Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Advertisements

If it is important for the OP to be around other black professionals it should be noted that Dilworth, Chantilly, Elizabeth, and the most desirable areas of P-M are lily white.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
I love it. I'm a black professional in my mid 20s in Charlotte who moved here last year. It's hilarious, how when ever my family or friends visit my area the first question is (whats the make up of the neighborhood?)...I think it's on people's minds, even if you don't say it aloud. C'mon people...

Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I love it. I'm a black professional in my mid 20s in Charlotte who moved here last year. It's hilarious, how when ever my family or friends visit my area the first question is (whats the make up of the neighborhood?)...I think it's on people's minds, even if you don't say it aloud. C'mon people...
And nothing weird about it.

One of my closest friends was a flight attendant and she had a temporary apartment she shared with others - in Chicago. The first thing she said when describing the neighborhood was - "well, it is basically a Polish neighborhood - we can get really good, inexpensive food and most everyone in the neighborhood speaks some language I don't understand! But I like it!"

Sonofaque - you didn't advise Jgirl where to move!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 93,556 times
Thanks everyone for your responses! I'll be making a visit to Charlotte soon and plan to put all of your input to use :-)

Old 01-06-2012, 03:15 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Oh, I can't help with that. LOL. I just moved to an area that was convenient to my place of employment. I think University City is a great area for all....If I could afford to live in Uptown Charlotte or Ballyntine then I'd be there, but it all depends where your budget is Jgirl86

Old 01-07-2012, 01:59 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Chantilly, Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood and, as I said, Dilworth. I'm sure there are converted houses that have apartments available. They're all charming neighborhoods that should give you what you're looking for.
Those are all great areas to look. When I first saw this thread, I instantly thought of this property next to Big Daddy's Burgers in Dilworth.

There's also these two in 4th Ward.
422 West 8th Street, Charlotte, North Carolina - Google Maps
422 West 8th Street, Charlotte, North Carolina - Google Maps (this one is moreso like a small complex building rather than a home conversion)

^^^These are clearly the more obvious looking rentals. There could be more in this area that's not as obvious.

Even so, Charlotte is NOT Cincy; so I would highly suggest not trying to look for Cincy in Charlotte. Newer rentals (highrise, midrise, complexes, and townhouses) is what you'll find in Charlotte moreso than older home conversions. With that said, it's much easier to find a nice rental along Charlotte's light rail line in the South End neighborhood. Such a move would be an easy light rail commute (5-10 minutes train ride) for an uptown worker (and NO UPTOWN PARKING FEES!!!!). Something to think about. If you're interested, here is the location of the South End neighborhood.
1589 Camden Road, Charlotte, North Carolina - Google Maps

Good luck and welcome to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: