Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:31 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,130,736 times

Advertisements

According to this article, the underpass at I-77 and West Trade could be lit within the next 5-6 weeks. There will be 3 color schemes, including the JCSU colors blue & gold.

Any thoughts on this? What a neat idea to energize an underpass. Has anyone seen this done in other cities?
Attached Thumbnails
Lighted underpass - I kinda like the idea-underpass.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,668,757 times
I like the idea as well...

Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,581,408 times
I think it is cool and cant wait to see and see see someone posts pictures of it in the photo thread.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,258,072 times
Why does an underpass need to be "energized"? I didn't realize that the transition from blah to blah was not seamless now. Who is paying for this?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,581,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why does an underpass need to be "energized"? I didn't realize that the transition from blah to blah was not seamless now. Who is paying for this?
According to the article the Arts & Science Council.
I will go a little further who paying for electricity the city or state?
Next question is has this approved by the state since the bridge is maintain by the state and who is going to pay for the upkeep?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,746,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
According to the article the Arts & Science Council.
I will go a little further who paying for electricity the city or state?
Next question is has this approved by the state since the bridge is maintain by the state and who is going to pay for the upkeep?
where does the arts/science council get their money?

Taxpayers I'm assuming.....

Can someone refute this? I'm hoping so...

Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,206,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
where does the arts/science council get their money?

Taxpayers I'm assuming.....

Can someone refute this? I'm hoping so...
I know Meck Co. residents and City residents contribute for some of their funding (don't know about the suburban sponges, you oughta do your research )... and are overwhelmingly in favor of such when polled. They also get Federal Grant money, and a lot of private contributions.

I personally contribute every year, and I'm grateful for their presence. They certainly make Charlotte more exciting. Plus my contributions get me killer discounts at museums and events.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:46 AM

403 posts, read 879,170 times
Sounds like a really good idea from the stand point of a "Welcome" to the city of Charlotte........"and" trying to help keep crime down at the same time in that area.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM

468 posts, read 828,172 times
Geez.......... now the homeless won't be able to sleep at night with all that light.

I'm sure that in time, someone will find a way to extinguish the lights through vandalism. It is amazing what gets destroyed in a city and no one ever notices who is doing it.

I would rather see the lights along the interstate get repaired first before money is spent on something like this.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,206,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
I would rather see the lights along the interstate get repaired first before money is spent on something like this.
well then... you should get a job with the NCDOT, lobby for Council and Commissioners to kill funding for the A&SC, then lobby the GA to kill funding for the A&SC, then lobby Congress to kill grant funding for the A&SC, then you can lobby to have those funds re appropriated by each of government levels to the NCDOT for your group.

Then you'll probably be overruled and the money will ultimately be spent on road construction in Bev's neck of the woods (down east).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte