Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,444,132 times

Advertisements

Portofino's is pretty good...probably not the best, but better than most. They have 3 locations but the one in Ayrsley is the best imo. Fratelli's in Baxter Village has some pretty darn good pie, but haven't had the pasta yet.

Mio Post on Hwy 51 not far from Carolina Place Mall is also good. Both these places are owned and operated by Italian families, unlike many Italian restaurants in Charlotte which are Greek-owned or are franchised/chain restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 AM

185 posts, read 583,797 times
Thumbs up Angela's Restaurant !

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Portofino's is pretty good...probably not the best, but better than most. They have 3 locations but the one in Ayrsley is the best imo. Fratelli's in Baxter Village has some pretty darn good pie, but haven't had the pasta yet.

Mio Post on Hwy 51 not far from Carolina Place Mall is also good. Both these places are owned and operated by Italian families, unlike many Italian restaurants in Charlotte which are Greek-owned or are franchised/chain restaurants.
I actually asked the owner of Angela's if they are related to Portofino's.They are very similar but IMO I like Angela's sauce better.
Found out, they are not related but they come from the same town in Naples Italy, so I think I like this region of Italy's cuisine best. (Also they both moved from Jersey) I agree Ayrsley location is the best IMO also for Portofino's and the only one with a brick oven for pizza.(YUM)

I think Angela's beat Mio Posto in taste and quality all around ( but now they closed down anyway)

Fontanella's :was good but again different region of Italy (Sicily)
Mama's:the pizza was just fair but entrees were less then appetizing IMO.

If you have not tried Angela's you're missing out for AUTHENTIC Italian.
Also we dine in alot, I can say we have always had GREAT service at Angela's.
Only down side is when there is a wait, they really don't have somewhere to wait except the bar (good for us as a couple, but not when we went with a big crowd)

Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,407,354 times
Where is Angela's?? we love to try new places...figuring we will find one we love..

Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobabe20 View Post
OMG!!! Finally someone who understands me. I moved to Charlotte 5 months ago and don't have any desire for pizza any more. I live literally down the block from Mamas back in LI and grew up with the owners and their kids. They have been telling me for months that their cousin opened a Mamas of Mint Hill but I was never able to find a website on them until now. I can't wait to try it and get a real taste of home, especially since the ingrediants are all shipped from LI. ( I hope the water is too. That makes all the difference. I miss our dirty NY water.) Makes everything taste soooo good.
PSSSSSSST, it has nothing to do with the water !
That cracks me up , I remember growing up in Jersey and when all else failed
some pizzeria's would suddenly change name and actually advertise as WE SHIP OUR WATER FROM NEW YORK ,and the pizza was the same tasteless chewy crust pizza .
Meanwhile right down the street, "Joey boom botz" had the BEST pizza! with "just Jersey water". If they know what they are doing and can make the dough right and use quality ingredients, you'll love the pizza.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post

I am especially interested in veal dishes . . . Portofino's for good veal????
Any opinions?

Last edited by brokensky; 01-03-2008 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: correct punctuation

Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
I actually asked the owner of Angela's if they are related to Portofino's.They are very similar but IMO I like Angela's sauce better.
Found out, they are not related but they come from the same town in Naples Italy, so I think I like this region of Italy's cuisine best. (Also they both moved from Jersey) I agree Ayrsley location is the best IMO also for Portofino's and the only one with a brick oven for pizza.(YUM)

I think Angela's beat Mio Posto in taste and quality all around ( but now they closed down anyway)

Fontanella's :was good but again different region of Italy (Sicily)
Mama's:the pizza was just fair but entrees were less then appetizing IMO.

If you have not tried Angela's you're missing out for AUTHENTIC Italian.
Also we dine in alot, I can say we have always had GREAT service at Angela's.
Only down side is when there is a wait, they really don't have somewhere to wait except the bar (good for us as a couple, but not when we went with a big crowd)
Yes, where is Angela's? Fontanella's - good sauce?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,668,718 times
Anyone have anything on the new "Positano Osteria" that recently opened in Birkdale (at the site of the former Pike's Soda Shop)?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,746,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Where is Angela's?? we love to try new places...figuring we will find one we love..
near the corner of Margaret Wallace and Idewild....close to the Mint Hill/Charlotte border....

Old 01-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Berry I can't find a website. I know they have only been open about a year.
They are on corner of Margret Wallace and Idlewild. New Harris Teeter shopping center. Matthews ,Mint Hill ,Charlotte city limits.
704-573-2737

Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Anyone have anything on the new "Positano Osteria" that recently opened in Birkdale (at the site of the former Pike's Soda Shop)?
not yet, But I believe it's the same owner as IL Posto Ristorante in Phillips Place South Park which is very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte