Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,359,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm not sure giving exposure to buildings who's occupants were responsible for a giant economic collapse is a great idea. Unless Obama were to come out with a finger wag and some harsh words at those buildings ("Let me be clear... <point, point, point>), it would almost give the illusion of those buildings saying "Don't worry, Barack...we got your back". It's like the most unfortunate photo op ever.
I agree lol, but I did already say that back on page 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Also, not holding his speech at Bank of America stadium might actually help the president in the long run. I'm proud of him for planning the speech there, but mother nature has stepped in on his behalf IMO. The occupy folks were waiting to make their presence known tomorrow. There most likely would have been a march against BofA, Wells Fargo, and Duke Energy.
Quote:
I think Jon Stewart did Charlotte a far better service than any skyline shot. According to the CO...
Let's not forget about MSNBC's setup in Epicentre. CNN Grill has done a similar setup. There's no doubt about it that Charlotte is finally getting some positive exposure, but the night time stadium shots seen around the world would have been the icing on the cake. Instead, the world will watch an indoor event that could be "anywhere". The stadium event would have showed the city as well as the venue. Think about how past Monday Night Football games have shown Charlotte and the stadium. This is what the world would have seen during Obama's acceptance. No matter how we try to sugarcoat this, the change of venue is a missed opportunity for Charlotte to place a "face" with the city's name. We will not get a world stage event like this again probably never. Few cities ever get to host a major political convention (let alone the convention of a sitting president). It is a rare event and Charlotte is lucky to be one of those cities hosting it. We've done well so far, but the change to the arena is a big blow to the plans for both the city and the DNC. On a brighter note, it is also a big blow to the Occupy folks who were probably planning to crash the party outside of the stadium. Still though, the camera crews know how to keep "undesirables" out of the "LIVE" (actually 5-6 second delayed) video stream.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,414,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I agree lol, but I did already say that back on page 5.

Let's not forget about MSNBC's setup in Epicentre. CNN Grill has done a similar setup. There's no doubt about it that Charlotte is finally getting some positive exposure, but the night time stadium shots seen around the world would have been the icing on the cake. Instead, the world will watch an indoor event that could be "anywhere". The stadium event would have showed the city as well as the venue. Think about how past Monday Night Football games have shown Charlotte and the stadium. This is what the world would have seen during Obama's acceptance. No matter how we try to sugarcoat this, the change of venue is a missed opportunity for Charlotte to place a "face" with the city's name. We will not get a world stage event like this again probably never. Few cities ever get to host a major political convention (let alone the convention of a sitting president). It is a rare event and Charlotte is lucky to be one of those cities hosting it. We've done well so far, but the change to the arena is a big blow to the plans for both the city and the DNC.
I skimmed the thread and thought you said something about the look of the buildings against the speech.

As far as Charlotte's photo op, it's not necessary. If anything it's just a vanity shot for the people who live there. I've always believed that the real reason most people want to see the Charlotte skyline on national TV is for transplants to call back home saying, "See us on TV? Don't we look good? Didn't we do good moving here?" You really don't see other cities' residents wanting to showcase their city the way Charlotteans do. The whole "we can too" mentality (he says avoiding the "yes we can" phrase).

Old 09-05-2012, 02:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
The do postpone NFL games until things like dangerous lightning past. And since the party's candidate is making his most important speech of the year, there is also a concern that the speech will be interrupted by bad weather. Let alone safely getting 60000+ people in the concourses incase things get rough.

It's that damn Bush again.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 PM

18,468 posts, read 7,105,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
From Michael Barome, the Washington Examiner

Chuck Todd from NBC/MSNBC
"If the convention site had been picked on the basis of the contours of the hall, it would not have been held in Charlotte, ..Charlotte was chosen because David Plouffe thought it would help his boss carry North Carolina. The delegates and the press will have to make the best of it."
Tiny convention floor! | WashingtonExaminer.com
Yeah....Good luck with that.

They probably moved it to a smaller inside venue because after removing any and all references to God from their platform they were afraid they'd get hit by lightning.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,978,678 times
The 9PM BBC News just interviewed their reporter live on the ground here in Charlotte.

He reported the DNC is saying the venue change is a chance for Obama to get to know the people better in a more intimate setting found in the arena instead of highlighting his "rock star" status if he held the speech in the football stadium.

So now the weather isn't the reason. LOL.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,356,474 times
Or maybe he said the weather is giving Obama the opportunity to do that...

I highly doubt Obama would tick off at least 15,000 people so he could get to know about 5,000 people "more intimately"

Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,978,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

I highly doubt Obama would tick off at least 15,000 people so he could get to know about 5,000 people "more intimately"
LOL. I think Obama's worries about ticking off people are a lot higher than a mere 15,000. The BBC however is a center of the road leaning towards the status quo that usually gets these stories right. I'll go with their reporter.

BTW, the reality of the situation is that people are being bussed into this even from the Carolinas and Obama has a snowball's chance in hell in winning either state. The election in this state will be determined by the Jessiecrats and they are firmly in Romney's camp. He never had any chance in SC. So IMO, they don't care. It's more important to put forth the right image on TV regardless of what it does to the locals.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,973 times
Quote:
I skimmed the thread and thought you said something about the look of the buildings against the speech.

As far as Charlotte's photo op, it's not necessary. If anything it's just a vanity shot for the people who live there. I've always believed that the real reason most people want to see the Charlotte skyline on national TV is for transplants to call back home saying, "See us on TV? Don't we look good? Didn't we do good moving here?" You really don't see other cities' residents wanting to showcase their city the way Charlotteans do. The whole "we can too" mentality (he says avoiding the "yes we can" phrase).
I find your thinking here way off from reality...

Transplants from where exactly would call that a comparable "skyline" where they would think "do good moving here"?

and as for other cities in general you always see them showcasing them... so not following that comment at all.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,634,244 times
I would imagine that you have received an email by now. We received them. In this day of immediate news cycle, it would be pretty difficult to alert credential holders, stakeholders (like security and crew) and then the media. I'm disappointed also, but there is an order to business. I received my email about 2 hours after CNN reported the story. NO community credential holders are being let in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
Well, whatever the reason, I'm annoyed at how the convention has handled this. I'm a credential holder and I still haven't received an email about the move. The only reason I know is because my husband works at a newspaper and saw it move across the wire. Also, just speak directly. Stop dancing around talking about disappointment and conference calls and watch parties. Are ANY community credential holders being let in? Are shuttles into the city cancelled? Don't make people guess and make assumptions. Poor form, convention.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:59 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Or maybe he said the weather is giving Obama the opportunity to do that...

He is know for turning awkward situations around and achieving the impossible while making everyone happy. And, he does it all out of kindness disregarding his own wants and needs. I will never forget the brilliant Cash for Clunkers program that allowed so many Americans to get rid their gas guzzling GM clunkers and buy economic imports from Japan and Korea. Yep, he will work it out. It is only rain and lightening. No worries.

This is part of the excitement that many thrive upon during such worldwide events as presidential conventions. It is great. What will happen next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte