Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times

Advertisements

Following a trend set by Tropicana, Harris Teeter store brand premium (not from concentrate) orange juice has fallen from 64oz to 59oz.

This is interesting for a "generic" since Minute Maid is still holding out at 64oz which means when there's no sale, the HT brand could end up costing more per ounce than a national brand.

There's a generic/generic brand at HT now for $2.47. It's also 59oz but the price is low. There seems to be a trend at a couple stores at least to introduce a brand that is sub-price the store brand. This makes me scratch my head.

Target from concentrate is also holding at 64oz. I haven't checked the rest.

This volume change at HT is very recent according to the other cartons that haven't made it out of of kitchen yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I had missed this change and ran to the grocery store yesterday specifically for orange juice! Gonna go look at my carton!

I have noticed so many products, from cereal to shorter TP rolls, have gotten smaller in the past 18 months or so. You have to really pay attention, especially if you decided that brand was the most economical in the past and haven't compared lately. I am really bad about doing that.

TY GCharlotte for the heads up!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
This is nothing new. For a while now oz./lb. per package has been decreasing while cost is increasing or in some cases staying steady. Isn't inflation grand?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
This is nothing new. For a while now oz./lb. per package has been decreasing while cost is increasing or in some cases staying steady. Isn't inflation grand?
Isn't it! LOL

Just aggravates me that deceptive techniques are being used to disguise the increases. Of course, the companies doing this are trying to stay competitive and make a profit during tough times but it really has become important that consumers pay attention.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:33 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have noticed so many products, from cereal to shorter TP rolls, have gotten smaller . . .
Oh great--My bum is getting wider, and the TP is getting smaller.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Just checked my not from concentrate Aldi juice and it is 59oz too-I assume it wasn't always?
Can't remember the price but going there today and will check-think it's around $2.47.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
I was just thinking about this yesterday - I was checking the clearance racks at Target and noticed almost all their shirts are tissue-thin! It's one thing when that's a style, like was popular for a while, but these are just normal t-shirts. I like my clothing to actually provide warmth, so I can't understand this. It wasn't just one style - all of their shirts were made of very, very thin cloth.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Just checked - my orange juice has, indeed, changed to 59 oz. Who knows when I would have noticed this.

I am gonna have to take time now to compare things again. I had gotten into a happy habit (with certain staples) after many months of comparison in the past, in different stores and various brands.

I had noticed, for ex., that the cheapest place to buy half-and-half is Harris Teeter, but only when I buy in the quart size. Their quarts are cheaper than anyone elses and I can buy 2 quarts for LESS than I spent on half gallons anywhere else (including HT, itself, lol) Crazy, huh?

But now I am wondering if I need to start all over again w/ price comparisons, paying more attention to changing package sizes. This stuff takes a lot of time. :-(

Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I was just thinking about this yesterday - I was checking the clearance racks at Target and noticed almost all their shirts are tissue-thin! It's one thing when that's a style, like was popular for a while, but these are just normal t-shirts. I like my clothing to actually provide warmth, so I can't understand this. It wasn't just one style - all of their shirts were made of very, very thin cloth.
Yes, they are. I have been noticing the declining quality. Used to be, w/ textile mills in this region, I could get "seconds" for $1 on men's T-shirts - very thick, nice ones. Now, the quality has gone down and of course, those $1 days are gone, lol.

It is hard to find nice t-shirts at any price, CharlotteGal. We need our textile mills back.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, they are. I have been noticing the declining quality. Used to be, w/ textile mills in this region, I could get "seconds" for $1 on men's T-shirts - very thick, nice ones. Now, the quality has gone down and of course, those $1 days are gone, lol.

It is hard to find nice t-shirts at any price, CharlotteGal. We need our textile mills back.
I have noticed this too in the new clothes I buy. I have some old classic shirts that are just way too old LOL but the quality is fantastic compared to the junky stuff being made by the same vendor today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte