Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,089 times

Advertisements

Hello!

After numerous visits and anxiously awaiting acceptance to grad school at UNCC, I am finally moving to Charlotte! I am so excited and ready to explore the city, which I have definitely come to love. I have the very basic arrangements set, but I do have a few more tasks to accomplish before I'm completely "settled".

I'll be living off of Monroe Road in a townhouse community near the intersection of Monroe and Sharon Amity. Do any of you have any recommendations for restaurants, shopping, etc. within that area? I'm also looking for a CHEAP gym within about 10 minutes of my place. I'd rather not drive 20-30 minutes to some places if I can avoid it. Also, how is the commute from this area to UNCC? I'll be attending at night in case that makes a difference.

I am also very interested in the Whitewater Center and possibly purchasing a pass. Any recommendations on whether I should buy a single pass each time or is the year pass worth it?

I am so excited to start my new life in Charlotte and to participate in this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,295,337 times
Your best shopping area will be Cotswold at the Corner of Sharon Amity and Randolph. Not sure about a fitness center. If you are a UNCC student, can't you use the university center at no charge? There is a fitness center at the Barnhardt Student Activity Center with weight and cardio equipment as well as classes free to students:
We've Got Classes for Everyone! | Recreational Services | UNC Charlotte

Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 AM

196 posts, read 428,937 times
Something to keep in mind about the WWC passes is that they are only valid through the end of the calendar year (Dec 31st), regardless of when you purchase them, and the price is not pro-rated. If you plan on going more than 4 or more times +/-, it might be worth it to still but one for 2012, but it may be best to buy them one off until Jan 2013.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM

26 posts, read 52,529 times
Default We have a membership to the Y

My son goes to UNCC and he LOVES their gym, however, we do have a family pass to the YMCA. You might want to check that out. Keep in mind, your tuition covers the pass to the campus gym.. Good luck. We've been down here a year and LOVE it!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,114 times
Hey Tina2Pastina,

I am considering moving to Charlotte too! I am so glad to hear that you are so excited, finally! I am just as excited, but need to take care of a few things before it is final. I have only visited Raleigh/Durham area never Charlotte. I love what I have seen so far and I believe Charlotte will perfect adding that city feel. I will soon be taking several trips this year to Charlotte and I am struggling on where I was like to reside. I would like to ask how did you come to the terms of making the decision on where you would like to live as far as choosing the county and the area in Charlotte? Could you please shed some lite for me?

Thanks,

lgoodrich1

Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstaylor View Post
Hello!

After numerous visits and anxiously awaiting acceptance to grad school at UNCC, I am finally moving to Charlotte! I am so excited and ready to explore the city, which I have definitely come to love. I have the very basic arrangements set, but I do have a few more tasks to accomplish before I'm completely "settled".

I'll be living off of Monroe Road in a townhouse community near the intersection of Monroe and Sharon Amity. Do any of you have any recommendations for restaurants, shopping, etc. within that area? I'm also looking for a CHEAP gym within about 10 minutes of my place. I'd rather not drive 20-30 minutes to some places if I can avoid it. Also, how is the commute from this area to UNCC? I'll be attending at night in case that makes a difference.

I am also very interested in the Whitewater Center and possibly purchasing a pass. Any recommendations on whether I should buy a single pass each time or is the year pass worth it?

I am so excited to start my new life in Charlotte and to participate in this forum!
Head south on Sharon Amity to Cotswold for restaurants and nice shopping - a little past that area you'll come to South Park - the nicest mall in Charlotte.

There is also the new super Walmart on Independence a few blocks away from your new place for other shopping.

Best of luck - be aware of your surroundings and try not to walk alone on campus at night.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:22 PM

26 posts, read 52,529 times
I did alot of research on the school systems... Studied it for 3 years. I then came down and looked at some areas with my realtor (Rufus Hutchinson-Keller Williams-highly recommended), who worked with me the entire time. I narrowed down to an area up by the university(fell in love with a community up there), but when I did a sex offender search, there were 4 living in that community. I took that area off my list and fell in love with Willowmere. (on the Matthews border). The children would also go to the top rated middle and high schools. I also liked certain areas of Matthews but the schools weren't as good, and once again I did an offender research and saw too many in there. Good luck I really love it here. The homes in my community vary. Although we were approved for a much higher priced home, I chose here becasue it was affordable and it has a community club house, tennis courts and pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte