Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:51 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,787,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetruthTeller View Post
I have to tell you the truth. Ballantyne/Providence road area is the epitome of suburban sprawl. These house moms don't realize it. If you want really walkable and not just "in theory", you need to move to plaza midwood, noda, dilworth, or south end. The only walkable suburban town is Davidson. The rest of charlotte is mostly comprised of sprawl. From one urban enthusiast to another do not fall for the Ballantyne is walkable bit. It's a twenty year old overgrown office park on the edge of south carolina.

Belmont is very walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,033,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Belmont is very walkable.
This is true. And I don't guess the commute to Ballantyne would be too bad from there. Wife and I stumbled on Belmont for the first time last week. Was surprised to see an active downtown at 8 on a Tuesday with many open shops and restaurants and a nice park. I imagine, however, that it is a very conservative place as we saw way too many vote for the amendment signs there. All three of the Belmont precincts voted solidly for the amendment.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
This is true. And I don't guess the commute to Ballantyne would be too bad from there. Wife and I stumbled on Belmont for the first time last week. Was surprised to see an active downtown at 8 on a Tuesday with many open shops and restaurants and a nice park. I imagine, however, that it is a very conservative place as we saw way too many vote for the amendment signs there. All three of the Belmont precincts voted solidly for the amendment.
I can't explain the rift in logic with that amendment. It passed by a horrifying percentage in Cleveland County. What I do know is that in normal, day to day life, I have no problems in Gaston or Cleveland, & that's what counts. I don't go to rural areas, though. I'm not foolish.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I can't explain the rift in logic with that amendment. It passed by a horrifying percentage in Cleveland County. What I do know is that in normal, day to day life, I have no problems in Gaston or Cleveland, & that's what counts. I don't go to rural areas, though. I'm not foolish.
Yes. In my limited experience, the people in Gastonia and Lincolnton have all been exceedingly nice. Though I have never stopped in a rural area out there.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Yes. In my limited experience, the people in Gastonia and Lincolnton have all been exceedingly nice.
Lincolnton is Lincoln County. I tried looking in that area & did not get a good reception. Kings Mountain is pretty much an extension of Gastonia. People are great. People have been nice when I venture to Shelby. However, my accent is Midwestern overlaid with MidAtlantic. They have no clue where I'm from.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Lincolnton is Lincoln County. I tried looking in that area & did not get a good reception. Kings Mountain is pretty much an extension of Gastonia. People are great. People have been nice when I venture to Shelby. However, my accent is Midwestern overlaid with MidAtlantic. They have no clue where I'm from.
Ah. I've only been to downtown Lincolnton there, and only a few times.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Ah. I've only been to downtown Lincolnton there, and only a few times.
I was just outside of downtown, had been looking for a property & got turned around. I went into a store & asked, politely, for directions. The female native didn't say a word & pointed to a man who was busy. The man was from Shelby & he gave me directions & apologized for her. He said that she didn't talk to him if she didn't have to. He wasn't local enough for her.

That isn't my only experience there, but it made my mind up.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I was just outside of downtown, had been looking for a property & got turned around. I went into a store & asked, politely, for directions. The female native didn't say a word & pointed to a man who was busy. The man was from Shelby & he gave me directions & apologized for her. He said that she didn't talk to him if she didn't have to. He wasn't local enough for her.

That isn't my only experience there, but it made my mind up.
hilarious!

Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
hilarious!
It was, after the fact. She wasn''t doing a blessed thing. I know that not everyone in Lincolnton is like that, but I wasn't about to have to figure out what stores I could go in.

Belmont would be no problem at all for the OP.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,294 times
Thank you so much for the additional info. I should clarify that we have two cars. Walkability is just a personal preference. My little one likes to take walks in her stroller and I like having a destination in mind.

Belmont does seem interesting. However, my husband has since clarified to me that he'd prefer to live closer to work. We are now focusing on the area south of 277. He is looking at Starmount, but it seems to have much less of the walkable Main Street feel that I am looking for. I'm not really interested in walking to a gas station or car dealership with my toddler!

That story is crazy! I will have to get used to people like that woman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte