Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Sylbeth, I agree with everything you say in theory. That is a great statement and part of me believes that the absolute best thing any of us could do is ignore this nutjob; and believe me I am very sincere in saying that everything you said makes perfect sense.

I think, for me, the reason why I can't let it go and probably why a lot of other people can't as well, especially the Christians who are opposed to it, is because we know that by saying things like this he does get a spotlight shown on him, and the media will cover it. And people who are either non-christian, or maybe are insecure in their religion, or unsure if God does hate them because of who they are, are pushed farther over that fence and away from God. I think it is important to show that as much hate as their is in the world, and sadly as much as people seem to misunderstand or misquote things from the Bible to try to show hatred towards others, that there is that much more love, tolerance and acceptance.

What?
What this guy said was ridiculous, no need to add drama and adjectives to it. And God will deal with him when the time comes.

But do not accuse others of misquoting the bible in that God is ok with this type of behavior, he is not. He abhors sin and homosexuality is sin. We are to be like Christ.....love the sinner, hate the sin.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
What?
What this guy said was ridiculous, no need to add drama and adjectives to it. And God will deal with him when the time comes.

But do not accuse others of misquoting the bible in that God is ok with this type of behavior, he is not. He abhors sin and homosexuality is sin. We are to be like Christ.....love the sinner, hate the sin.
You seem to be assuming that your take (or your pastor's or religion's take) is the One Right Way to interpret the Bible. I know many gay Christian people, who love the lord with all their heart - AND love their gay partners, AND know they are loved by Christ, and don't believe their sexuality is a sin. They are NOT wrong. They have read the Bible, studied the Bible, prayed about it, talked to their minister about it, and this is THEIR truth (which they would also call God's truth) living in their own hearts.

Which "Bible" are you talking about? King James? Revised Standard? American Standard? Common English? Geneva? Message? New Jerusalem? New International? Aramaic Bible in Plain English? Do you know that "The Bible's" words were changed and books were removed and the order of the books changed, numerous times?

It is fine if YOU choose not to believe as my friends do, but no one has the right to insist that their ONE interpretation of the Bible should be the basis of legislation in our country. I am confounded by people who can't see this type of law-making CAN lead to a country similar to Muslim countries, where normal people's lives are limited and controlled because of religious law. It seems you would be fine with that if it was your version of Christianity's law, and I am flabbergasted by that.

Thank *God* we have separation of church and state written into our Constitution. I believe that will be the basis of successful challenge of these hateful laws.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Residents are upset that the protest was allowed to happen without going through the county process in the video, Im not sure why it would be county issue and not the city of Maiden.
As one person stated it was because it was a gathering of citizens and not a group.
It funny watching a guy complaining about it was seen holding a sign and was a part of the anti-protest. => Residents upset after county bends rules for pastor protestors | www.wsoctv.com

The only thing that ever makes news for Maiden is there football team so the area and Catawba County needs to rewrite there books to handle spur of moment reasons to protest in today's world

Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I think, for me, the reason why I can't let it go and probably why a lot of other people can't as well, especially the Christians who are opposed to it, is because we know that by saying things like this he does get a spotlight shown on him, and the media will cover it. And people who are either non-christian, or maybe are insecure in their religion, or unsure if God does hate them because of who they are, are pushed farther over that fence and away from God. I think it is important to show that as much hate as their is in the world, and sadly as much as people seem to misunderstand or misquote things from the Bible to try to show hatred towards others, that there is that much more love, tolerance and acceptance.
I can't "let it go" because this person was saying that friends of mine, family members of mine, people I love and care for deeply, should be quarantined by electric fences, and treated as less than human because of who they love. Preposterous.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
You seem to be assuming that your take (or your pastor's or religion's take) is the One Right Way to interpret the Bible. I know many gay Christian people, who love the lord with all their heart - AND love their gay partners, AND know they are loved by Christ, and don't believe their sexuality is a sin. They are NOT wrong. They have read the Bible, studied the Bible, prayed about it, talked to their minister about it, and this is THEIR truth (which they would also call God's truth) living in their own hearts.

Which "Bible" are you talking about? King James? Revised Standard? American Standard? Common English? Geneva? Message? New Jerusalem? New International? Aramaic Bible in Plain English? Do you know that "The Bible's" words were changed and books were removed and the order of the books changed, numerous times?

It is fine if YOU choose not to believe as my friends do, but no one has the right to insist that their ONE interpretation of the Bible should be the basis of legislation in our country. I am confounded by people who can't see this type of law-making CAN lead to a country similar to Muslim countries, where normal people's lives are limited and controlled because of religious law. It seems you would be fine with that if it was your version of Christianity's law, and I am flabbergasted by that.

Thank *God* we have separation of church and state written into our Constitution. I believe that will be the basis of successful challenge of these hateful laws.
This! 1000 Times THIS!

Here is a video where Rev Welton Gaddy rebukes, not only Worley (while disscussing the damage that his words can potentially do) but also rebukes the idea of people cherry picking certain passages and then attempting to pass judgement on them. The whole video is a story about the sleazebag Worley, so if you want to skip to the 3 minute mark that is where Rev Gaddy is asked how he feels about what is written in the Bible.

Baptist Pastor rebukes anti-gay sermon - YouTube

Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM

403 posts, read 878,129 times
CharlotteGal......."You can let it go"...... concerning what this so called "Pastor" (?) had to say...because you are wasting your time and thoughts for this foolish person. He is driving those that would come to his or other churches...away from religion. I have always thought that churches were like hospitals....they are suppose to be good for the soul. When they cease to be.....then there should be a journey to find one that will be right for you...and your friends. This "nutjob" doesn't deserve the time of day....much less a whole thread devoted to him and his foolishness. My bet is he may have attended college or a seminary....but just got by....by the skin of his teeth. I don't think they can teach character, love, compassion and acceptance....to a person that is close minded to the needs of his sheep. He forgot one important thing.....people are the "church"....and when the flock moves on.....he will be a has been..that was only important in his own mind!!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM

What you do not have a grasp on, is that the word God is not about interpretation. He said what he said, he meant what he said and he at no time revoked it. The books of Levticus, Romans and Genesis (for starters) all dictate by God's words and laws on this matter, that it is wrong. No amount of fussing, stomping of feet or protesting or writing on a message board is going to change that. If you or anyone else feels so brave as to challenge God, then have it. Those that do will have to answer for that..no matter the sin.

And let me remind you...while you stand here and talk ugly of this preacher, which IS a sin by the way.....this same preacher rebukes the lifestyle while others you mention support it. BOTH need to get back to God's word and see what he says and remove the personal emotion from it. Afterall, this is all about human emotion and human preference/choice(s) and nothing to do with God. If it were about God, NONE of this would be happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post

Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
What you do not have a grasp on, is that the word God is not about interpretation.
Since the words Gay and Homosexual don't appear in the Bible, then every passage that is cited to apply to them is an "interpretation".

Old 05-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Since the words Gay and Homosexual don't appear in the Bible, then every passage that is cited to apply to them is an "interpretation".

Nice try, but no cigar.

This type of thinking is the same as the new math the schools are teaching....none of it is logical and none of it adds up.

Last edited by sundrop; 05-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,238 times
Chrome, did you watch the video I posted? I'd be curious about your thoughts on what Rev Gaddy says about people taking one or two verses out of context?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte