Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
Huh? The level if interest in the Panthers is sky high here. Every bar shows the panthers, but they go out of their way to cater to other fans. It's a good business move but I'm sick of it.
Steeler fans spend money so the bars cater to them. It won't happen as much though with Cam in town... I'm a Steeler fan but I find myself watching the Panthers due to the excitement.... in the first half, LOL.

I understand the Bobcats aren't popular but sports bars have a duty to show the game IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
..and I just answered your question so what's with the attitude?
What attitude? Lighten up, Francis. Just making a stupid joke.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
To OP, just ask the bar to change the channel to the game (if they carry the channel). Most don't mind (as long as someone else hasn't asked to watch what is currently playing).

What college basketball are you watching? They play for 4 months plus a 1.5 month playoff.

They are a young team with a gapping hole at Center. The starting PF (Diaw - overweight) needs to go. MJ/RH were blind to think they could pull a guy like Chris Paul in by clearing roster i.e. Gerald Wallace (who wanted to be here) and Stephen Jackson. All signs point to him (then and now) that he isn't coming anytime soon. The only way Charlotte gets a superstar is to farm one themselves by drafting/developing them. As for winning... even when they were, they still had a rough time pulling in a crowd.
I didn't say they refused to show the game I was just wondering why it needs to be requested.

I can understand if a place has 4 TV's but some of these places have 40+ TV's.

Just thought a city with an NBA team would have sportsbars that acknowledge their presence.

The Bobcats marketing team needs to get off their butts and entice these places with tickets. The team this year has a few decent players and Kemba Walker is exciting to watch when he gets in.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What attitude? Lighten up, Francis. Just making a stupid joke.
Sorry, not really a fan of being called Beavis or Francis...

Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
As for winning... even when they were, they still had a rough time pulling in a crowd.
Oh noooooooooo sir. I was there for game 4 against Orlando. That place was packed and LOUD (reminded me of the Hornets days). If this team becomes a winner for most seasons (not all, but most), the fans will show up. At this point in the game, folks just want to see a winning product. Due to the fact that the Bobcats lack a history with this city, people are not going to show up just to see anything out there on the floor. In other words, the Hornets (if they had stayed) could have gotten away with being sorry here and there. The Bobcats however can not get away with it..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Oh noooooooooo sir. I was there for game 4 against Orlando. That place was packed and LOUD (reminded me of the Hornets days). If this team becomes a winner for most seasons (not all, but most), the fans will show up. At this point in the game, folks just want to see a winning product. Due to the fact that the Bobcats lack a history with this city, people are not going to show up just to see anything out there on the floor. In other words, the Hornets (if they had stayed) could have gotten away with being sorry here and there. The Bobcats however can not get away with it..
I can understand that... but not showing the games at sports bars. That's easy.

I've been to a few Bobcat games and I had a great time. They had a packed house when Boston came last year and they won.

I think this team will improve but they need a superstar on the team.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM

181 posts, read 353,789 times
I would also consider they just started the season about two weeks ago. There have been lots of college football bowl games and NFL to compete with.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Agreed! However, I was recently at a YMCA in Gastonia (BIG TIME college basketball country out that way) and the young guys I was shooting ball with were actually talking about some of the new Bobcats players in a casual conversation. I also saw a guy in Mt. Holly driving a blue car (hatchback) with a large Charlotte Bobcats logo on his rear window.

^^^It was NOT the same design as this one, but it was the same size. I'm still a bit skeptical though. My guess is that this guy works for the Bobcats in some way (front office, sales rep, something).

As for "college basketball being a religion here", this is true. However, there's never been a college basketball program that basically said "build a new arena or else we're gone". The NBA and the Hornets were LOVED up until they told Charlotte and NC that "we're outta here". Nothing like that has ever happened to this region before; as a result, people have a hard time giving their heart and soul back to pro-basketball.

The attendance numbers of the Charlotte Hornets (back when the city's population was under 500K and the metro was under 1.5 mil) don't lie.
1993-1994 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN
1994-1995 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Panthers played their first game in Charlotte in 1996, and the Hornets still did well...
1995-1996 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN
1996-1997 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Then came the rumors that the Hornets were trying to leave...
1997-1998 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN
1998-1999 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN
1999-2000 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Fast-forward 10 years; the Hornets are owned by the NBA and Charlotte is stuck with a sorry expansion team with very little history with this city...
2009-2010 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

^^^Again, the numbers don't lie. IMO, this is NOT Charlotte's fault; the NBA and their greed did this. Had the NBA taken over the Hornets 10 years ago, left them in Charlotte, and gave New Orleans the "Bobcats" expansion team (or better yet, never allowed the Jazz to leave Nola for Utah in the first place) both of these cities would be MUCH better NBA markets. Instead, neither city really cares for the NBA. And for those who think that katrina is the blame, look at the Saints attendance.
2011 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

My point is that the NBA has a failed business model and they need to change their ways quick and in a hurry. 23 out of 30 or so teams are losing money. The league as a whole has a net loss well into the 100s of millions per year. The NBA has a BIG problem, and Charlotte and Nola are just small symptoms of the bigger problem at hand.
We've had this discussion plenty of times on CD before. Alot has to do w/how well the team is doing..

in MOST cases, winning will bring the fannies in the seats. Bobcats attendance goes up when they peform better. In the past couple of years that's been few and far between.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM

335 posts, read 699,982 times
Who are the Bobcats?

Old 01-10-2012, 03:17 PM

459 posts, read 699,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I didn't say they refused to show the game I was just wondering why it needs to be requested.

I can understand if a place has 4 TV's but some of these places have 40+ TV's.

Just thought a city with an NBA team would have sportsbars that acknowledge their presence.

The Bobcats marketing team needs to get off their butts and entice these places with tickets. The team this year has a few decent players and Kemba Walker is exciting to watch when he gets in.

Another main problem for Bobcats is most of the residents here in Charlotte are not native. My office alone we have 1 person who was actually born and bred in Charlotte (Mint Hall), the rest of us are either from another country or up north somewhere.

There's just no real demand for the local team.

Now since I myself come from the UK the Bobcats are my first foray into NBA and I am enjoying it and since my company has a box in the arena I get to go to a few of the games as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte