Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 AM

145 posts, read 265,505 times

Advertisements

Hello! Thanks for reading this! I am possibly relocating to Charlotte, from Louisville.

I have never been there, and do not know a lot about the area! But have some amazing job opportunities out there. I am 30, single, no kids. I have 2 cats and would like to rent.

My main criteria is living in a walk-able neighborhood, hip, young families or single people, etc... I like to be able to walk to restaurants, shops, coffee, brew pubs, etc...and I'd hope to spend under $800/month.

Any tips on what area to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,718,607 times
Based on what you said I am thinking NoDa area. Its probably the only trendy/hip part of Charlotte with young people, shops, restuarants, etc.

The only downside is that like most hip trendy areas in other cities you also have some not very nice or not safe areas nearby so you have to be careful.

You might also want to check out Elizabeth area or Dilworth but they might be out of your price range.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 AM

335 posts, read 700,462 times
South End

Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM

7,078 posts, read 12,363,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi527 View Post
Hello! Thanks for reading this! I am possibly relocating to Charlotte, from Louisville.

I have never been there, and do not know a lot about the area! But have some amazing job opportunities out there. I am 30, single, no kids. I have 2 cats and would like to rent.

My main criteria is living in a walk-able neighborhood, hip, young families or single people, etc... I like to be able to walk to restaurants, shops, coffee, brew pubs, etc...and I'd hope to spend under $800/month.

Any tips on what area to look at?
South End Neighborhood

^^^One bedrooms here starting at $915/month

^^^One bedrooms here starting at $885/month

^^^One bedrooms here starting at $850/month

I also recently found that quite a few 1 bedrooms in areas like 4th ward are going for less than $900 per month; two bedrooms going for $1,000 (or slightly under that). Here is a link to the Forth Ward area of town.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Awesome, thank you!! 800 was just a guess, I'd go up a bit more for the right price. But even a studio works for me...I don't have much stuff and am typically not home often!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 PM

7,078 posts, read 12,363,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi527 View Post
Awesome, thank you!! 800 was just a guess, I'd go up a bit more for the right price. But even a studio works for me...I don't have much stuff and am typically not home often!
You'd fit in at South End. Almost everything you'll need is within walking distance (YMCA, parks, tennis courts, jogging path along the light rail line, restaurants, bars, clubs, health care). About the only thing that's somewhat lacking in South End is retail, but there are a few clothing stores at the corner of Camden Road and South Tryon Street.
1200 camden road charlotte - Google Maps

You also have the Metropolitan Area (which is just a 3 minute drive from South End via I-277). That area has West Elm, Trader Joes, Target, Marshalls, and Best Buy (more maybe there, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head). Here is the location of the Metropolitan/Midtown area (you can see the "Pink Building" of South End in the distance).
756 Charlottetowne Avenue, Charlotte, North Carolina - Google Maps

If you want more retail, South Park mall is a 12 minute drive from South End.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,658,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You also have the Metropolitan Area (which is just a 3 minute drive from South End via I-277). That area has West Elm, Trader Joes, Target, Marshalls, and Best Buy (more maybe there, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head). Here is the location of the Metropolitan/Midtown area (you can see the "Pink Building" of South End in the distance).
The Met just got several new restaurants - Hickory Tavern and La Paz. Chipotle also just opened across the street. Metropolitan's also an easy walk to Myers Park and Elizabeth, and just minutes from downtown - a 20 minute walk, or 5 minute drive. There are plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, bars, and shops in the area, and it's on the Greenway, which is an easy way to get to East Blvd/Dilworth and Park Road Shopping Center.

There are more people in South End - on any warmish day, you'll see lots and lots of folks out biking and walking their dogs, so that might be more desirable if you're wanting to meet folks.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You'd fit in at South End. Almost everything you'll need is within walking distance (YMCA, parks, tennis courts, jogging path along the light rail line, restaurants, bars, clubs, health care). About the only thing that's somewhat lacking in South End is retail, but there are a few clothing stores at the corner of Camden Road and South Tryon Street.
1200 camden road charlotte - Google Maps

If you want more retail, South Park mall is a 12 minute drive from South End.
Awesome! That area sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Retail..no biggie...I am not much of a shopper. I buy clothes online or at consignment shops. I do like that a Trader Joe's is within a short drive . And West Elm rocks.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
The Met just got several new restaurants - Hickory Tavern and La Paz. Chipotle also just opened across the street. Metropolitan's also an easy walk to Myers Park and Elizabeth, and just minutes from downtown - a 20 minute walk, or 5 minute drive. There are plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, bars, and shops in the area, and it's on the Greenway, which is an easy way to get to East Blvd/Dilworth and Park Road Shopping Center.

There are more people in South End - on any warmish day, you'll see lots and lots of folks out biking and walking their dogs, so that might be more desirable if you're wanting to meet folks.
Yes! I am the kind of person that often makes new friends at the park, a brew pub, in line at the grocery store...so areas where people are out and about are very appealing. Especially as I won't know anyone there.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,296,474 times
If you like more bohemian flair, check out Plaza Midwood. In addition to numerous restaurants and pubs, you would have consignment stores, grocery store, library and Post office all within walking distance. There are however not as many apartments in that area compared to the South End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte