheapest brand in the same store. Now of course it's well over $3 and the cheap brand is sold out.
I went to HT last night. It looked like all brands of the OJ in the clear plastic containers were 59 oz., but most of the cartons I saw were still 64 oz. IIRC I think the Minute Maid 64 oz. carton was actually less expensive than the Minute Maid 59 oz. plastic container.

Also, I really hope people don't actually think that the store brand is better than the national brand (for the most part). The main advantage of the store brand is that it should be less expensive than the national brand. However, as was mentioned, many chains are now coming out with multiple store brands with names that really have no connection to the store name (unless you look at where it's made/distributed from on the back), IMO in hopes that the customer actually thinks this is a real national brand, except it's probably the same as the other store brand just with a fancier looking label. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of store brand stuff and a lot of it is pretty good, but for the most part it's not going to be better quality than the national brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Harris Teeter Shoppers: Get on the email for the weekly specials. It comes out on Wednesday. THey generally have a good selection of VIC specials, and over a couple of weeks, a very very adequate selection. If you shop from the specials, and it makes a very nice shopping list for you, you will save 30 - 50 % ROUTINELY. The key is to use the specials every week, and shop only for what is a VIC special. Doing this makes HT, not only a nicer store, but a cheaper store, too. Good Luck. Use that email!!! THe specials are also on the web page, the the email is a nice reminder when your brain gets as feeble as mine!

As far as shrinking stuff, I think ICE CREAM 'takes the cake" I think it is on its second round of reductions now. Fortunately, we eat very little, but it is almost humorous. Oh yeah, Ricolla throat lozenges are simply disappear, before long I expect they will be wrapped individually!
Their e-vic specials are pretty good, but quite a few times I've tried to get something it's been out of stock after most likely being snatched up by the super duper couponers. Watch out for some of their regular sale items though, for example sometimes they do the "Buy 2 get 3 free" but I think they jack up the price of the first two. One I think I've seen a couple times is like $6.99 for a 24-pack of Deer Park water. I don't think anyone in their right mind would think $6.99 would be a "regular" price for a 24-pack of water when you can get 32 from Sam's/BJ's/Costco for $4. You're still probably saving a little money, just not as much as you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Their e-vic specials are pretty good, but quite a few times I've tried to get something it's been out of stock after most likely being snatched up by the super duper couponers.
Harris Teeter will issue you a "rain check" for any advertised items that are not in stock. Also, they will often substitute a different brand (for the same price as the special) if you ask. I just ask for the manager and have never had a problem with getting a rain check or getting a substitution if it is an item I actually need to use immediately.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:

Also, I really hope people don't actually think that the store brand is better than the national brand (for the most part). .
In the majority of cases, if people were blindfolded, they couldn't tell the store brand from the national brand.

Alot of times people waste a ton of money on buying the more expensive name brand when they could save money and buy store brand.

I'm not saying that for ALL cases (like for Mayo in my case), however alot of people don't use store brands because they feel the store brand is "beneath" them.

Its the same comparison as some people I know won't shop in Walmart or Aldi's (and will only shop in Lowes or HT) because its "beneath" them...

Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Harris Teeter will issue you a "rain check" for any advertised items that are not in stock. Also, they will often substitute a different brand (for the same price as the special) if you ask. I just ask for the manager and have never had a problem with getting a rain check or getting a substitution if it is an item I actually need to use immediately.

good to know! (admittingly I don't really shop at HT much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
In the majority of cases, if people were blindfolded, they couldn't tell the store brand from the national brand.

Alot of times people waste a ton of money on buying the more expensive name brand when they could save money and buy store brand.

I'm not saying that for ALL cases (like for Mayo in my case), however alot of people don't use store brands because they feel the store brand is "beneath" them.

Its the same comparison as some people I know won't shop in Walmart or Aldi's (and will only shop in Lowes or HT) because its "beneath" them...
I'm not sure I'd say it's the majority of cases, but I do agree that a lot of times they are pretty comparable (many times the store brands are made by national companies anyway), and as I said I do buy the store brand often. But I can't think of a product where I'd actually pay more for the store brand than for a national brand, as some stores are trying to do now.

Last edited by GoPhils; 01-04-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
just checked our orange juice, Trader Joes 64 oz and $1.99

Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
Don't forget what has happened to ice cream packaging. What used to be a gallon is now 1.75 gallon or 1.50 gallons. For those who never paid attention in math class, NOW they know why they should have been paying attention. We bought one of those counter top ice cream makers and make our own, now. I have not costed it out (I did pay attention in math class most of the time) but I believe it costs less to make home made ice cream - the cost of the appliance withstanding - and we can make what we want when we want (which is constantly) and the taste is great.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep, and I noticed it right away.

Plus, my TP wobbles on the roller now, lol. Hubby switched to Charmin, as well. However, it is not as economical . . . but that's okay. When life gets down to basics (and TP is about as basic as one can get, lol) . . . if a particular brand costs a bit more - and it makes ya happy - I say - happiness trumps those pennies any day.

Plus, nobody likes a brown palm.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Watch out for some of their regular sale items though, for example sometimes they do the "Buy 2 get 3 free" but I think they jack up the price of the first two.
Except they have changed this too in regards to soda at least. Check last week's Coke deal. It's buy THREE get TWO free instead of the other way around.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
I went to HT last night. It looked like all brands of the OJ in the clear plastic containers were 59 oz., but most of the cartons I saw were still 64 oz. IIRC I think the Minute Maid 64 oz. carton was actually less expensive than the Minute Maid 59 oz. plastic container.
I didn't think to check the plastic. I hop HT carton goes on sale soon so I can buy one cheap. Would like to check the dimensions of the 59oz vs. 64oz though I'm betting they are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte