Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,333 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently in an extended stay in Concord, NC. We've been here for a bit, and we are trying to find housing here in NC. The problem is this - we are without a car right now (working to fix that in the coming weeks), and we have two young children.

I'm looking for somewhere safe for my kids. Right now, we're finding some really inexpensive stuff for rent in Rowan County, listed in the Salisbury and Kannapolis areas. Are these safe? I've seen some serious horror stories coming out of the Charlotte area, so we do not want to live there. I homeschool, so the school district isn't an issue. I just want somewhere safe without the major gang problems I keep hearing about.

I was born in Elizabeth City, but was away from the state so long I just don't know where to turn now. I want that old-school southern environment, where everybody knows everybody and you can let your kids outside in the yard without being afraid.

Help?!? I would really appreciate any feedback....Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Salisbury & Kannapolis are both safe nice cities, besides your typical petty crime that occur in any city.

If your not going to have a car I would choose Knnapolis due to buses take you to more shopping options like the ton of shopping centers around Concord Mills Mall.

I do not have neighborhood recommendations but also consider Concord there is apartments if you go that route by the mall.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Check out this mom's board - CentralPiedmontMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community. There are quite a few mom's that live in Rowan County and can tell you the safe areas and about the schools.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I will definitely check out the mom's board. We will have a car before we move. The mention of the lack of car was more in reference to the fact that we are unable to "drive around" and check things out, which is why I was looking for some information on safer areas and the best places for kids.

Thanks again...this is definitely helpful!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM

160 posts, read 300,986 times
I wouldn't completely rule out Charlotte (a large city with over 700,000 people) because a few people didn't like it. It is a city with some awesome neighborhoods and some not-so-good ones. In your husband working in Concord?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM

No, he isn't. He's a freelance photographer and photojournalist, so he can work wherever we are. I work from home, so our work isn't a restriction.

We actually lived in Charlotte for a while. Much of our family in the area lives in Charlotte. Our opinion about it has nothing to do with "a few people didn't like it" as much as it has to do with the fact that there's so much crime in that city. We've seen it first hand. I read the news. I see what is going on day in and day out. I know how many times we were accosted by someone trying to scam money, how many shootings and break-ins have happened. In fact, when we stayed with his sister in Bradford Farms, we had some guy try to break in. I have young children, that's NOT the environment I want them to grow up in.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM

207 posts, read 445,494 times
I spend alot of time driving around in Salisbury (i do home care there) and while there may be less crime and most areas are nice, honestly there are some areas that I would not feel comfortable or safe living in. Even Concord where I live has some areas like that as well. So check out the surrounding area when you look at rentals. Some places may look good, but a few streets over may be completely different.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
I'm familiar with the majority of Rowan county. If you are looking in specific areas, feel free to send me a PM.
My biggest advice is to stay away from East Spencer and the majority of Spencer.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I'd also look into Stanly County adjacent to Rowan County. Albemarle is the County Seat. Small town charm, nice people, and low cost housing.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Thank you everybody! We are starting to look a little more heavily now, and I will see what we find. I really appreciate all of the input. You guys have really helped us clear some things up. AeroGuyDC - we've heard a lot of good things about Albemarle. I'll have to check that out, too. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte