Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9181 View Post
.... Also, I had no idea that they played in SC. Wow
GHEESH!!! You make is sound like it's in a foreign country, lol!!! The stadium is right over the state line, one more exit past Carowinds. I'm hoping to hear more info next week & when I go for our employee mtg on the 15th. An uptown stadium would be nice, it would cut my commute in half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM

226 posts, read 693,426 times
Not sure if it's true or not, but I work in a building overlooking the proposed location and my coworker told me that the building project is caught up in litigation from some guy who wants a major league team to get the space.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM

189 posts, read 333,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
Not sure if it's true or not, but I work in a building overlooking the proposed location and my coworker told me that the building project is caught up in litigation from some guy who wants a major league team to get the space.
Jerry Reese's last lawsuit ended during the summer of 2011 I believe. The Knights posted signs around the lot the stadium is planning to use. However they are requesting government assistance which has turned a lot of once supporters against the project ala TWC Arena and the Hall of Fame.

I get where those against government help come from but I would love to see a ballpark in that area. It would be right next to Bearden Park which will have a plaza that is baseball themed as it gets closer to the park (bottom left):

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215888_157812684277991_157656420960284_331108_4296 617_n.jpg (broken link)

Not to mention these parking lots are desolate outside of Panther's tailgating. With a new 15 story apartment complex going next to the Catalyst, these projects could spark development in a pretty boring part of Uptown (minus the French Quarter area).

Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM

78 posts, read 125,003 times
Interesting info. Sounds almost like (but not nearly as bad) my hometown of Richmond, VA. I'm sure Knights fans might remember the Richmond Braves? Well, they packed up and moved because the city of Richmond could not come to terms on a plan for a new stadium. And years later and now a AA baseball club playing and the former R-Braves home, they still have the same exact ongoing issue. The Atlanta Braves grew tired of it and moved the team to GA. I'm hoping nothing as serious is going on with the Knights. I know it takes a lot of money for any team to build a brand new stadium. But it would be nice to think about the fans for once in the process. Just a round about kinda idea. I would love to see a new stadium in downtown Charlotte. Or should I say "Uptown"? haha.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM

78 posts, read 125,003 times
Oh something I forgot to ask. Are there any renderings of the new stadium proposal?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM

189 posts, read 333,734 times
The only image I've ever seen is a view from behind home plate and not too much about the stadium itself.

http://media.heraldonline.com/smedia/2012/03/01/23/37/1hMI9K.St.6.jpg (broken link)

I have my fingers crossed it is as nice as the Columbus Clippers new stadium. Both are or proposed to be 10k seating and cost around $50-60 million.

Here is Huntington Park : http://www.ballparkreviews.com/template2.php?in_name=Huntington%20Park&in_city=Co lumbus&in_state=Ohio

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Is the current stadium dilapidated or something? Or is it in good shape and they just want to move? Because if there is nothing wrong with the stadium, simply building a new one for the sale reason of location is a waste of money.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Needs more seating capacity so we might eventually see major leagues here. If you're going to spend the money to bring baseball into downtown, build it with the future in mind. If a major league team is not even considered, there is no use in building a new stadium. Especially with the way Charlotte screwed itself out of a Final Four with the arena. But it has luxury boxes. Whatever.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Is the current stadium dilapidated or something? Or is it in good shape and they just want to move? Because if there is nothing wrong with the stadium, simply building a new one for the sale reason of location is a waste of money.
It depends on your definition of dilapidated....

Knights Castle is roughly 20 yrs old I believe. Its a nice ballpark to watch a minor league game.

We can argue if its a waste of money to build a new stadium. Location is the biggest factor. Many people don't go to games simply because of its location (Fort Mill). For those that live close to the field, its not a big deal, but to those who live out to the east or North of Charlotte, its a much bigger deal.

Also, its a much different experience (IMO) watching a game in Ft Mill vs. watching one right in Downtown w/all the landscape in the background....I hope no one takes offense to that, but there's alot of truth to it.

You may disagree and that's fine, but I'm just giving you the other side of the argument about the venue...

Also, the Knights have had the worst attendance in their league now for years......

Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
It depends on your definition of dilapidated....

Knights Castle is roughly 20 yrs old I believe. Its a nice ballpark to watch a minor league game.

We can argue if its a waste of money to build a new stadium. Location is the biggest factor. Many people don't go to games simply because of its location (Fort Mill). For those that live close to the field, its not a big deal, but to those who live out to the east or North of Charlotte, its a much bigger deal.

Also, its a much different experience (IMO) watching a game in Ft Mill vs. watching one right in Downtown w/all the landscape in the background....I hope no one takes offense to that, but there's alot of truth to it.

You may disagree and that's fine, but I'm just giving you the other side of the argument about the venue...

Also, the Knights have had the worst attendance in their league now for years......
I agree, but you may have hurt the feelings of the guy who owns that lone house past the outfield of the current stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte