Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM

348 posts, read 846,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Two words: North Dakota
Yeah, that's what I hear. Also hear that housing is real hard to come by. So it's opposite from Charlotte.
Charlotte has plenty of housing in the area, no jobs.
North Dakota has plenty of jobs, but no place for the employees to live.
Maybe it's gotten better though since I last heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Anyone can "find" a job. A job to your liking? Maybe not. But don't complain when there's other places in the world doing worse than Charlotte.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Two words: North Dakota
About 1 1/2 years ago I assisted a finder (of investment properties) to find buildable land for housing the oil workers. I did not go there personally....but I can tell you it looked like the ugliest land, envirnoment, winter temps one could imagine. (Or, can't imagine....to live there).

We found a parcel of land for the investor and he went ahead and built. But, I'm not sure, the bloom might be off the rose already for new workers in the oil fields. Best thing to do is check North Dakota forum board.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxs525 View Post
I have been here in Charlotte for 7 years and unemployed for almost 4. I have never had a problem getting a job until I came here. What gives? Looks like after the new year I will have to relocate. You can not make it here without a job.

"never had a problem getting a job"......".Unemployed for 4 of 7 years".......nope don't get it. More to THAT story, I suppose?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM

32 posts, read 42,483 times
Am sorry to hear that you are not able to find a job.I agree with some of our friends from this forum that it is not that we do not have jobs.. we do have job requirements and vacant positions in many organizations. However, It takes little more than just applying, we got to be adaptable to learn new things based on the basic law of "Supply and Demand" which should not take much time and tailor your message to each employer and being mindful of the details that they are looking for. I am not saying it should be entirey different from what you are .. but phrasing and emphasis on what you can do beyond your actual skillset is also important.

All we need is getting short listed and after that it solely depends on us , how confident you are and how well you can impress the employer with your skill set.Also,as Winegardener said "I think your odds are far better by standing out through the traditional means".

BTW, We had been trying to recruit someone for the last 8 months and we have received only three resumes and no luck yet.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
BTW, We had been trying to recruit someone for the last 8 months and we have received only three resumes and no luck yet.

doing what?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

doing what?

It's a secret. Shhh.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
It's because a family of 4 on public assistance has more disposable income than someone who works and earns $60K/year.

This is why you can't find people to work for anything less than this.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
There were only 60 jobs available at out local airport. Most were low pay service jobs and OVER 2700 PEOPLE APPLIED IN JUST SEVERAL HOURS. These people coming to charlotte looking for work need to wake up ..SORRY WE ARE FULL UP . This is not the land of OZ

Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
There were only 60 jobs available at out local airport. Most were low pay service jobs and OVER 2700 PEOPLE APPLIED IN JUST SEVERAL HOURS. These people coming to charlotte looking for work need to wake up ..SORRY WE ARE FULL UP . This is not the land of OZ

Just goes to show you..there are jobs here....May not be the one you desire....but hey..its income coming it and it beats being broke. With that being said..too many people are moving here wanting and expecting the high dollar salary to go with the great position he or she just landed....Sorry folks...not in Charlotte....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte