Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,393,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's much smaller. It's only about 17K-19K for basketball. With some clever seating, the max capacity of the place is just over 20K.
35K was the number estimated as the total attendance for the entire DNC all along, as you had pointed out in the thread about out of state police coming in.

If they knew all along there would only be 35K and they didn't want to have a half-empty stadium, they would have moved it much earlier (like they did by cancelling the event at the speedway). Now by doing it last minute they just pissed off the people that won't be able to go (even if the expected attendance was only 35K that's still 15K that can't go).

Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 AM

15,363 posts, read 12,701,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Honestly, what does it matter if this was planned all along or not.

As a person who has been involved in planning large conventions/events . . . you always have several contingency plans for various scenarios.

And what you tell the public is whatever works best for the situation that has arisen. So who cares if it is a matter of not enough attendees or if it is a matter of weather . . .

It is what it is.

I am sure there are many disappointed people, but the show goes on.
I agree

Most of the people pointing out all the negatives are doing it for political reasons...

Charlotte looks great right now.. I'll probably try to get down there on Thursday after work to take some photos. I kept saying I would avoid this event but my curiosity and camera won't let me.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
But they called it correctly. I remember reading this earlier in the week. I give them credit for not being simple parrots like the vast majority of media in the USA.
The Daily Mail?! All they do is repost stories from the wire, on their site, anyway. They didn't "call" anything, they reposted speculation from some other site.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,591,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Excitement? Enthusiasm? The Democrats have much more on their side. The republicans pretty clearly don't even like the guy the nominated!
Wrong last poll on the subject. The republicans held a 7 point advantage in on who were more Enthusiastic to vote. There is no excitement anymore with Obama. Most are disillusioned.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,591,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Predicting something doesn't mean that was the reason it happened.

If they were bussing all these extra people in then why would they need to move it? You guys aren't making sense...
I've never said a word about bussing. For moving the convention, they had sources saying it was going to be moved for days. They didn't predict it. They just reported what their sources were saying. You all can knock the UK papers all you want, but when you read stuff there, days of ahead of the mainstream US media, you learn they are doing reporting. Just not regurgitating Democratic talking points.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,393,288 times
lol, "sources"

that apparently amazing newspaper was talking about bussing.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM

488 posts, read 801,582 times
The CO even had stories of the DNCers going to bars trying to hand out tickets. They could not fill it and if a half filled stadium is depressing just think if you added the RAIN.

It never should have been moved to BANK OF AMERICA stadium in the first place. They are using the potential rain as an excuse. Yawn.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 AM

630 posts, read 1,268,689 times
Anyone who thinks the Democrats couldn't fill the stadium is deluding themselves. It's a great Fox News talking point but it's not true at all. I was lucky enough to register for a ticket to the speech. The window on Obama's website was literally open for a day and they sold out. They also have tons of people still on the waiting list for tickets. They definitely filled the stadium.

Unfortunately, 60,000 people will be left high and dry due to the decision to move it indoors. Come on people, it's the south. We deal with pop up thunderstorms all the time.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 AM

466 posts, read 817,969 times
Well, whatever the reason, I'm annoyed at how the convention has handled this. I'm a credential holder and I still haven't received an email about the move. The only reason I know is because my husband works at a newspaper and saw it move across the wire. Also, just speak directly. Stop dancing around talking about disappointment and conference calls and watch parties. Are ANY community credential holders being let in? Are shuttles into the city cancelled? Don't make people guess and make assumptions. Poor form, convention.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,992,753 times
I wonder how anyone beyond the delegates, party insiders, political hacks, the press and of course elected politicians will be able to attend Obama's acceptance speech. There isn't enough room. The press corp is already complaining that TWC arena is TINY and shouldn't have been used for this event. (IMO, the now gone Charlotte Coliseum would have worked a lot better)

I believe that everyone else has been told their ticket is canceled and to go home and hold a party for Obama instead.

So much for this being the most "accessible" convention ever. Another broken promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte