Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,833,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Thanks, I thought their links to greatschools was solid. I will take a look at the link provided earlier.
The link to greatschools is probably fine, I meant the school itself being assigned to the real estate listing/home was incorrect many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,600,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The link to greatschools is probably fine, I meant the school itself being assigned to the real estate listing/home was incorrect many times.
Oh, yeah they are a lot of times. When my house was on the market they had my house listed as Vance. Only reason I found out it because we had a person who wanted to offer but wouldn't because of the school. I had my agent amend that and contact the buyer because the home was zoned for Mallard Creek.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:41 PM

140 posts, read 170,111 times
as for sites, what about zillow and trulia?

as for location, have you checked ayrsley or steele creek area? (close to lake wylie). the section of 485 between 77s and 85s tends to have less congestion on average.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,976,684 times
Don't forget to look and see what's in foreclosure.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:54 PM

38 posts, read 129,356 times
Well, so far my company has set me up with a realtor, who in turn has met set up on an automatic listing search. Most of the listings that meet my criteria are in the area surrounded by 485, 85, and 77 -- the northwest quadrant of Charlotte, so to say.

What kind of commute can I expect to my job (Tyvola Rd/Billy Graham Pkwy)? The listings are within 10 miles, but I'm wondering how that will translate into time. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:12 PM

444 posts, read 582,732 times
Default wow

rent before buying!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 PM

38 posts, read 129,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
rent before buying!
I've thought about it, but it seems like I'll get so much more value for my money by buying. Most of the apartments in my price range look pretty bleak and are definitely one bedroom. Houses for rent so far are even worse.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan08 View Post
Well, so far my company has set me up with a realtor, who in turn has met set up on an automatic listing search. Most of the listings that meet my criteria are in the area surrounded by 485, 85, and 77 -- the northwest quadrant of Charlotte, so to say.

What kind of commute can I expect to my job (Tyvola Rd/Billy Graham Pkwy)? The listings are within 10 miles, but I'm wondering how that will translate into time. Thanks!
That'd probably be a decent area given your criteria (you said you didn't need schools, right?). 28214 and 28216 I believe? Although you may want to stay closer to 485 or maybe even outside of it - little safer and a commute would be pretty easy via 485. Probably 25 minutes or so from the Brookshire Blvd exit off 485.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:19 AM

444 posts, read 582,732 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan08 View Post
I've thought about it, but it seems like I'll get so much more value for my money by buying. Most of the apartments in my price range look pretty bleak and are definitely one bedroom. Houses for rent so far are even worse.
although charlotte looks fancy and new it is a very noisy city. I found it very tough getting far enough away from train tracks where you will hear the train horn. If it is not the train horn you will most likely be located under the airport flight paths (especially west of the city). The other issue you should consider is the commute. I have seen 500K neighborhoods in Steele Creek where the only road in and out has no light to enter the main road...and the highway requires a left turn...so you are inevitably stuck leaving your neighborhood in the AM. Also, people cannot drive in Charlotte so you need to be sure that you have the tolerance to deal with the traffic patterns. I can afford 3x what you are paying and had a tough time finding a place. If you can afford a 100K house at these interest rates, your payment on FHA will most likely be around 500/mo. I don't blame you...but you won't be getting much in return unless you are out in Shelby/Gastonia. With that being said, I do not know where you are originally from but those areas are quite local and red, and more often rundown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte