Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM

367 posts, read 1,029,720 times

Advertisements

I have finally accepted a job offer in Charlotte! I will begin work at the end of June. We currently live in Portland, Oregon and I am really happy to be coming back to the south after 10 years in the drizzle! I was in Charlotte this past weekend for my final interview and to look at new home communities. My new position is just north of 85 in the University area. Hopefully we can find something we like in Cabarrus County, but I am not counting out Union if its close to 485. I really liked the ammenities at Moss Creek, even if the lots are pretty small. We have been on a 0.125 acre lot in Portland so we are use to it. We don't get ammenities here. Visited some communities in Union County with nice trees and big lots with pools as well, but the builders I didn't care for. Eastwood and Westport I believe. The Westport folks took me through a home that was under contract due to be released in two weeks and it looked terrible. I couldn't believe all the crappy workmanship I saw! Scared me away from that community, which is too bad because it was in a beautiful area and the lots were 0.25+ acres. I believe sticking with Shea in Moss Creek may be the way we go. Can anybody recommend another community or builder in Cabarrus or near East Side 485 in Union? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM

98 posts, read 342,068 times
I can't offer any help since I won't get to Charlotte until 2 weeks from today but congratulations on the new job!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,960,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I have finally accepted a job offer in Charlotte! I will begin work at the end of June. We currently live in Portland, Oregon and I am really happy to be coming back to the south after 10 years in the drizzle! I was in Charlotte this past weekend for my final interview and to look at new home communities. My new position is just north of 85 in the University area. Hopefully we can find something we like in Cabarrus County, but I am not counting out Union if its close to 485. I really liked the ammenities at Moss Creek, even if the lots are pretty small. We have been on a 0.125 acre lot in Portland so we are use to it. We don't get ammenities here. Visited some communities in Union County with nice trees and big lots with pools as well, but the builders I didn't care for. Eastwood and Westport I believe. The Westport folks took me through a home that was under contract due to be released in two weeks and it looked terrible. I couldn't believe all the crappy workmanship I saw! Scared me away from that community, which is too bad because it was in a beautiful area and the lots were 0.25+ acres. I believe sticking with Shea in Moss Creek may be the way we go. Can anybody recommend another community or builder in Cabarrus or near East Side 485 in Union? Thanks

Yes MI has a developement in Concord. They build a nice house. Check out the Foxcroft II. Moderator cut: commercial link

Old 04-24-2007, 06:16 AM

240 posts, read 1,033,787 times
Not sure of your price range, but have you also looked at the Evergreen homes in Moss Creek? They seem to build well-constructed homes. Ryan homes also has some nice floorplans on larger lots in Moss Creek (about .33 acres), but they're also at the high price end for that community (mid to upper 300's).

Highland Creek isn't far from Moss Creek, and that's a huge community with a bunch of builders. St. Lawrence builds in there and has a good rep. DR Horton and Ryland are also there. They also have some builders at lower price points there too, so there's pretty much something for everybody

If you don't mind small lots, check out Beazer's Mountain Laurel community right at the Concord/Kannapolis border (exit 54 on I-85). Beautiful designs on the inside and out, and priced from the high 200's to the low 300's. It's an easy drive to the University area too (you'd be right off exit 54 on I-85 and would have to go to exit 45 for the university area).

Another decent community in the area is Ryland's Cannon Crossing. You can buy in there from the high 200's to low 300's, and lots are about .25 acres. Only issue there is that a shopping center is being built right next to the community, so a lot of the houses will have a view of the back of the shopping center. But having a supermarket and some restaurants next door could be convenient too!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:21 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,837,610 times
This neighborhood looks to be nice. The lots are a little bigger than most neighborhoods. Good Luck on you move and welcome to Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
This neighborhood looks to be nice. The lots are a little bigger than most neighborhoods. Good Luck on you move and welcome to Charlotte.

Yeah the lots are 75' mine in Centennial is 70' and it's pretty big. MI makes a really home home.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 AM

132 posts, read 471,910 times
We're in a St Lawrence home in Highland Creek, and we have been very pleased. Also, all of the St Lawrence homes are on the cabarrus county side of the neighborhood. I am not sure when you are looking to close, but I know St Lawrence has inventory homes, and they were willing to negotiate price (which not all builders will do!)

Good luck in your decision!!

Anita

Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Yes MI has a developement in Concord. They build a nice house. Check out the Foxcroft II. Moderator cut: commercial link

Yes, I went by there and had him spec out that model with the bonus room and the Great room extention. I really like it. Wasn't as carzy about the community and how it is stuck out in a cow field. No trees!! It is in the running because of the house, it was in our price range and in Concord so I haven't counted them out yet

Old 04-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks80 View Post
Not sure of your price range, but have you also looked at the Evergreen homes in Moss Creek? They seem to build well-constructed homes. Ryan homes also has some nice floorplans on larger lots in Moss Creek (about .33 acres), but they're also at the high price end for that community (mid to upper 300's).

Highland Creek isn't far from Moss Creek, and that's a huge community with a bunch of builders. St. Lawrence builds in there and has a good rep. DR Horton and Ryland are also there. They also have some builders at lower price points there too, so there's pretty much something for everybody

If you don't mind small lots, check out Beazer's Mountain Laurel community right at the Concord/Kannapolis border (exit 54 on I-85). Beautiful designs on the inside and out, and priced from the high 200's to the low 300's. It's an easy drive to the University area too (you'd be right off exit 54 on I-85 and would have to go to exit 45 for the university area).

Another decent community in the area is Ryland's Cannon Crossing. You can buy in there from the high 200's to low 300's, and lots are about .25 acres. Only issue there is that a shopping center is being built right next to the community, so a lot of the houses will have a view of the back of the shopping center. But having a supermarket and some restaurants next door could be convenient too!

Since my wife is going to stop working and stay home with our girls, we are going to be a one income family. I am trying to keep it $275,000 to appease my wife, she is the rational critical thinker in our relationship

Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Yes, I went by there and had him spec out that model with the bonus room and the Great room extention. I really like it. Wasn't as carzy about the community and how it is stuck out in a cow field. No trees!! It is in the running because of the house, it was in our price range and in Concord so I haven't counted them out yet

I know I really liked that house too. I wish they were building that model in Centennial I would have bought that one. I like my Worthington though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte