Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 PM

245 posts, read 882,567 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Observer | Living Here (http://www.charlotte.com/livinghere/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM

92 posts, read 318,475 times
Article quote "Our New South City is a place where you can dance to the latest remixes from the New York clubs but you can't find Johnny Cash on the radio"

You old South residents better never let it get to the point the reporter says it is. I personally moved here because you held alot of good values and traditions that I wanted my family to have
___
I was at a farmers market stand and and old gal asked me "how do you like it down here"

I told her I'd love it even more if folks would quit calling me yankee..

She said "Well, where are ya from?"

"Virginia" I said...

And she said "Well, you ain't no yankee, you're what we like to call a Northern Rebel."

Yes, yes I am.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM

92 posts, read 318,475 times
Default That's it...

I reread Tommy Tomlinsons piece about Charlotte being for newcomers..

ie: there are more bagel joints than barbecue available....

ie: dance music, no Johnny Cash

ie: assuming people need condos at the track like we can't sit in the grandstands.

Sure Charlotte is a mix but this guy is off his rocker. News articles like this are meant to slowly change people not report what has changed.

I'm writing this guy....I might just find him and smack him upside the back of his head.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 AM

620 posts, read 2,123,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post
Article quote "Our New South City is a place where you can dance to the latest remixes from the New York clubs but you can't find Johnny Cash on the radio"

You old South residents better never let it get to the point the reporter says it is. I personally moved here because you held alot of good values and traditions that I wanted my family to have
___
I was at a farmers market stand and and old gal asked me "how do you like it down here"

I told her I'd love it even more if folks would quit calling me yankee..

She said "Well, where are ya from?"

"Virginia" I said...

And she said "Well, you ain't no yankee, you're what we like to call a Northern Rebel."

Yes, yes I am.
GET OVER IT.

If you want Old South move to Alabama.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,955,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
GET OVER IT.

If you want Old South move to Alabama.
There's that amazing attitude that so endears you New Yorkers to us, NOT!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 AM

241 posts, read 757,210 times
Wow, the landscape of Charlotte is REALLY changing. I find alot of this information very promising for the future of our city. We just need to be a little more proactive in regards to getting the infrastructure in place to handle this awesome growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjdaniels View Post
Charlotte Observer | Living Here (http://www.charlotte.com/livinghere/ - broken link)

Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM

245 posts, read 268,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I agree 100% bless his heart!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would like to know why the fact of having dance clubs is such a big issue?

By the way, yes I am from NY, but I moved to Charlotte when I was 6. I grew up here. One thing I would love to know, why do so many people think Southerners are born with halo's around their heads? Sorry, but I am going to express how I feel and not put on some fake smile. Not my fault you can't grow some kahunas and can't handle it...

I see nothing wrong with diversity - there are dance clubs (oh NO! Forbidden! Especially if they play "NY dance music" whatever that is!), bagel stores, and deli's but there are also plenty of BBQ restaurants and 700 churches here still! It is changing but at the same time it is still retaining what it always had in the first place. People move here and think this is a small, charming southern town but it isn't. It is a city (a fast-growing city at that which means it is always changing) and a city is a mix of different people. If you want Old South, I wouldn't recommend moving here.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
I agree 100% bless his heart!
What is the difference between bless your heart and **** you? Absolutely nothing.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:08 AM

245 posts, read 268,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
What is the difference between bless your heart and **** you? Absolutely nothing.

So you are a southerner then

Just checkin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte