Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times

Advertisements

Child abductions by strangers are actually extremely rare but are hyped in the media when they occur. I'm not too worried about that, however I think election day should be a holiday so that voting is easier for people who work. I'm sure there are many who do not vote because they do not have time. In other countries, voting is often on a Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
A will doesn't even need to be notarized. Good idea though. I'm walking my way through software that costs about $30 and includes all the documents you could want.

I learned in my State Notary class that it is best practice. That is why I always recommend having these types of things notarized.

You are right, the software is inexpensive and if one doesn't have a few beans, then just do some research online and develop your own documents.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 AM

504 posts, read 800,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
This was my first time voting in North Carolina and I was really impressed with the voting machines here. Waited till the last minute to look for my Registration Card and it listed the precient and where I was supposed to vote. The machines here were a great welcome compared to the "mail in your ballot" in Oregon and punch cards used in Arizona, ways in which I voted in the past. I grew up in blue collar Pittsburgh and have voted as soon as I became of age. I enjoy going to the polls to vote, and feel it's an honor, knowing people died so we could vote. As far as Amendment One, I think so many people have blinders on and do not realize times are a changing. We are no longer back in the 60's when it was illegal for blacks and whites to marry. I am in my mid-50's and feel I am an open-minded person. One thing we all have in common is we all want to be happy. When I moved to Portland, Oregon, which has a huge gay population, my Grandson's best friend in pre-school had two Mommies. I'll admit at first it was a little odd for me since I have never encountered this situation before. I learned the two Mommies were no different than anyone else and who would be so cruel to hurt their beautiful children because you do not agree with their relationship. The children would suffer, losing health insurance and other benefits because of their parents relationship. Also, my daughter worked with a woman who's partner had MS. They have been together for decades and I feel their union should be called a marriage so they could receive all the benefits everyone else gets. It only takes me to meet someone and learn their story that I find out about their lives. We all want happiness in our lives and they want the same and the same for their children. I don't understand with so many people in this state that go to church every Sunday and call themselves Christians, why they would judge someone else and not want gays and their families to have equal rights. Are these the same people that feel that blacks should give up their seats on the bus? One other thing I'd like to say about the voting process here that worries me. When I went to school, our schools were always closed on election day. I voted at Hawk Ridge Elementary and their were so many people in and out of the school and no one checking to see who was coming in for voting and who was there for school business. It was a huge safety RED FLAG to me. In these times with so many children being abducted, someone at that school should have been monitoring people as they entered the building. Children were everywhere in the halls and one could have easily been taken from the school. I couldn't help think of Kyron Horman in Portland, OR, who was taken from his school on the day the Science Fair took place. So many people there, no one saw what happened to him because they had so many visitors in the school for the Science Fair and too much confusion. This could have easily happened to one of the students at Hawk Ridge. I feel if they need the schools for election day, this should be a day off for students. Too many children are going missing and I could see how this could happen here. Sorry to go off the subject, but wanted to share my first election experience here and what I thought.
Religion should have nothing to do with it. I'm proud to live in a country where I'm free to practice my religion without someone else imposing their religion on me.

To me it is not about a choice, it’s about a fundamental right and the 14th Amendment is very clear. It says, ‘equal protections under the law’ and right now in America we have second-class citizenship set-up where certain Americans can have privileges that certain Americans do not enjoy and that is just wrong. Voting on equal rights is wrong, it does not belong on a ballot.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
When they make voting on a saturday or make it a national holiday, then I may change my mind. In the year 2012, can't we vote on the internet?

There's a reason they make voting so complicated - they don't want educated, working people to vote.

This cannot be a serious comment.
The polls are open from 6:30am - 7:30pm.
If you are unable to vote on the established day, they make it very simple to vote via absentee ballot.

Starting at about age 4, I took my children every year first thing in the morning when the polls opened, stressing how important it is to take the small effort and vote.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

You are right, the software is inexpensive and if one doesn't have a few beans, then just do some research online and develop your own documents.
but then what would there be left to complain about? I can't believe somebody worried about being able to make life saving decisions for someone they love wouldn't just print out a document off the web and get it notarized, just so they can be a martyr for their cause. I hope and suspect that the reality is different than the intended perception.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

This cannot be a serious comment.
The polls are open from 6:30am - 7:30pm.
If you are unable to vote on the established day, they make it very simple to vote via absentee ballot.

Starting at about age 4, I took my children every year first thing in the morning when the polls opened, stressing how important it is to take the small effort and vote.
I still think voting on a Saturday would make it much easier.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I still think voting on a Saturday would make it much easier.
The point is, you CAN vote on a Saturday!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
The point is, you CAN vote on a Saturday!
I'm talking about moving from Tuesday to Saturday. It would definitely increase turnout IMO.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 AM

504 posts, read 800,632 times
We vote on Tuesday because of a law passed in 1845 meant to make voting convenient for Americans traveling by horse and buggy. Seriously. When Congress set out to pick a day for Americans to vote, ultimately settling on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November, voting could take two days: a day to get to the county seat to vote and a day to get back for market day on Wednesday. They couldn't travel on the Christian sabbath, so by process of elimination, Tuesday, the first convenient day of the week, was chosen. It was as simple as that.

We vote on Tuesday for absolutely no good reason. This is true especially when you consider the United States, arguably the world's most famous democracy, has ranked near the bottom of all nations in voter participation for more than half a century.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm talking about moving from Tuesday to Saturday. It would definitely increase turnout IMO.
What more do you want you can start voting a month in advance you can mail in your ballot if you need too, and the places are open on saturday for early voting.

If you had it on saturday, or sunday you would still have people like the OP that would put it off, forget, or go out and party so much and be hungover they wouldn't be able to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte