Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,187 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are considering a move to North Carolina from Connecticut. We are looking for an area with good schools for our 2 kids (ages 5 & 7), and a place where we can walk as much as possible.

The two areas I have narrowed our search down to is Birkdale Village and Fort Mil, SC. I have only ever been to Birkdale Village, have not yet visited Fort Mill.

Can anyone let me know if one of these areas might be better than the other? We are originally from NYC, and are in creative fields, we are somewhat liberal, not religious, like to meet new people and feel like we are a part of a community. We will work from home - so commuting is not an issue. We would like an area with lots of activities and things to do w/ kids.

Also, we would like to do a 'test' move and stay for a couple of months to make sure it is a good fit. We would prefer a furnished house in either of these areas but so far I can't find anything. Does anyone have any tips on how to find a place like this? I can only find long term rentals or apartments.

Thanks so much!

Alice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Fort Mill has some of the best schools in the region, but Baxter Village isn't as large nor does it have as many amenities as Birkdale. The plus side of that is that Baxter Village pretty much stays local and doesn't get as many outside visitors. Don't know for sure, but considering the type of area it is, I'm pretty sure the schools are good in Huntersville as well.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 PM

186 posts, read 436,540 times
The main difference between the two is that Birkdale has a lot more shopping and restaurants than Baxter Village, major retailers as opposed to local businesses only. The neighborhood of houses in Birkdale is much smaller than Baxter, and a big chunk of the neighborhood is large golf course type homes - pretty sure Baxter doesn't have a golf course. There are many more apartments in and around Birkdale and don't think there are any at Baxter, plus Lake Norman is literally right there with various lake access points. I think home values have held up better in Baxter, there is a school right in the neighborhood plus an amazing YMCA with quite a swimming pool plus the neighborhood pools. In Huntersville you'd need to be very careful about the specific elementary school assignment. Torrance Creek is one of the most overcrowded schools in the state... drive by and look at the field of trailer classrooms. Really, you couldn't go wrong with either neighborhood, I live very near Birkdale and like the area but it is becoming very busy and crowded. I think Baxter is a beautiful neighborhood and judging by the prices, many people think its highly desirable as well.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceremm View Post
Hi!

We are considering a move to North Carolina from Connecticut. We are looking for an area with good schools for our 2 kids (ages 5 & 7), and a place where we can walk as much as possible.

The two areas I have narrowed our search down to is Birkdale Village and Fort Mil, SC. I have only ever been to Birkdale Village, have not yet visited Fort Mill.

Can anyone let me know if one of these areas might be better than the other? We are originally from NYC, and are in creative fields, we are somewhat liberal, not religious, like to meet new people and feel like we are a part of a community. We will work from home - so commuting is not an issue. We would like an area with lots of activities and things to do w/ kids.

Also, we would like to do a 'test' move and stay for a couple of months to make sure it is a good fit. We would prefer a furnished house in either of these areas but so far I can't find anything. Does anyone have any tips on how to find a place like this? I can only find long term rentals or apartments.

Thanks so much!

Alice
Why not look for rentals in Dilworth? Much more of a real walkable environment than either of those two options.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM

11 posts, read 26,076 times
I'm interested to know where you ended up? My husband & I are relocating to NC from CT also, with 3 young kids. We like Birkdale, but heard not so good things about schools in the area...Ft. mill looks appealing, with great schools & such close proximity to S. Charlotte (which I love).

Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM

156 posts, read 309,525 times
We too are looking to relocate to NC.
Fort Mill, Mint Hill, or Rock Hill...which is the area that is not desirable??

Old 03-16-2012, 02:09 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post

It's Rock Hill you want to avoid.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 PM

87 posts, read 207,187 times
I live in Fort Mill and love it! Baxter is a wonderful neighborhood. It is a large neighborhood, but that means there is always something going on. Tomorrow is the annual Spring Fling. There will be a St. Patrick's Day Parade sponsered by Six Pence Pub and live music. Baxter residents are a fairly young crowd for the most part and many of them like to have a good time. About once a month the restaurants along Market St organize a bar crawl and it usually has a theme, such as dress up in the style of the decade you were born. Lots of fun!

Baxter is also home to some wonderful businesses such as Cupcrazed, winner of The Food Network's Cupcake Wars.

The schools in Fort Mill are fantastic and you will find that the majority of people move to Fort Mill for the schools.

I've never been to Birkdale, but it sounds wonderful too.
One positive of Fort Mill to Huntersville is the quicker drive into Charlotte. I know you won't need to commute, but it's still nice to have quick, easy access to Charlotte's restaurants, shopping, and sporting events.

And speaking of sporting events, if you like baseball, Fort Mill is home to the CHarlotte Knights.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
It's Rock Hill you want to avoid.
Why? Rock Hill is a decent place to live. It functions more as a semi-independent town as opposed to a fully dependent suburb of Charlotte and has some good neighborhoods and solid schools.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:29 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin M View Post
I've never been to Birkdale, but it sounds wonderful too.
One positive of Fort Mill to Huntersville is the quicker drive into Charlotte. I know you won't need to commute, but it's still nice to have quick, easy access to Charlotte's restaurants, shopping, and sporting events.

Baxter Village and Birkdale Village are virtually equidistant from uptown Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Well 2 of those 3 are not in NC...I agree with Mutiny77 in that I had never heard of Rock Hill (or either of the other 2 towns) as being a place to avoid. But Rock Hill is the furthest of the 3 from Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte