Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,060 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in Gastonia soon and we are looking to move from Greensboro, NC to the area. I have read some negative things about living in Gastonia (never sure about what you read) and also think that possibly somewhere closer to Charlotte or in Charlotte would be a better fit for us. Looking around on the internet, however, it seems the best suburb areas are north, south and east of Charlotte... not west. I don't want my husband to have to commute more than 30 minutes and 20 minutes would be my preference for him. Any thoughts from those of you familiar with CLT and surrounding towns/suburbs? Currently we live in a very nice familly neighborhood in GSO in a 4 bedroom/ 2 car garage brick home and hope to live in something similar when we move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM

205 posts, read 647,294 times
Personally I would look in Lake Wylie or Clover. You get all the advantages of living in SC and an easy commute to work for your husband.

Last edited by nc2sc778; 01-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureenf View Post
My husband will be working in Gastonia soon and we are looking to move from Greensboro, NC to the area. I have read some negative things about living in Gastonia (never sure about what you read) and also think that possibly somewhere closer to Charlotte or in Charlotte would be a better fit for us. Looking around on the internet, however, it seems the best suburb areas are north, south and east of Charlotte... not west. I don't want my husband to have to commute more than 30 minutes and 20 minutes would be my preference for him. Any thoughts from those of you familiar with CLT and surrounding towns/suburbs? Currently we live in a very nice familly neighborhood in GSO in a 4 bedroom/ 2 car garage brick home and hope to live in something similar when we move.
We just had a thread last week concerning a job in Gastonia. I live in Kings Mountain. If you don't want to live in this area, based on a message board, I won't try to persuade you. In your timeframe, look at Huntersville.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
I would not base my decision based on here say on the internet, nor would I begin my search based on the same.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureenf View Post
My husband will be working in Gastonia soon and we are looking to move from Greensboro, NC to the area. I have read some negative things about living in Gastonia (never sure about what you read) and also think that possibly somewhere closer to Charlotte or in Charlotte would be a better fit for us.
It all depends. Gastonia gets dumped on simply because its the most urbanized "suburb" (it really isn't a true Charlotte suburb though). With this comes the good things like more jobs (many being service type jobs) and better mass transit (though Concord's newer local bus service might be better than Gastonia's) . However, with this comes the bad things like prostitution, drug usage, lots of domestic violence calls, and higher rates of drunk driving.

The good news though is that Gastonia is by no means worse or better than many other towns in NC; Gastonia is just the most "urbanized" of the Charlotte area suburbs (making Gaston very different than the transplant-villes of Cabarrus, York, and Union).

That said, Gastonia (especially around Cox Road) is starting to look and feel more like "Charlotte-west" (and I don't mean "West Charlotte"). There are some nice brick homes in the South New Hope Road area of town as well. IMO, you might want to visit Gastonia first before making your final move. I'm not at all trying to keep you from moving to Charlotte. I just feel that people should try to live near their work. You'll find quickly that Gastonia has much of what you'll want/need in everyday life (and it is cheaper than Charlotte too).

Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It all depends. Gastonia gets dumped on simply because its the most urbanized "suburb" (it really isn't a true Charlotte suburb though). With this comes the good things like more jobs (many being service type jobs) and better mass transit (though Concord's newer local bus service might be better than Gastonia's) . However, with this comes the bad things like prostitution, drug usage, lots of domestic violence calls, and higher rates of drunk driving.

The good news though is that Gastonia is by no means worse or better than many other towns in NC; Gastonia is just the most "urbanized" of the Charlotte area suburbs (making Gaston very different than the transplant-villes of Cabarrus, York, and Union).

That said, Gastonia (especially around Cox Road) is starting to look and feel more like "Charlotte-west" (and I don't mean "West Charlotte"). There are some nice brick homes in the South New Hope Road area of town as well. IMO, you might want to visit Gastonia first before making your final move. I'm not at all trying to keep you from moving to Charlotte. I just feel that people should try to live near their work. You'll find quickly that Gastonia has much of what you'll want/need in everyday life (and it is cheaper than Charlotte too).
+5 I can't rep you urban.

What you say is true. However, I have taken a lot of time & pains to truthfully describe this area & that doesn't count for anything. The only thing that counted to the OP was comments by posters who like to take potshots at this area, so I think that she should look in Huntersville, & I will continue to tell every poster who can only see negative to go to Huntersville. There are enough threads on this board that deal with this area now that if someone has an open mind they can see that there are several nice places to live.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 AM

104 posts, read 304,196 times
I would certainly recommend you to come visit Gastonia for yourself before having your husband commit to that drive. I believe you will be very surprised. Some make Gastonia as a backwards poor town and that is not true we have million dollar per home subdivisions and we have 50k per home subdivisions. We have some of the best shopping in the area. We have 85 that runs dead center which allows you to be at the Gaffeney outlet in 25 minutes or Concord Mills out in 25 minutes. Just take a day and visit if all possible.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,430 times
My daughter lives in Dallas (small town right outside of Gastonia) and she loves the easy access to shopping, dining, entertainment. She prefers Gastonia to any other city in the area for those things.
There is a totally different vibe in Huntersville and towns surrounding it...it's lakeside, so you have to take that into consideration.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
My daughter lives in Dallas (small town right outside of Gastonia) and she loves the easy access to shopping, dining, entertainment. She prefers Gastonia to any other city in the area for those things.
There is a totally different vibe in Huntersville and towns surrounding it...it's lakeside, so you have to take that into consideration.
You've posted nice things about this area & a few others have as well, including me. There are a handful of posters who delight in making nasty posts about this area.

The OP does not want to live in this area, based on this board. That means that the OP has seen positive as well as negative posts. She doesn't want to be here, so, within the confines of what she wants, she should go to Huntersville.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 PM

66 posts, read 122,888 times
Belmont and Mount Holly are nice small towns in eastern Gaston county. Huntersville, cornelius, or Davidson are nice towns north of Charlotte and near Lake Norman. The commute would be very reasonable due to I-485. Also, Ayrsley area may be worth checking in southwest Charlotte. The commute would be reasonable due I-485.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte