Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 03:28 PM

38 posts, read 129,659 times

Advertisements

Bumping up my old thread to say that now my move to Charlotte is a reality. I won't have to move until May and won't be able to make another in-person trip until at least February.

My budget would be up to $125k depending on if the property has a monthly HOA fee or not.

My two questions at this point would be...
-Which areas should I be looking at (location of the job is still the same: not too far from the airport Tyvola Rd/Billy Graham Pkwy)?
-What are the best websites to search for houses as well as apartments? I know it can vary by city.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 04:55 PM

152 posts, read 194,168 times
Look into condos at Rennaissance on Carmel or at Falconbridge. They'll be well within your budget and are very convenient to Ballantyne and SouthPark. You may be able to eke out a single family home in those immediate neighborhoods too, but it'll be a fixer-upper. You will probably find things closer to the airport, but these are safe, pretty close, and they're what I know. It's not my favorite for home buying, but if you are looking for things for rent and for sale, then I'd suggest carolinahome.com.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:28 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,790,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan08 View Post
Bumping up my old thread to say that now my move to Charlotte is a reality. I won't have to move until May and won't be able to make another in-person trip until at least February.

My budget would be up to $125k depending on if the property has a monthly HOA fee or not.

My two questions at this point would be...
-Which areas should I be looking at (location of the job is still the same: not too far from the airport Tyvola Rd/Billy Graham Pkwy)?
-What are the best websites to search for houses as well as apartments? I know it can vary by city.
Thanks!
I used realtor. com & yahoo real estate.

Look, primarily in Gaston County. Avoid the NW corner of Gastonia. Ask us plenty of questions. Your search might bring up Kings Mountain as it is in both Gaston & Cleveland counties.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll concentrate for now on 28226 and 28277 zip codes.

Last edited by volsfan08; 11-15-2014 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Wrong digits

Old 11-16-2014, 09:28 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,864,242 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll concentrate for now on 28226 and 28277 zip codes.
You won't find a house in the 28277 zip code but there are townhouses and condos in your price range. For best resale values, try to get a 2 bedroom minimum. Most schools in this zip are good.

There are 5 homes for sale in your price range in 28226, but check the schools if you are concerned with resale. It's hit or miss in that zip.

Both are nice areas, I live in one of them.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
There are 5 homes for sale in your price range in 28226, but check the schools if you are concerned with resale. It's hit or miss in that zip.
Thanks for the advice. What's the best website to check on school districts and ratings?

Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. What's the best website to check on school districts and ratings?
Check out: CarolinaHome.com | Home Page for the official MLS listings. Then check this link for what schools are zoned for the address: GeoPortal

Then you can use various sites for ratings but they are subjective. School Digger, Great Schools etc.

Good luck in your search!

Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,605,070 times
Realtor.com when you look at the home there is a tab for schools/neighborhood and it shows the schools the the home is zoned for, it also gives the grade and has a link for information on the school.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Realtor.com when you look at the home there is a tab for schools/neighborhood and it shows the schools the the home is zoned for, it also gives the grade and has a link for information on the school.
Those aren't accurate. I had issues with them when I was searching for homes. I would depend on the GIS link provided upthread to be sure of the right school.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,605,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Those aren't accurate. I had issues with them when I was searching for homes. I would depend on the GIS link provided upthread to be sure of the right school.
Thanks, I thought their links to greatschools was solid. I will take a look at the link provided earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte