Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Nez Nez started this thread

30 posts, read 126,229 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they thought of the Mummies of the World Exhibit at Discovery Place. My husband and I were considering going, but feel that it is just very pricy. We just came back from NYC where we visited the Natural History Museum and only had to pay $10 for both of us to enter and can't imagine how this exhibit would be worth it.

Also how long did it take you to view the entire exhibit? I'd appreciate any honest opinions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM

196 posts, read 428,837 times
I imagine $10 for admission for 2 was probably a bargin- so if you are looking for something comparable- good luck. However, I thought this was a very well put together exhibit and thought it was worth the money, but then again, we all divide that paycheck differently. The exhibit is timed entry every half hour and self paced from there- I forget how long it took us, as we also spent time at Discovery Place. Check out today's Living Social Deal...

Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,986,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nez View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they thought of the Mummies of the World Exhibit at Discovery Place. My husband and I were considering going, but feel that it is just very pricy. We just came back from NYC where we visited the Natural History Museum and only had to pay $10 for both of us to enter and can't imagine how this exhibit would be worth it.

Also how long did it take you to view the entire exhibit? I'd appreciate any honest opinions. Thanks in advance!

The Natural History Museum? Would that be the same as the "American Museum of Natural History"? Last time I was in NYC, the wife and I went to AMNH and it was $19.00 for adults and $10.50 for kids. Maybe you got a special deal? As always, it was well worth the price of admission.

The mummy exhibit at Discovery Place was $24.00 adults and $18.00 for kids. It was also worth the price of admission. You definitely get more for your money at the AMNH, but the mummy museum was only $5.00 more per person(then what we paid).

Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 PM

87 posts, read 207,223 times
It took us a little over an hour and I think that it was money well spent. The collection of Mummies is extremely varied and impressive. The price is high, but when you factor in the monumental task of moving the exhibit from city to city without causing damage to the mummies, I can understand the expense.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:13 PM

309 posts, read 766,404 times
We also saw the exhibit and while I agree the price was high, I found it to be incredibly interesting.

If price is a concern, don't forget that if you drive in, you will have to pay for parking. The museum's lot is $8 to park. If it's full, you will have to park in the surrounding area. This happened to us & we ended up paying $16 at the Dunhill lot across the street. I thought that was exhorbitant, & I lived in NY & paid NYC parking prices for years!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 AM

763 posts, read 822,768 times
It was an excellent exhibition and I base my opinion on exhibits I have seen in London, New York and other huge museums worldwide. Well worth the money and it would be a shame to not take the kids to see it.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
The observer is giving 3 more chances to win 4 free tickets

http://charlotteobserver.upickem.net...ontestid=47876
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte