Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario26 View Post
"Atlanta is Larger than Charlotte?" l0l I just have to comment to those who think that. First of all, I'm a 26 y/o, well traveled Charlotte native. Now, I love Atl as I do Charlotte. But, Atlanta, GA is not larger than Charlotte, NC. Those of you who think that are thinking about the "Metro Area" of Atl, and not the "city" itself. Stop thinking about Gwinnette, Dekalb, Cobb county, etc that makes up "Atlanta Metro Area." Atl may shadow Charlotte in some ways. But in the way in question, it dose not. If you Compare the two "cities," those of you who think otherwize will see by population and land mast, Charlotte, NC is larger than Atlanta, GA. One can drive from downtown Atl for like 20-30 minutes and start to notice different police cars. Witch can only mean 1 of 3 things, "you are now in a different police distrect, you have reached the end of Atlanta's city limit, or you are no longer in Fulton County." ....Do your reserch, ppl.
Charlotte's bigger than Philly too because there city limits are the same size as Atlanta.

I wish these kind of threads would just die between Atlanta and Charlotte its becoming ridiculous how much more vs thread on these cities can we entertain?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Charlotte's bigger than Philly too because there city limits are the same size as Atlanta.

I wish these kind of threads would just die between Atlanta and Charlotte its becoming ridiculous how much more vs thread on these cities can we entertain?.
These "my things bigger than your thing" threads drive me nuts. No pun intended.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM

239 posts, read 376,540 times
Well, no one has commented on the young mans post, so I will.
And he is absolutely correct! Im comparing the CITY's to population and land mass, Charlotte's population is an estimated 300,000 people more than Atlanta. And Charlotte's square mileage is over 150 more square miles BIGGER than Atlanta, which is about the difference of the city of Tampa, Fl.

As far as Metro areas, theres no comparison, with Atlanta having about 5,000 MORE square mileage in its "metro" area that Charlotte, and about 3 million more people in the metro region than Charlotte.

But he is right, Charlotte is a MUCH bigger city that Atlanta. In the same right, Atlanta has a MUCH bigger METRO than Charlotte.

Also, I have said time and time again that these cities are very similar to me, in term of scenery. you may not get the same DOWN SOUTH vibe in charlotte as you do in Atlanta, but the 2 cities kinda look similar to me , as far as the flatness at time, the hillyness at times, the streets, LOTS OF TREES, homes, etc.
I have spent alot of time in Atlanta, and driving in both cities , they kinda look similar.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario26 View Post
"Atlanta is Larger than Charlotte?" l0l I just have to comment to those who think that. First of all, I'm a 26 y/o, well traveled Charlotte native. Now, I love Atl as I do Charlotte. But, Atlanta, GA is not larger than Charlotte, NC. Those of you who think that are thinking about the "Metro Area" of Atl, and not the "city" itself. Stop thinking about Gwinnette, Dekalb, Cobb county, etc that makes up "Atlanta Metro Area." Atl may shadow Charlotte in some ways. But in the way in question, it dose not. If you Compare the two "cities," those of you who think otherwize will see by population and land mast, Charlotte, NC is larger than Atlanta, GA. One can drive from downtown Atl for like 20-30 minutes and start to notice different police cars. Witch can only mean 1 of 3 things, "you are now in a different police distrect, you have reached the end of Atlanta's city limit, or you are no longer in Fulton County." ....Do your reserch, ppl.
This is a bit silly. It's quite common for people to refer to the metro area, a city and its suburbs, when talking about how big a place is. Municipal limits and populations are arbitrary boundaries and differ from city to city due to history, geography, state laws, etc. Metro to metro comparisons are a common, widely-used indicator for comparing places in different jurisdictions because the same standard of measurement is used.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:48 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Atlanta's metro sprawls over 10,000 square miles compared to Charlotte's 6000. There really isn't much point in comparing the count of strip malls and cul de sac neighborhoods of one place over the other. Go to Union county and you seen 90% of the ATL metro and vice versa.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,017 times
I was in Winston Salem over the weekend and in all honestly Winston Salem reminds me of Charlotte in terms of layout (not amenities, population, although Winston Salem has a surprising number of strip clubs). Interesting how Winston Salem was once a powerful city (big tabacco) - but based/known for one industry. Same as Charlotte - based/known for one industry. When big tabacco started going south due to regualations so did Winston Salem. This probably won't happen to Charlotte because the city smartly decided to add some national amenities (i.e. sports), and is attempting to diversify it's businesses - although corporate tax incentives may not be enough (see Dell to Winston Salem - tax incentives)

Old 03-25-2016, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,353 times
Why are you guys acting like Atlanta is such a hostile place? Every city has at least one hostile place, including Charlotte. Those of you who are complaining were probably in a bad part of the city. Every city has a bad place in it. I live in Atlanta, and it is actually a very beautiful place. People who have had some bad experiences should visit Decatur. (it is a part of Atlanta) It is a very family-friendly environment and there are many houses that are on sale. You should go an visit Piedmont Park, especially in the fall when the leaves change colors. Atlanta is a beautiful place and it is also my beloved home. You just need to give it a chance.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,353 times
What you are basically saying is that Atlanta is absolutely awful compared to Charlotte. That hurt. A lot. Not all parts of Atlanta are bad!

Old 03-26-2016, 05:28 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Did you resurrect this 4-year-old thread just to say that???

Old 03-26-2016, 04:09 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,897 times
Quote:
Did you resurrect this 4-year-old thread just to say that???
Not only that, look at their post count - they joined the forum to respond to a 4 year old thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte